It''s Over...Move On!

ArtTang

Advanced
Feb 14, 2003
Can this letter from the TWU be verified? I would love to know if it is true and what the other two unions are doing about it if it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Art

As much as I wanted this T/A to be rejected, it seems now to be over. As much as it may sound to be a cliche, it''s time to move on. Looking for court injuctions, Dept of Labor to investigate the vote or an act of God, I would say it is what it is. No sense in harping on it. I know it will really set in when the first concession reflected paycheck is cut, but continually agruging what a debacle and sham this whole thing has been will prove futile. The company always gets what it wants and gets it easier with the help of the union leadership.

It''s not over if the unions don''t sign off on the contracts.

from the Directors update
[url="http://www.twuatd.org"]http://www.twuatd.org[/URL]
April 17, 2003

TO: All TWU/AA Members

Dear Sisters & Brothers:

Yesterday, as contract ratification for all three union groups was being completed, the Company made a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, indicating it had established a special pension fund for its executives. The existence of this fund was never revealed to our consultants while they examined AA''s books, nor were we informed of it in the bargaining which led to the concessions we agreed to in order to avoid a bankruptcy. We regard the failure to timely disclose the existence of this fund in bargaining by American as a material breach of its obligations to provide relevant information.

The concessions our members barely ratified the other day were based on the premise of shared sacrifice. This fund is the opposite of shared sacrifice and calls into question the basis of each of our contracts. We have signed no new agreement, and in light of the disclosure in AA''s SEC filing, we must reconsider whether we will sign off, even if the consequence is a bankruptcy. Unless the Company reforms itself on the issue of executive compensation, there is no basis to cooperate in its effort to survive.

Sincerely & fraternally,

James C. Little
Director Air Transport Division
Intl. Administrative Vice President

What is the point. CEO David Segal gave Steven Wolf and company 40 million on the way to BK court. Upper management has always taken care of themselves, that is what golden parachutes are all about. If you were in charge, would it have been any different? Look at the rest of the corporate world. Jack Weltsch etc. Don Carty and the boys are no different. Does it make them bad? Probably not.

Just saw the letter on the hanger floor 30min''s ago. It''s legit. Don''t care for what management has done and it was wrong not to disclose this, but I can''t see what can be accomplished now. OK we don''t sign. Now what? Are we going to get a better deal? I think its just posturing on Littles part.

----------------
On 4/17/2003 3:43:27 PM AAmech wrote:

Just saw the letter on the hanger floor 30min's ago. It's legit. Don't care for what management has done and it was wrong not to disclose this, but I can't see what can be accomplished now. OK we don't sign. Now what? Are we going to get a better deal? I think its just posturing on Littles part.

----------------​
Posturing is right.

The TWU spread the fear of Bankruptcy for weeks before the vote and has insisted that BK would result in much worse of a contract from our members.

NOW, Little claims to be in a position to disregard that vote of fear and force the company into BK? What about thousands of jobs lost and work outsourced? What about Pensions? Does Little actually think the company has not been watching his communication to the members. Watch Carty call the foolish bluff and spank Little Jim into submission.

What amazes me is that the TWU acuallty appears to think it was a major issue that the company either lied or did not disclose information. How long has Little worked for AA anyway? Even the weakest sheep of the flock were not surprised by this revelation.

FIRE the inept TWU before your worst FEARS are realized.

The letter is legit, but it means nothing. So even if Carty changes what about the extra years he was credited and all the other perks? Besides if these contracts go through Carty will make up the difference other ways. Little is just posturing so the membership doesnt call for his resignation.

----------------
On 4/17/2003 4:07:40 PM Bob Owens wrote:

The letter is legit, but it means nothing. So even if Carty changes what about the extra years he was credited and all the other perks? Besides if these contracts go through Carty will make up the difference other ways. Little is just posturing so the membership doesnt call for his resignation.

----------------​
Can we call for his resignation?

Does he have to leave if we call for it?