July - IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The topic is Fleet Service not 700UW.

What fleet service does US Air have at BOS? Or did the IAM facilitate and encourage management to close the operation here along with the pilots and flight attendants in March 2010?

Josh

BOS is a mainline station and still has fleet service.

But it's still a smaller operation than in years past, fewer IAM represented employees too. Clearly the IAM was ineffective at saving those jobs. At the same time non-union JetBlue, Delta, and Virgin America have all added flights here.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Are you that obtuse?

If a company downsizes be it union or non-union there will be layoffs, you are just a fire starter, grow up. At least with a union they had a choice to transfer to keep jobs.

And Delta and AA have both cut flghts, and VX has what a flight or two to LAX and SFO? Routes US never flew.

BOSTON (CBS) – Delta Air Lines’ growth in Boston has stalled. On March 25, Delta will end all nine of its daily flights to Washington’s Reagan Airport. The airline that introduced new international flights to London and Paris last year, with seasonal service, is cutting back in that area too. Delta will offer only one daily flight to London over the peak summer months and will not have service to Paris this year.

And from last year:
Delta Air Lines will stop flying to Boston from Pittsburgh beginning Nov. 1.

Gee Josh, looks like your wrong again!

As as a candidate with the Leadership For Progress Team, in the recent IAM DL 141 Officer Election, I would like to extend my congratulations to the District 141 Rising Team for their apparent victory in the election. Although the "official tally" is yet to be announced, the 141 Rising Team, by unofficial tally is the endorsed selection of the members of IAM District 141. In my view the membership has spoken.
As stated in previous posts, I remain committed to work with the elected leadership team in an effort to promote the best interests of the membership going forward.
Additionally, I would hope everyone will do the same. The election is behind us... the membership has spoken... it's time to unite and confront our true adversary.
Congratulations are in order to the 141 Rising Team.
Fraternally,
ograc

Reactions: 5 people
As as a candidate with the Leadership For Progress Team, in the recent IAM DL 141 Officer Election, I would like to extend my congratulations to the District 141 Rising Team for their apparent victory in the election. Although the "official tally" is yet to be announced, the 141 Rising Team, by unofficial tally is the endorsed selection of the members of IAM District 141. In my view the membership has spoken.
As stated in previous posts, I remain committed to work with the elected leadership team in an effort to promote the best interests of the membership going forward.
Additionally, I would hope everyone will do the same. The election is behind us... the membership has spoken... it's time to unite and confront our true adversary.
Congratulations are in order to the 141 Rising Team.
Fraternally,
ograc

Cargo,

I would like to congratulate you for running a clean campaign… you never resorted to outlandish spin... you never engaged in personal attacks. Your commitment to unity is appreciated as well your support.

After reading the last few pages… I am literally appalled to the point of nausea from the childish garbage Nelson, and his little helpers are posting. I’ll assure you... Nelson will NEVER post a comment like yours committing himself to the victorious Leadership that defeated him.

Further, attacking 700 like they have has shed a whole new light on what they are about. 700 has repeatedly provided an abundance of accurate information like actual case history, state and federal laws, RLA procedures… along with fact after fact... that has proven them wrong again, and again!

The only thing they have to counter with is juvenile gobbledygook like… “You were a Lav-Truck driver”… “We wish you would go away” etc. You seem to be reasonably intelligent man with aspirations to serve… how do you feel about this nonsensical forum pollution?

My personal bet is this… we will see this effort of division escalate as the reality of rejection ferments in their bowels over time, inducing further eruptions putrid foaming of the mouth… as translated by frantic keyboard typing fingers of disdain!

Roabilly

Reactions: 4 people
Are you that obtuse?

If a company downsizes be it union or non-union there will be layoffs, you are just a fire starter, grow up. At least with a union they had a choice to transfer to keep jobs.

And Delta and AA have both cut flghts, and VX has what a flight or two to LAX and SFO? Routes US never flew.

And from last year:
Delta Air Lines will stop flying to Boston from Pittsburgh beginning Nov. 1.

Gee Josh, looks like your wrong again!

As you should know, airline schedules change regularly and sometimes add service and other times reduce service. DL has added flights at BOS in recent years while USAir has cutback. You conveniently neglect that entirely non-union jetBlue operates nearly 100 daily flights and continues adding service.

But still, IAM jobs were eliminated, maybe some the former members are working for jetBlue or in Ready Reserve positions at DL!

Josh

And I have been called a heretic for suggesting the removal of the Amateur Hour crew who represent the Membership during negotiations and termination hearings by replacing them with real experts on such matters.

I don't think there is anything heretic in using professional negotiators to get the best possible agreement for the membership. While a cba negotiated for the members by the members might be noble, high level talks are rarely in any elected representative's skill set. Nothing wrong with that, but it is still something that needs to be acknowledged/addressed by labor as a whole.

And, really, it's not like they wouldn't be going into section 6 talks w/o a prioritized agenda crafted by the workers themselves...

Cargo,

I would like to congratulate you for running a clean campaign… you never resorted to outlandish spin... you never engaged in personal attacks. Your commitment to unity is appreciated as well your support.

After reading the last few pages… I am literally appalled to the point of nausea from the childish garbage Nelson, and his little helpers are posting. I’ll assure you... Nelson will NEVER post a comment like yours committing himself to the victorious Leadership that defeated him.

Further, attacking 700 like they have has shed a whole new light on what they are about. 700 has repeatedly provided an abundance of accurate information like actual case history, state and federal laws, RLA procedures… along with fact after fact... that has proven them wrong again, and again!

The only thing they have to counter with is juvenile gobbledygook like… “You were a Lav-Truck driver”… “We wish you would go away” etc. You seem to be reasonably intelligent man with aspirations to serve… how do you feel about this nonsensical forum pollution?

My personal bet is this… we will see this effort of division escalate as the reality of rejection ferments in their bowels over time, inducing further eruptions putrid foaming of the mouth… as translated by frantic keyboard typing fingers of disdain!

Roabilly
Never a fan of personal attacks or belittling others based on their opinions. The pollution muddies the water.The practice takes us off pertinent subjects. The end result is counter productive and divisive.
ograc

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think there is anything heretic in using professional negotiators to get the best possible agreement for the membership. While a cba negotiated for the members by the members might be noble, high level talks are rarely in any elected representative's skill set. Nothing wrong with that, but it is still something that needs to be acknowledged/addressed by labor as a whole.

And, really, it's not like they wouldn't be going into section 6 talks w/o a prioritized agenda crafted by the workers themselves...

Kev,

I completely agree, but I sense there is a real anti-intellectual, anti-educational movement within our Membership and Leadership, as if someone with a college degree was "a suit" and really a corporate shill who cannot support or relate to the rank and file fleet service agents.

For example, a few years ago, I received a copy of the IAM magazine on the front cover was a group picture of the Executive Committee (?) and along inside there were individual bios about each of them, but startlingly lacking was any mention of a 4-year degree from a recognized college or university! This is the "executive" leadership of our organization?!

I posted my opinion within this forum, and I roundly attacked by other FSAs who thought that education to be grossly over rated and the E.C. has accountants and attorneys watching over them. Based upon the results of our termination hearings, our vague CBAs, the pension debacle, and various other grievances, I question if a phone call was ever made to those experts! In essence, our Membership (if this board is any represention) wanted guys who fixed pay phones and changed aircraft tires for 30 years to represent our interests in the corporate and legal world instead of outside, white-collared professionals who speak the language of the Courts and business world, as I think there is a strong element of distrust for anything corporate or educated.

To twist a movie phrase, "Failure is only an option," so long as we continue to place our trust in people who might be our buddies and those from the same occupational background, instead of demanding professionals with the experience, education, and the fiduciary responsibilities to provide the neccessary protections from Management excess and a reasonable CBA.

So Espouses Jester.

Kev,

I completely agree, but I sense there is a real anti-intellectual, anti-educational movement within our Membership and Leadership, as if someone with a college degree was "a suit" and really a corporate shill who cannot support or relate to the rank and file fleet service agents.

For example, a few years ago, I received a copy of the IAM magazine on the front cover was a group picture of the Executive Committee (?) and along inside there were individual bios about each of them, but startlingly lacking was any mention of a 4-year degree from a recognized college or university! This is the "executive" leadership of our organization?!

I posted my opinion within this forum, and I roundly attacked by other FSAs who thought that education to be grossly over rated and the E.C. has accountants and attorneys watching over them. Based upon the results of our termination hearings, our vague CBAs, the pension debacle, and various other grievances, I question if a phone call was ever made to those experts! In essence, our Membership (if this board is any represention) wanted guys who fixed pay phones and changed aircraft tires for 30 years to represent our interests in the corporate and legal world instead of outside, white-collared professionals who speak the language of the Courts and business world, as I think there is a strong element of distrust for anything corporate or educated.

To twist a movie phrase, "Failure is only an option," so long as we continue to place our trust in people who might be our buddies and those from the same occupational background, instead of demanding professionals with the experience, education, and the fiduciary responsibilities to provide the neccessary protections from Management excess and a reasonable CBA.

So Espouses Jester.
Could we contribute the lack of education to the forty cent raise we received yesterday????????????????????????????????????

Never a fan of personal attacks or belittling others based on their opinions. The pollution muddies the water.The practice takes us off pertinent subjects. The end result is counter productive and divisive.
ograc

You observation is 100% correct... actually division IS the objective!

I call on all posters dedicated to solidarity to demote these individuals by demonstrating their reputation for what it really is... clicking their negative (red) arrow at the bottom right of each post will leave an indelible record of your opinion, that will follow them everywhere!

(You must be logged on to do this... and you get 4 every 24 hours!)

Reactions: 3 people
Jester,

Why are you making things up again? When you pointed out about the lack of education I proved you wrong, so here we go again!

R. Thomas Buffenbarger has a degree from the National Labor College.

Robert Roach earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Labor and Management Relations at the Empire State Labor College and is a graduate of the Labor Studies program at the Cornell School of Labor. Was the GVP of Transportation and now is GST

And the men who are on the EC have years of labor experience.

I will take people who have the job and street smarts over someone who has no idea about what they are negotiating about. And the IAM uses professional actuaries, financial people and lawyers during negotiations.

Read their bios and they have more labor experience than any professional negotiator who has no idea of the history and the intent of the contract language.

http://www.goiam.org/index.php/headquarters/executive-council

Reactions: 2 people
If the IAM leadership is so great why have they delivered concessions upon concessions to their members and been decertified at several carriers?

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.