Jumpseat (pilots)

You should only be able to carry the amount of Jumpseat riders as to the number of jumpseats on the aircraft. What gets me, is that they ride in 1st free of charge while other employees have to pay for it. But then again, its the Pilots Union that failed to honor the MTC strike back in 90's, so what should we expect.

FYI, As of September 26th (+/- a few days), UAL will have unlimited jumpseating.....something that is long overdue. We're also CASS. Welcome to all.

DENVER, CO

Hope777 said:
You should only be able to carry the amount of Jumpseat riders as to the number of jumpseats on the aircraft. What gets me, is that they ride in 1st free of charge while other employees have to pay for it. But then again, its the Pilots Union that failed to honor the MTC strike back in 90's, so what should we expect.
[post="297788"][/post]​

Get over it. What does that have to do with this topic anyway?

With staffing issues at Usairways,it would be nice if the oa jumpseaters would list as a non-rev,.When there is one agent working the flight,its helps when the oa jumpseater comes up and is listed as a non-rev.They fill out jumpseat form,agent gives them seat,and they are on there way.When there is not listing ,the agent has to stop what they are doing list the jumpseat.There is not much groung time on these ac,so, a little help goes along way. They can list like when they used to but ID90's.

Most agents have no problem processing jumpseaters. Where they sit in the cabin is up to the Captain's discretion. USAirways permits as many jumpseaters as there are open seats in the cabin. Rarely are there more than one or two.

This statement is incorrect...

When a OA jumpseater checks in, they are put in the coputer as a A6. We then assign them a seat the same way we assign a non-rev or a rev stand-by passenger. They are in the count as a passenger not as a jumpseat.

However, when I posted this I was not in anyway saying we should stop the giving out free seat to pilots but rather saying all employees should have the same right. If the pilots who live in different cities than there base are able to jumpseat why not F/A's. What about the agents who transfer to other cities and left their families behind. I only feel that if one group gets something - all group should as well.

Also, not only do OA crews not list, our own crews don't list either. They wait until they get to the airport to make sure the flight isn't late or XLD. They don't want crew tracking to see they missed there trip due to commuting....

fatherabraham said:
Statio,

Not an expert. However, I think it was the best solution going after 911
to deal with the majority of pilots who commute for many varied reasons,
some beyond their contol or desire. Recall that prior 911 the TSA did not have their current policies against airline jumpseats. Changing rules midstream is always a challenge.

That being said, I hate jumpseating and seldom if ever do it. That feeling is common and not to be considered a perk in getting to work situations by me.

FA
[post="297642"][/post]​

There was no TSA pre-9/11.

Most agents have no problem processing jumpseaters. Where they sit in the cabin is up to the Captain's discretion. USAirways permits as many jumpseaters as there are open seats in the cabin. Rarely are there more than one or two.

You should only be able to carry the amount of Jumpseat riders as to the number of jumpseats on the aircraft. What gets me, is that they ride in 1st free of charge while other employees have to pay for it. But then again, its the Pilots Union that failed to honor the MTC strike back in 90's, so what should we expect

Get over it! It's the way it is. OA's can't list in advance. A1's can, but are not required to.

StatioRat said:
They wait until they get to the airport to make sure the flight isn't late or XLD. They don't want crew tracking to see they missed there trip due to commuting....
[post="297856"][/post]​

HP has a 2-flight commuter policy.
Commuters are to try two flights early that would get them to PHX in time for check-in. If they don't make it due to delays or cancellations, they are not penalized, but simply removed from the portion of the trip they will miss. And they lose the credit, of course.
This does not apply to full flights, we need to plan around those.

THey can list as a non-rev!Some of the oa folks do it already.Why can't we all work together and get along.

flyin2low said:
Get over it! It's the way it is. OA's can't list in advance. A1's can, but are not required to.
[post="297926"][/post]​

Boy are you mistaken.... Gate agent can not book jumseat. If a jumpseater comes to the gate we can only use the "MM" booking code.

Statio,
Why the envy here. You get your own perks too. I don't know what station you work at, but lets say Boston. You want to fly on Blue to Florida? How about United to Hawaii, Irish to Dublin,etc. You know all you do is fill out that form, give it to your manager, and presto! You have your comp'ed pass. Free I might add. Maybe a litt tax if tou go overseas. For you and all that are on your term pass. All of our stations have these little side deals for our agents with other airlines. Pilots F/A's and others can't get these passes.

Do I hate that pilots from other airlines can fly free on Ted but I can't? You betcha!! Pisses me off everytime it happens.

BUT, I'm not mad at the pilots, I'm po'd that my own union can't seem to figure out how to get that for us. Unlimited jumpseating.

I would LOVE to be able to fly on different airline's jumpseats (Thanks JetBlue :) )
but it takes someone (UAL AFA) to get the ball started. Someone has to be willing to give up things to get this perk. No one has done that. The pilots did that and now they all profit from it.

StatioRat said:
Can someone tell me why Jumpseat riders (Pilots) have the privilege to fly any airline they want while the rest of us have to buy ID90. I never had a problem with this when they only got on if an actual Jumpseat was available. Now that they ride in the cabin we sometimes get 5 or 6 to a flight. If a crew member chooses to live in a city other than their base, they should nonrev like everyone else. This practice needs to stop. We spend so my time booking other airline crews while we could be helping our own passengers. I just think if the crews are allowed to fly other airlines free, others in the industry should have the same right.
[post="297632"][/post]​

Pilots don't get in on those nice local station managers agreements where their agents get free passes on each others carriers. An agent friend of mine who used to be based in MIA got to go everywhere on almost all the carriers down there without buying ID90's. It was an intra-airport courtesy thing. Pilots not eligible, but I never whined about a fellow employee getting a good-deal perk if it came his way. And this wasn't contractually negotiated; strictly good ol' boy I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you-scratch-mine stuff.