Letter To All Us Flight Attendants

tahitigirl

Senior
Aug 19, 2005
I just wanted to share the letter sent to all F/As. It is good to receive such a nice and positive note. :)

Hello All US Airways Flight Attendants:

It is my privilege to introduce myself to all of you as the new Managing Director of InFlight Operations. In this role, I will oversee all of the US Airways Flight Attendants, who are located at 8 bases: BOS, CLT, DCA, LAS, LGA, PHL, PIT, PHX, and MidAtlantic Airlines that make up the new US Airways. Also, each of the base Directors/Managers and their staff will be part of the new US Airways InFlight leadership team, and will report to me. I know, I speak for all of them when I say we are all very excited to be part of the new US Airways.

As you all know, the bankruptcy court approved the merger, and we became one airline on September 27th, 2005. However, this is only the beginning of the longer process of integrating to one operating certificate. That process, which we have just begun, will take approximately 18 to 24 months. Initial meetings have been conducted with the FAA, to ensure compliance with federal regulations. During this time, we will maintain two separate organizations for writing policies and procedures, in-flight safety and in-flight regulatory compliance.

Even though we won't fly trips together for some time, I know that both groups of flight attendants share similar feelings about this merger, Cautious optimism, hope for a more viable future, as well as nervousness about seniority integration are just a few of the feelings we are all experiencing. During our transition, flight attendants may find themselves in an uncomfortable or awkward situation, such as riding the van to the hotel or standing in the same airport security line with other East or West crewmembers, and for whatever reason, no one is taking the initiative to recognize each other. At times like this, the silence can be deafening. When you find yourself in the company of East and West crewmembers, please don't be shy about speaking up and introducing yourselves. I know this states the obvious because as flight attendants we have no problem being the first to speak up; we do it every day with our customers. I simply wanted to acknowledge that we are all in this together, and remind everyone that we share more similar ground than not.

There will be a lot of rumors over the next several months, and even years, and the best way to handle those is to simply ignore them and keep doing the great job you do every day with our customers. We know this much right now; we're going to be on one team from here on out. Why not set the tone right at the first opportunity you have by acknowledging the great team we have whenever possible.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you on the line.

Sherri Shamblin
Managing Director,
InFlight Services Operations

I simply wanted to acknowledge that we are all in this together, and remind everyone that we share more similar ground than not.

I wish EVERYONE would get this point. We're all worried about pretty much the same things, east or west, and there's quite a few people who I've listened to on BOTH sides of the country that need to realize this. Thankfully, I sincerely believe a VAST majority of us do want to come together and make this airline fly.

[ I sincerely believe a VAST majority of us do want to come together and make this airline fly.

Nice to see somebody in management acknowleging the fears and frustrations of the rank and file.
Would be nice if ALL managers could address their respective work groups in such a manner.

[ I sincerely believe a VAST majority of us do want to come together and make this airline fly.

Nice to see somebody in management acknowleging the fears and frustrations of the rank and file.
Would be nice if ALL managers could address their respective work groups in such a manner.

I agree completely--this message needs to be sent to all work groups.

It is all one company now....let's give it a chance.

My best to you all....

Great post. I think you guys will be a success! Now gets some more widebody jets on the property and more resemble a world class low cost carrier! :):):):)

You're lucky to work for an organization that sends out a positive email to its employess AND acknowledges the "elephant in the room." Now, that is healthy leadership!

Well, lets just take a "wait and see" what kind of new refomed DCP (disciplines policies) are presented late November or early Dec.

That will tell me all I need to know about this new managment and their new vision for all, as well as their new vision of merging cultures.

Let's see how much they value customer service and those who provide it.

Yea, right, ok...nice note.

Im sure Customer Serivce will soon be receiving such a warm, caring letter from Al. C. We'll all be watching our mailbox..... :D

Well, lets just take a "wait and see" what kind of new refomed DCP (disciplines policies) are presented late November or early Dec.

That will tell me all I need to know about this new managment and their new vision for all, as well as their new vision of merging cultures.

Let's see how much they value customer service and those who provide it.

Yea, right, ok...nice note.

I agree 100%. I'm just hoping we aren't trading our b#### Sherri for a new b#### Sherri. These little witch hunts to rid the company of us old folk must end NOW. The new Sherri is going to have to do alot more than write prissy little feel good letters before I put an ounce of trust in her.

Sorry, but I've seen this sweet little sugar tactic too many times while the same sugar grinders fire people because they have true blue illnessess and MUST call in sick, placing them further down on the dependability list. These kind of people play the "where them down" tactic until many are too weak to fight the BS and either quit or are fired. And the answer back? A smartass GRIEVE IT.

I feel there is a concerted effort to rid US East of as many senior f/a's as possible. Even good old "new" Sherri had to make her dig about the senority issue. Perhaps if we continue the present path, the senority issue won't be an issue. Sorry, I have no trust here and after the "new" management team tried to undermine AFA and the US East f/a's by planting the bug in the ear of the US West f/a's to change bylaws. I have NO confidence. IF Sherri really wants us to be as one, she would either apologize or have whatever idiot apologize for attempting to divide two groups of workers before we have even become one. It is NOT her role or ANY MANAGER'S role to interfer with the union's work. I resent this very much and am appaud that I seem to be the only one who sees the danger in what happened earlier concerning the DOH issue. This was about WORST tactics than I have ever encountered with the bozos of "old" management....not sneaky like this group. And then to send that precious letter?

It isn't Miss Sherri's job to win me over and it's not my job to win HER over...but she has ALOT of fences to mend here. I don't mean to rain on inflights parade, but somebody better start standing up to the realities of the MANY injustices happening over here at US East.

The purple elephant just arrived.

I agree 100%. I'm just hoping we aren't trading our b#### Sherri for a new b#### Sherri. These little witch hunts to rid the company of us old folk must end NOW. The new Sherri is going to have to do alot more than write prissy little feel good letters before I put an ounce of trust in her.

Sorry, but I've seen this sweet little sugar tactic too many times while the same sugar grinders fire people because they have true blue illnessess and MUST call in sick, placing them further down on the dependability list. These kind of people play the "where them down" tactic until many are too weak to fight the BS and either quit or are fired. And the answer back? A smartass GRIEVE IT.

I feel there is a concerted effort to rid US East of as many senior f/a's as possible. Even good old "new" Sherri had to make her dig about the senority issue. Perhaps if we continue the present path, the senority issue won't be an issue. Sorry, I have no trust here and after the "new" management team tried to undermine AFA and the US East f/a's by planting the bug in the ear of the US West f/a's to change bylaws. I have NO confidence. IF Sherri really wants us to be as one, she would either apologize or have whatever idiot apologize for attempting to divide two groups of workers before we have even become one. It is NOT her role or ANY MANAGER'S role to interfer with the union's work. I resent this very much and am appaud that I seem to be the only one who sees the danger in what happened earlier concerning the DOH issue. This was about WORST tactics than I have ever encountered with the bozos of "old" management....not sneaky like this group. And then to send that precious letter?

It isn't Miss Sherri's job to win me over and it's not my job to win HER over...but she has ALOT of fences to mend here. I don't mean to rain on inflights parade, but somebody better start standing up to the realities of the MANY injustices happening over here at US East.

The purple elephant just arrived.

My My My....what a happy little camper we are!!!
First, lets address the sick time. If there is a need for FMLA, the government has made that available to all of us, and it does not count for the "dependability program". If there is a valid need, you should have no problem obtaining the leave.

As for the "dig", perhaps in your paranoia it can seem like a dig. Speaking of paranoia, whats this crap with the "concerted effort to rid US/east of as many sr. f/a's as possible"? Geeezus, get a grip! You really can get FMLA for mental stress you know.

As for undermining AFA, don't you think that if the shoe were on the other foot, that we would have done the same thing with US/west? You are lieing to yourself if you say, Oh mercy child, no...we would never do that!
I must have missed the memo that stated that Sherri/west was behind the diabolic scheme to undermine AFA, perhaps you could forward it to me.

You sound like the type of person who feels the world owes them. Clue honey....this company owes you nothing! YOU owe the company.

Wasnt that long ago that we fought the us vs them, ie north/south, and now this garbage with east vs west.
pathetic!

Latest posts