Letter To Dave Siegel From Afa

Lucifer said:
What reserve in their right mind likes the new resreve system..junior or senior? I haven't found one yet! The only people who would like this system are the ones who don't like to fly at all because that is what s happening. Reserves will rarely fly over the 71 hour minimum guarantee. Sorry.....but most reserves cannot survive on a 71 hour paycheck if they are lucky enough to get that. This new system does not benefit anyone but Management. Just another way to chop off the headcount.
People.....wake up and smell the coffee!
Lucifer,
Actually, most very "junior" reserves have been flying 1 trip for the past 6 months if they were lucky. A few trips in our eyes is better than 1 or none.
Don't talk to me about surviving on guarantee... I felt it...I LIVED IT!
I know it isn't easy. I had to give up everything but my car in order to survive. Nobody cared that the "junior" flight attendants were losing homes, cars, and filing BK. Now that everyone is hurting the "senior" folks are crying FOUL. Nobody cared when they flew 20 hours over their options while some of us had NO HOURS! Nobody cared when we sat in base for days on end spending more money to live than we were making!
Back to my original point. If we wouldn't have abused it (NOT EVERYONE) this probably wouldn't be an issue.
I DON'T want to see anymore flight attendants lose their jobs! I never said that!
The reality is that it IS going to happen...my spot will be gone as well. Many of the "junior" folks want set free. In fact many f/a's period want set free.
Is that my fault? Is it the union's fault? Who's fault is it then? THE MANAGEMENT
My opinions are mine as you have yours. For my "fellow f/a's", (my friends at my seniority) it IS working for them. Afterall, history as proven that flight attendants are selfish (overflying). You can't fault anyone IF they like to finally be working.

lindy wrote:
Based on the foregoing, does this not imply that some F/A's are reporting to work with mood altering, prescriptive drugs in their system? Is this not against the FAA mandated drug policy? Does this not send up a "RED FLAG" to management, the FAA, and our passengers that their is an increased possibility of F/A's working when they should not?

No, silly. As Pitbull points out, and as you state in your comment, these are prescriptive drugs. Antidepressents and antianxiety meds are the main things we are talking about, not non-prescriptive self-medication (you know, like a 3 martini managerial lunch).

It really does say something about the dehumanizing effect of this company's treatment of its employees that (1) there is a prevelance of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety prescriptive medication amongst its employees and (2) management's main response is to imply there should be some sort of witch-hunt against people who are NOT in violation of FAA drug policies.

I'm glad Pitbull is willing to air this dirty laundry. If the dirty laundry of cut-rate subcontracted maintenance practices by US Airways-Mesa-AirMidwest-Raytheon-S.M.A.R.T. had been aired earlier, things might have turned out differently for the 21 people aboard US Airways Express Flight 5481.

Keep blowing that whistle, Pitbull!

-Airlineorphan

TWice,

Here's an epiphany for you... THE MOST JUNIOR F/AS ARE THE ONES WHO OVER FLEW... just and FYI for ya. Wasn't the block holders, or the senior reserves that got their time in. NOPE. It was mostly the junior reserves.

PITbull said:
Curious. I would like to hear their insight on it, just do get another viewpoint.
Pit, You should contact the LEC 89 President...as he is very good at knowing the needs of his members, especailly on this issue. You could learn a lot from him. :D

Truth,

See you finally figured how to get on here. I know who you are, Eistein, probablly need much assistance. Get ready to play much Chess with me. I will eat you up and spit you out!!!

Welcome to the boards....I already know who you are. The below is specifically for you, newbie. Read and weep!

I'll be damned. You mean the Union Rep. SOB, from council 89, who stuffed our PIT mailboxes with his crap on NO MERGER. Most he ever ever wrote in his life. WHICH WE ALL KNOW HE CAN'T WRITE OR SPELL, So someone wrote all his literature. Why? Cause he doesn't write at all. As far as his passion, he always has a motive, need to read between the lines. Oh, by the way. those letters are out of PIT boxes. Nice try.

But, the MEC has the ability to "keep him at bay". Nope. You can drink his kool-aide; its brainwashing fluid to me.

PITbull said:
TWice,

Don't oh "pitty" me. I know damn well you can't play Chess, that's why I want to play you. You know me well enough that I can perform many functions at one time. YOu of all people should know this by now.

Please let me know who in hell is in love with this system? Let me know what option they are on. Cause if it is 55, they don't want to be called.

Curious. I would like to hear their insight on it, just do get another viewpoint.

You obviously, don't count.

"Seniors hate change"......just you wait.
LMFAO.........

Seriously, I will contact you and give you some contact numbers of people to talk to.

Now get off my back will ya???? LOL

WHY DON'T I COUNT?????????? lol

PITbull said:
TWice,

Here's an epiphany for you... THE MOST JUNIOR F/AS ARE THE ONES WHO OVER FLEW... just and FYI for ya. Wasn't the block holders, or the senior reserves that got their time in. NOPE. It was mostly the junior reserves.
WHEN????

I will contact the Pit Local40 Pres and check this one out don't you worry.
I will get back to you on this one.

I would find that very hard to believe as usually I was number 10 or higher on QC and future NEVER got to us.

THIRED!!!

OK, sweetie, you contact the PIT LEC Pres. quick.

Don't forget to bring her a cup of coffee. You know how she likes that.:D

Put your finger in there to sweeten it up.....

My resume is still posted on Monster and Hot Jobs! WHY??? Because I am responsible for me and those I love. NOT AFA, NOT US Airways, ME, I am the only person I know who has my best interestes at heart 100% of the time and even that's debatable when I look back on some of my career moves.

PineyBob, people like you kill me. It takes a team to run an airline, not freelance salesmen. Look, I respect what you do, it isn't easy. Understand this team of people is fighting for what most people want, respect, dignity, and loyalty rewarded. Thats the problem with this country anymore, loyalty is not rewarded. In fact, loyalty has become a back office joke that's why resume hubs like Monster.com and HotJobs are flourishing. It's all about the brand called you, not about the team anymore. No wonder unions are dying. No wonder corporate America is dying. PineyBob, let's get down to the nitty gritty here. You are just incensed that a group of employees has the guts to stand up and fight for what they believe in. To call managers on their mistakes. Deep down you envy them because they are fighting for something you wish you had the guts to stand up for but can't because YOU decided to be a lone wolf. Don't be so myopic.

PITbull said:
TWice,

Pit bull, I beg to differ. Look at the reserve sheets in Charlotte from about a year ago or whenever it was that the company started cracking down on those who overflew. There were many reserves overflying their option with one in particular who blocked 120+ many, many times on his 105 hr option who happened to be at the top of the list of reserves by choice. (When I didn't get my time I would check to see if he had deadhead or soft time and that was not the case.) As a matter of fact, there was one who flew 10-20+ hrs over her option for over a year to pay for her boob job and felt no guilt whatsoever. And, no, I was not always able to get my time in. My first 6 months in Charlotte, I flew one trip and had to live on about $800 a month. Turnabout is fair play and I wish them well and hope they enjoy living on Ramen noodles and the store brand tomato soup like I did all of those months.

Hula Girl, :up: "Heard it!!"

Maybe we wouldnt have lost FIVE THOUSAND of our TEN THOUSAND flight attendants if some greedy people hadnt chosen to overfly.

I'll be happy to introduce them to the many different flavours of Top Ramen myself. :rolleyes:

No doubt Hula,

We had folks over flying. But the MEC receives this info monthly and anyone who is in the office can view this list if they request, and thre are many junior resrves, who were between 5 years and 10 that over flew, even by 10- 20 hours. You wre citing 1 person. There are many folks who gave up their days off to fly. Even if you went over 5 hours purposely, its overfly.

PITbull said:
Lindy,

Beside you being a "lap dog" for management who I found out reports all my posts to senior mangement, the medications that the f/as are on ARE PRESCRIBED, IDIOT. They are NOT illegal. But, obviously you do not know the difference.

We have many f/as who are on anti depressants. Should I hide that fact. Should I join hands with mangement and give half truths, or hey, lets pretend, this doesn't exist at all.

IF YOU GIVE A DAMN, then copy mangement and tell them to STOP with the heavy handed disciplines, doom and gloom scenrio, threats of more BK and concessions, and leave us alone, so we can have an opportunity to repair.

THought I would give you your own little note "best friend".
PITbull,

1. You have no idea who I am or what I do. I have taken great pains to keep my identity anonymous. Your sophomoric, self-serving statement that I am a lap-dog for managment is amusing. Keep up the insults. It undermines your credibility as a spokesperson.

2. As stated in my post, I did refer to prescriptive drugs. You have stated in previous threads of the anxiety and depression faced by many F/A's. In no way am I trying to minimize the need for these drugs. My point is how the FAA, and to a lesser degree the Company, would respond to any covered employee whose performance was compromised by any mood altering drug.

Let me cite a few sources. The FAA Supervisor's Handbook as well as FAA Order 3910.1C..Substance Abuse..states "Employees using physician-prescribed drugs that could affect performance must immediately make this fact known to their supervisors so that appropriate action can be taken to eliminate the real or potential danger. As appropriate, an employee may be placed on leave or assigned other duties."

Dr. Robert Rigg, FAA Flight surgeon, has written that the anti-depressant Paxil is on a list of psychotropic drugs the FAA lists as "disqualifying," meaning that use is not currently allowed. He states, "It's mood altering and it could have a big impact as far as what's going on upstairs. There are really two issues here. One is the effect the drug itself has on a person, but the other is the underlying conditions for which the drug is prescribed. Everybody gets depressed, and it may be bad enough to be disqualifying. But use of Paxil definitely is disqualifying."

I stand by my previous post. To bring this situation to a public forum is a disservice to the membership of AFA. Your need to to use this very personal, private issue to promote your self-appointed agenda is repugnant and, to use your favorite word, disingenuous.

Lindy :down: