Summer Timetable...new Services

MiAAmi said:
Any more news on that 5th European flight out of Miami?
[post="267424"][/post]​

Supposedly, if it is a go, it will be Brussels (to feed SN Brussels Africa flights; Miami is the third largest US-Africa O&D market, after NYC and DC). We should know by the end of the month if AA goes ahead with it.

MAH4546 said:
Supposedly, if it is a go, it will be Brussels (to feed SN Brussels Africa flights; Miami is the third largest US-Africa O&D market, after NYC and DC). We should know by the end of the month if AA goes ahead with it.
[post="267426"][/post]​

MAH4546,

Is SN Sabena? I thought they were gone. I can't remember the entry to decode airlines (Skysheimers, ya know) but I entered W*/SN and got SN/Delta Air Connection.

When we had South African Airways in MIA (allied with AA), those 747s seemed to be quite the cash cow, with MANY connections to AA. AE agents worked the flights though, not AA, so I can't tell you specifics.

I've always thought it was a shame they allied with DL in ATL but my personal feeling was that it occurred during the birth of the "ONEWORLD" alliance. I think that it may have been political given our relationship with BA.

That or pure money, I don't know.

I think you are a pilot so you will probably be able to answer this...do the 777s not have the range to fly to Capetown (or the dreaded Tenerife)? Or is it the 2 engine restriction?

I'm just curious. Back in '97 and '98 SAA had full cabins in Business and First and my understanding was that F/C fares were around $15,000 R/T (probably not as much, these days).

It just seems that if MIA is 3rd in O/D traffic to South Africa, AA should be exploring that potential unless there are fleet restrictions.

If fleet restriction is the case, would the cost of an additional fleet type (747) outweigh the revenue potential?

Coop

SLT

flydcoop said:
MAH4546,

Is SN Sabena? I thought they were gone. I can't remember the entry to decode airlines (Skysheimers, ya know) but I entered W*/SN and got SN/Delta Air Connection.

SN is not Sabena. Sabena is gone. SN Brussels was formed after Sabena to pick-up Sabena's lucrative African network.

I think you are a pilot so you will probably be able to answer this...do the 777s not have the range to fly to Capetown (or the dreaded Tenerife)? Or is it the 2 engine restriction?

I am not a pilot, but the answer is yes, they can fly the route, but not without some weight and other restrictions that would essentially make the flight unprofitable. AA actually looked at starting MIA-CPT/JNB right after the SAA codeshare ended, but it can't be done profitablly with their 777s. However, it is a perfect 787 route. As it stands, however, the media leaked last month that Nationwide Airways is expeceted to open up 3x weekly MIA-CPT-JNB service next year.

It just seems that if MIA is 3rd in O/D traffic to South Africa, AA should be exploring that potential unless there are fleet restrictions.
[post="267938"][/post]​

It is fleet restrictions. Again, the 787 is really the perfect aircraft for this route. It can fill based on O&D alone.

Miami is the 3rd largest O&D market to Africa in general, not sure about South Africa. Most of Miami's Africa traffic is going to Johannesburg, followed by Cape Town, Lagos, Dakar, Cairo, and Nairobi.

Raleigh-Pensacola is already gone. That was quick, lasted two weekends!

Also, mainline returns to one Greensboro-Dallas service on 23 August 2005.

In addition, Omaha-O"Hare will get a daily mainline service on 23 August 2005, in addition to the six daily Eagle flights.

And Miami-JFK will get a 7th daily flight for the summer season, operated with a 763.

coolflyingfool said:
I thought that just SJC-OGG was going, not HNL also. How many flights is SJC down to then? Have a good day.
[post="269972"][/post]​

Both are gone after June. SJC will be down to only 17 mainline and 28 Eagle flights in July...

Mainline:
AUS - 3x
DFW - 7x
LAS - 1x
NRT - 1x
ORD - 4x
SNA - 1x

Eagle:
LAX - 9x
SAN - 9x
SNA - 10x

Boston, Honolulu, Maui, New York City-JFK, and San Luis Obispo were discontinued this year, joining Denver, Miami, Paris, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh (announced, never started), Seattle, St. Louis, and Taipei, among others.

Thanks for the info MAH4546. If you know, how many gates does AA have in SJC? Hawaiian just announced they are starting SJC-HNL in fall with their B763. Maybe AA can work on a codeshare for that route. It is hard to believe that SJC has gone from a pretty nice sized hub, down to just 45 flights a day. Just my thoughts..........

Some more MQ/AX/AA changes on 23 August:

Raleigh-St. Louis will go from 6x MQ to 4x AX
Charlotte-Dallas will go from 6x AA to 4x AA/2x MQ

And on 9 June:
Nashville-Dallas will go from 7x AA/1x MQ to 8x AA

Three new routes:

O'Hare-Savannah, 2x daily ERJ-140, 02Jul05
Miami-Dayton, 1x daily ERJ-135, 01Aug05
Miami-Greensboro, 1x daily ERJ-135, 01Aug05

The new daily CMH-MIA flights are selling very well, hopefully we will see either a second non-stop or possibly mainline on this route this winter. The loads on CLT-LGA are looking well also and the ATL-LGA flights are doing well too. As we all know sometimes full flights don't always equal profitable flights so we will have to wait and see what the winter schedule brings us.

MiAAmi said:
The new daily CMH-MIA flights are selling very well, hopefully we will see either a second non-stop or possibly mainline on this route this winter.
[post="273811"][/post]​

I found out just yesterday that MIA-CMH might become just like MIA-IND: one daily 738 and one daily ERD. The flight does very well.

Also, these are this is the current domestic expansion being looked at from Miami

ERJs:
Austin, San Antonio, Toledo, Birmingham, Greer, Knoxville, Mobile, Savannah, Pensacola, Lexington, Huntsville

CR7s:
Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Ottawa, Milwaukee

738s:
San Diego, Kansas City, Aguadilla (PR), Providence

757s:
Phoenix, Seattle

Miami-Birmingham is supposedly a go, we should see it in October or November, along with at least one or two of the ERJ cities. The CR7 cities won't happen for a while, because AEagle does not have enough CR7s. So that is long-term planning. Of the mainline expansion, Phoenix and Kansas City are looking quite likely for this winter as of now, the rest so-so. I've been hearing more and more of Aguadilla, though, they really want to get in there because of jetBlue, though from Miami, not NYC.

Not sure about Seattle. Without NRT, I'm not sure it would work. Besides I think AS flies the route with a codeshare

It would be nice to see more Intra-Florida routes too. With all the new Eagle service I wonder if we will see any expansion of the Eagle area in Miami. Gate D35 is pretty cramped right now, I can't imagine anymore flights going out of that area.