Summer Timetable...new Services

AAStew said:
Has anyone heard how the cost projections for outfitting the 757's with extra fuel tank went? AT purser conferences this year they announced that there MAY be a huge increase in European flying out of JFK on 75's. Cities thrown out were Nice, Lyon ,Frankfurt, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Amsterdam etc...
Does anyone know anything firm on this or at least semi-firm, okay I will settle for jiggly.
[post="275897"][/post]​

I can't answer your question about the price tag for long range tanks but imagine how much cheaper it would have been 15 years ago when AA bought the B-757 to have also purchased long range fuel tanks.
The whole reason [2] B-757 overwater modification lines operated at TUL for 1.5 years was to insure fleet STANDARIZATION so that ANY B-757 could be used on any of the routes that the 757 flies.
If they do not install long range tanks on ALL B-757's then they have once again defeated their own goal of FLEET STANDARDIZATION.
Guess where the AUX FUEL TANkS are installed? In the cargo compartments which means you have to give up cargo space.
Just some observations from a AMT who worked the B-757 overwater mod lines.

goingboeing said:
If they do not install long range tanks on ALL B-757's then they have once again defeated their own goal of FLEET STANDARDIZATION.
[post="275907"][/post]​

There's already a slight problem with standardization -- avionics required for RVSM. I don't think we'll be putting that equipment on all of the 757s. Then there's the pesky problem of having a subfleet with PW4000's on them instead of RB211's.

If we did put on aux tanks, hopefully we'd also upgrade the forward cabin seats to something we could actually market as a business class product, instead of selling a single cabin to Europe.

Former ModerAAtor said:
There's already a slight problem with standardization -- avionics required for RVSM.  I don't think we'll be putting that equipment on all of the 757s.  Then there's the pesky problem of having a subfleet with PW4000's on them instead of RB211's.

If we did put on aux tanks, hopefully we'd also upgrade the forward cabin seats to something we could actually market as a business class product, instead of selling a single cabin to Europe.
[post="275910"][/post]​

We added an ADF antenna and also an HF antenna as well as another ELT on the B-757 as part of the overwater modification process.

I'm not knowledgeable on other types of avionics mods needed for trips to Europe.

The overwater mods were done at TUL on AA B-757's.

Do AA's 757s really need a fuel tank in the cargo hold to make it to Europe? I thought they can make it as is (except that they have to be made Etops). Does CO's 757 have fuel tanks in the cargo hold? According to boeing's website, the range chart on the 757-200 shows it can make it as far as Warsaw from JFK. And since were are talking about maintanence, can a 767-200 be converted to a 767-200ER? And what would have to be done to make it an "ER"?

Former ModerAAtor said:
There's already a slight problem with standardization -- avionics required for RVSM. I don't think we'll be putting that equipment on all of the 757s. Then there's the pesky problem of having a subfleet with PW4000's on them instead of RB211's.

[post="275910"][/post]​

IIRC, all 27 of the 757-231's were during TWA's operation ETOPS certified. There was in fact a small 'sub-fleet' at one time (N701-N704TW as I recall) which had 16 seats in F -similar to the CO BF configuration. This equipment was flown JFK-LIS & JFK-BCN primarily.

nyc6035 said:
IIRC, all 27 of the 757-231's were during TWA's operation ETOPS certified. There was in fact a small 'sub-fleet' at one time (N701-N704TW as I recall) which had 16 seats in F -similar to the CO BF configuration. This equipment was flown JFK-LIS & JFK-BCN primarily.
[post="275945"][/post]​

This is a true statement. All TWA 757s are 180 min ETOP certified. As far as I know, there aren't any extra fuel tanks on ETOP 757s. All the ETOPs stuff comes from engine monitering skeds, a stronger APU, vests/rafts/survival kits, and certain FAA ETOP parts. TWA in fact flew JFK-LIS and was short enough to do w/o a third pilot. The good news is that Atlantic operations only requires 120 min certification (I think). This would be easy for AA.

DFWCC said:
WOW I need to sell my AA stock and buy some AE stock. Sure looks a growing company at the expense of AA.
[post="260607"][/post]​

Ummm if you have AA stock certificates, it's time to blow the dust off them cash them in and retire.

been AMR for a Looooong time Time to lay down your weapons and come out of the jungle
:rolleyes:

MiAAmi said:
Just a note on new service.  ATL - LGA flights and CLT - LGA flights are going out full.  Lets hope that full = profitable.
[post="277032"][/post]​

I saw where a 5th CLT to ORD is being added. Any chance for a flight to JFK to be added to the NY flights, and an evening flight to MIA? Those would be great additions to the CLT market.