Market watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Visit site
Now Playing:Marketwatch
Vaughn Cordle: Delta, Northwest deal odds "greater than 50%"
Rising oil prices, plunging market values and a slowing economy could prompt a major airline merger this year. So says Vaughn Cordle, the head of AirlineForecasts. He tells John Wordock his money is on Delta and Northwest. He says the odds of those two carriers merging are "greater than 50%." A marriage, Cordle says, would be the best option for big airlines right now.

So a UA scab pilot says so and you believe it? B)

I think NW i.e., stealin, et al, should think long and hard about entertaining any merger. But we all know it is about HOW MUCH MONEY they can pocket.

I just see it with dread. The only way I see mergers working is if they begin from scratch. New name, new game. The AF/KLM path.

I know most of us would love to give up our management :down: ...but not the "Northwest" name/history. :up:

I think NW i.e., stealin, et al, should think long and hard about entertaining any merger. But we all know it is about HOW MUCH MONEY they can pocket.

I just see it with dread. The only way I see mergers working is if they begin from scratch. New name, new game. The AF/KLM path.

I know most of us would love to give up our management :down: ...but not the "Northwest" name/history. :up:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NxNW,
I totally agree with you.

If DL "is dealing", YOU know, because of Anderson, It's going to be DL/NW....NOT DL/UA. That is a 99% certainty.

As for the name...I don't see a reason WHY it could'nt be(just like I'm about to write it)....as..................."Northwest / Delta ~~ Airlines"

????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NxNW,
I totally agree with you.

If DL "is dealing", YOU know, because of Anderson, It's going to be DL/NW....NOT DL/UA. That is a 99% certainty.

????

ANDERSON

You're 100% right about that... Anderson leaving United Health for DAL was all part of the NWA/DL merger plan. Richard Anderson has some very strong connections at NWA. Doug Steenland will be out the door asap.

NWA GOLDEN SHARE / CAL MERGER

The ONLY reason UAL is part of the talks, is in order to resolve the "Golden Share" issue that NWA holds over CAL. It will either be a cash transaction, assets or routes that NWA & DL will seek from UAL for it's approval of a UAL/CAL merger. Routes and assets may be offered instead of cash in order to satisfy the balance sheet and keep the investers financial exposure at a minimun with UAL.

Ya "whale",
I'll agree with that !

Whats got me ABSOLUTELY "giddy", is that The total ramp will go union, Better than 50/50 chance(I think) that the TOTAL AMT's will go union, and a 50/50 shot, that the TOTAL F/a's will go Union.

With the Pilots being ALPA, it will be a Dovetail.
As for Non union ramp/Amt's and F/a's, if they were to get a GIFT, and get a 1 for 2, that would make a 20 year NW employee, safe from a 39 year DL employee.
For the long run, I HOPE the DL people REALIZE how friggin LUCKY, they're about to get !!!!!!!!!!

Whats got me ABSOLUTELY "giddy", is that The total ramp will go union, Better than 50/50 chance(I think) that the TOTAL AMT's will go union, and a 50/50 shot, that the TOTAL F/a's will go Union.

NewHamp,

What makes you think this? Right now you probably could NOT get 500 union authorization cards signed out of 4000 DAL mechanics. Are the scab mechanics blanketed under any union contract? If not, and trying to get Dal amts onboard for a union, well, you'd probably have an easier time getting to Kansas by clicking your heels 3 times while saying there's no place like home!

Got any numbers?

Is there a site that you can possibly provide that will give a NW contract breakdown on who's covered and what positions?

2BnB

NewHamp,

What makes you think this? Right now you probably could NOT get 500 union authorization cards signed out of 4000 DAL mechanics. Are the scab mechanics blanketed under any union contract? If not, and trying to get Dal amts onboard for a union, well, you'd probably have an easier time getting to Kansas by clicking your heels 3 times while saying there's no place like home!

Got any numbers?

Is there a site that you can possibly provide that will give a NW contract breakdown on who's covered and what positions?

2BnB

Here is a link to the current "agreement" (take this with a grain of salt, this is a slightly modified version of the imposed terms after we went on strike).

NewHamp,

2BnB

I realize that you were most likely only talking about MX, but just the same, here's who's covered by what union/agreement.

Pilots: ALPA

F/A's: AFA-CWA

Ramp service, customer service, clerical, stock clerks, plant protection, and sim. techs: IAM

Meteorology: NAMA

Dispatchers: TWU

Maint. Instructors: ATSA

MX: AMFA

NewHamp,

Got any numbers?

2BnB

or here:
www.amfa33.org/PDF/AMFAFINALJAN07CBA.pdf

Article 3-B-section 2c

The Company, or the successor, if different from the Company,
shall continue to be the employer of ALL technicians and related personnel on the Northwest System Seniority List, including any such technicians and related personnel on leave or furlough status at the time of the Successor Transaction.

If DL/NW merge I would hope it would be DOH for AMT's. This would and should include furloughed employees on both sides. Hopefuly before and futrue lay off's all the honorable men and women that walked get back to work.

It is my understanding that the scabs did not get any "super" senority and therfore would and SHOULD be the first to go in a future lay offs.

Good luck to us all.

Robert, broken, Kev, and tech:

Thanks very much for the info. Though you can never know what to expect, especially from DL's side, I am simply trying to gain some insight on the DL employee side.

Again thanks much and, like NewHamp, I am "giddy" about the possibilities of unionization!

2BnB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back