More Alpa - Us Airways Meetings

GE has $5.3 bln exposure to bankrupt airlines

Included in the sum is a $700 million debtor-in-possession financing commitment to Air Canada

NEW YORK, (Reuters) - General Electric Co. has about $5.3 billion of exposure to bankrupt airlines, the U.S. conglomerate said on Monday in its annual report.

See story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

P.S. This is the problem.

To play devil's advocate for a moment.....

I see no reason why U cannot spin off MDA (MAA, whatever), at least for all practical purposes. Just as future E170 delivery positions can be sold off, once someone else (say Mesa) has the a/c on it's certificate nothing prevents U from selling the leases on the E170's at mainline to them. Lay off all the people (after offering them a job at Mesa, maybe) and MDA disappears. Same result without MDA having to have it's own operating certificate.

The moral of the story is be careful what you wish for in the scope negotiations - you just might get it.

Jim

USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

The scope clause changes do not require membership ratification.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
I know. It's easier to sleep at night knowing that you did not actually have to throw your junior bretheren to the wolves--the MEC will handle it.

Of course, what goes around comes around:

http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=3931

How are the lines out of LGA these days, anyway? A lot of shuttle flying?

USA320Pilot,
Don't you see whats going on. Slowly but surely managment is eliminating the USAirways pilot group. First they get you to fly an aircraft which spans 70-110 seats at less than market rates. Which should be enough to ensure you keep that flying. But now, they are talking you into allowing outsourcing on the 70 seat version of this airplane. Next, and don't kid yourself it will happen, they will talk you into allowing code sharing on the 110 seat EMB-190, because after all its the same type rating and it makes sense. After they have established you will allow outsourcing of 110 seat flying, whats to stop them from outsourcing the 737s? Of course there will be no 737s, they will all be replaced by 190s flown at the regionals.

You are walking hand in hand with management toward a virtual airline, where none of the aircraft are flown by USAirways pilots. How do you justify this?
Michael

michael707767 said:
USA320Pilot,
Don't you see whats going on. Slowly but surely managment is eliminating the USAirways pilot group.
It they could use robots believe me they would. It's the current wave of Corporate America downsizing and outsourcing blaming the new world economy where it brings the American worker down while bringing up the third world countries. It makes the leaders of Corporate America get to be part of the Forbes List and at the same impoverishing the fading middle class of this country.

ClueByFour said:
USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

The scope clause changes do not require membership ratification.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
I know. It's easier to sleep at night knowing that you did not actually have to throw your junior bretheren to the wolves--the MEC will handle it.

Of course, what goes around comes around:

http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=3931

How are the lines out of LGA these days, anyway? A lot of shuttle flying?
oh thats just ginger peachy.sounds like alpa needs to have an awakening.scope clause changes w/o a member vote...IAM scope is something like our union goons agreeing to outsource the heavy maintenance function w/o member ratification...
oh,i remember the last time you guys did that it cost the pres his butt,didn't it?

If US Airways succeeds in these massive paycuts and work rule changes, rest assured, it will take down the rest of the airline industry pay with it. You see folks, the big picture is crystal clear: If US Airways becomes this vision of a low-cost carrier it will become the standard by which all other airline contracts will aspire to. Other legacy carriers will have no other option but to do similar cuts. Pretty damn sad if you ask me. US Airways could essentially become this 900-pound Gorilla to compete with. In fact, if US Airways succeeds, I highly doubt Richard Branson will start his Virgin USA operation. It will essentially take his business plan back to the drawing board as its main focus was to come in as one airline went out of business. Folks, this whole thing is bigger than just your job - it's every other airline job out there. Mark my words, these radical contract, pay, and benefit changes will take down this aviation industry to Wal-Mart type work rules. That will leave every remaining US Airways employee with a scarlet letter on their uniform. In this clique industry, this won't be easy to deal with.

The senior pilots don't give a rat's a** about the long term future of the airline pilot profession and especially at a dying carrier. They just want to hold on as long as possible to get "theirs" before they retire. This isn't unique to U either. And as long as you have people willing to command aircraft for $58 a flight hour ($4k a month) and no retirement, management's going to be very very happy.

USA320Pilot said:
D328Pilot:

PSA will almost assuredly be sold with the likely acquirer Mesa Air Group. Moreover, this could entail the transfer of the CRJ-200 and CRJ-700 delivery slots. Both of these issues are part of the on-going discussion and could become part of the current J4J agreement.

The intent is to provide scope relief to permit PSA to be spun off, the capital used to pay down the loan guarantee and then obtain ATSB EBITDAR relief. Discussions with the ATSB are currently being conducted and there should be public news on this issue(s) in the not-so-distant future.

Separately, this deal would reduce the risk of a credit rating downgrade, reduce US Airway's long-term debt, maintain a RJ revenue stream, strengthen US Airways, and buy the Arlington-based airline more time to drive down its unit costs.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
USA320pilot, Where will mesa get the cash to buy PSA? A stock swap won't pay off the ATSB loan. Mesa had trouble getting financing to lease more RJs for the United and America West side of their ops.

PSA is the only thing making a profit around here and you are telling me the company wants to sell it off? If Group starts selling off anything related to the future survival of this airline such as, PSA, Shuttle, or a hub like PHL then we should all consider it game over. Maybe once mainline can show a profit, PSA might be IPO'd, but that is at least a year away from happening.

Honestly A320, you shouldn't believe everything you are told by management.

EyeInTheSky said:
If US Airways succeeds in these massive paycuts and work rule changes, rest assured, it will take down the rest of the airline industry pay with it. You see folks, the big picture is crystal clear: If US Airways becomes this vision of a low-cost carrier it will become the standard by which all other airline contracts will aspire to. Other legacy carriers will have no other option but to do similar cuts. Pretty damn sad if you ask me. US Airways could essentially become this 900-pound Gorilla to compete with. In fact, if US Airways succeeds, I highly doubt Richard Branson will start his Virgin USA operation. It will essentially take his business plan back to the drawing board as its main focus was to come in as one airline went out of business. Folks, this whole thing is bigger than just your job - it's every other airline job out there. Mark my words, these radical contract, pay, and benefit changes will take down this aviation industry to Wal-Mart type work rules. That will leave every remaining US Airways employee with a scarlet letter on their uniform. In this clique industry, this won't be easy to deal with.
so then should we at U dive on a grenade for the rest of the industry?

DorkDriver:

DorkDriver asked: Where will mesa get the cash to buy PSA?

USA320Pilot asks: Last month Mesa sold $100 mln 20-year convertible bonds, which could be used to buy PSA and Allegheny/Piedmont. In addition, the company may sell another $25 million in bonds. (See Story)

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

PineyBob said:
Interestingly enough eye makes a good point. So does Dell, scarlet letter or not, Eye please tell us how the workers at U should pay their bills? Perhaps their union brothers in the rest of the airline industry will recognize their sacrifice and just all chip in and help pay them for a year or so?

Or more like lt dance on the grave of US Airways.
I believe the only way to really stop this insanity would be if every union, airline industry or not, would shut this country completely down and make corporate America take notice, anything less is vanity. My opinion.

Clue:

Clue asked; How are the lines out of LGA these days, anyway? A lot of shuttle flying?

USA320Pilot answers: They're great because they allow you to be home at night with your family, which permits me to be with my wife and kids and to more fully participate in their lives. Thanks for asking.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Clue:

Clue asked; How are the lines out of LGA these days, anyway? A lot of shuttle flying?

USA320Pilot answers: They're great because they allow you to be home at night with your family, which permits me to be with my wife and kids and to more fully participate in their lives. Thanks for asking.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
lots of time well spent later this year...take it to the bank.