More International Destinations Gone in 2010

Quickcall

Feb 20, 2008
So much for adding any new international destinations next year......the "word" in Europe is that we are loosing BHX, GLA and SNN next year. In addition to LGW that's a loss of four. Let's see...190's to Republic, less international flying, what could be next???

So much for adding any new international destinations next year......the "word" in Europe is that we are loosing BHX, GLA and SNN next year. In addition to LGW that's a loss of four. Let's see...190's to Republic, less international flying, what could be next???

I don't know if you could call LGW a "loss" since we fly to LHR. Hope we continue to fly to SNN though.

It's a shame to lose BHX. It's a "best kept secret" great city to visit. Same with SNN...great airport with wonderful access to the gorgeous west Ireland countryside. (Never been to GLA, so I can't comment.) We're not losing London, only Gatwick by substituting Heathrow.

They need to find someplace to send all the ETOPS 757s, or at least stop spending the money to modify them. If they stop BHX, GLA, and SNN, there aren't a lot of other viable substitutes in Europe where they could send that airplane. Maybe they will expand Latin America, but those routes don't really require an ETOPS airplane.

They could drop them stations and still add new pairings. Such as Charlotte/Phoenix - MAD/BCN/etc. I would personally think PHX/CLT - MAD/BCN/etc. would do better than PHL - BHX/SNN/GLA. But, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the demand of English cities to the USA.

And JK has a hub in both MAD and BCN. So I assume LCC and JK could codeshare if Airways ever decided to start PHX-MAD for example. Whether there is enough demand or airways has the equipment is beyond me.

One bad thing about Airways having a stronghold on DCA is that they can't go international out of DCA.

They could drop them stations and still add new pairings. Such as Charlotte/Phoenix - MAD/BCN/etc. I would personally think PHX/CLT - MAD/BCN/etc. would do better than PHL - BHX/SNN/GLA. But, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the demand of English cities to the USA.

Or they can just ferry pax from PHL-EWR, so they can connect to CO's nonstop flight. These can be booked as US flight #s, so US could at least skim some gravy off the top.

If these flights are not profitable for US, they should be looking at ways to leverage their new *A sibling.

And JK has a hub in both MAD and BCN. So I assume LCC and JK could codeshare if Airways ever decided to start PHX-MAD for example. Whether there is enough demand or airways has the equipment is beyond me.

One bad thing about Airways having a stronghold on DCA is that they can't go international out of DCA.

As far as PHX goes, we only have the one BA flight to LHR a day and Phoenix is a fairly large city, so there is room for more European service. I don't know if any of our planes could make it though. Also, at close to 10 hours, I think non-stop is overrated (maybe I'm in the minority). I would want to get off the plane and walk around a bit.

Nice thought, but it can't happen with the 757s that would be freed up if BHX, GLA and SNN. are dropped. Those airplanes just don't have the range to do Europe to CLT. Don't expect to ever see a CLT transoceanic to anywhere in Europe with our 757s, unless you figure out a way to fit 90,000 pounds of fuel into a 77,000 pound tank.

Nice thought, but it can't happen with the 757s that would be freed up if BHX, GLA and SNN. are dropped. Those airplanes just don't have the range to do Europe to CLT. Don't expect to ever see a CLT transoceanic to anywhere in Europe with our 757s, unless you figure out a way to fit 90,000 pounds of fuel into a 77,000 pound tank.

Delta was planning on doing their RDU-CDG flight on a 757...Why couldn't US do a CLT-MAD flight on a 757? Do DL's 757s have more range than US 757s?

Delta was planning on doing their RDU-CDG flight on a 757...Why couldn't US do a CLT-MAD flight on a 757? Do DL's 757s have more range than US 757s?

Talk's cheap. Let's see if they really do it. I doubt it. Word was out that Air France was pulling out of PHL and that Delta was going to replace the flight for Sky Team with a 757. I doubt they can do that, either.

Well I know we are loosing some but they are not profitable even when full. Chalk it up to marketing or pricing but they are buh bye. I mean God forbid we actually market like CO does in Europe. I was one told we don't b/c our flights fill themselves for the most part. :blink:
For those we loose they are suppose to announce new cities. We shall see.

Do DL's 757s have more range than US 757s?

According to Boeing, it depends on the engine. The longest range versions have the P&W engines. US had the RB-211-535 engines but I don't know what engines DL has on theirs.

Jim

clt-dub is very doable next year on 757s and i here dub is on the short list from clt the very short list as in next year