More International Destinations Gone in 2010

Delta's doing PHL-CDG with 757s? Better let their webmaster know.
Yes, I was thru there a few times last week and saw it at the gate A-10 to be exact. ETOPS 757 with the winglets and a TW registration #. FWIW, I didn't see the AF 330 come and go either.

I did hear that a move back over to D is imminent. The last I heard was that US is paying for a new club renovation for DL to move into, as well as the costs associated with relocating them back over to the other side. This also may co-inside with the opening of the new addition to E that will allow WN to consolidate to E as well.

There are now 5 gates open in D. 10, 12, 14-16. Gate D10 is now cordoned off, but appears that no work is being done to the gate area. The only problem I can foresee is that there are not enough 757 or wide body capable gates. I do know that UA can get a 757 into D13.

???

PHL-CDG appears as a B757 when trying to book a ticket or when searching under their flight schedules. It currently operates 5x wkly (no eastbound flights on Mon or Wed).

You win. I happened to check their schedule for a Wednesday; that's why it showed all connections thru JFK.

Should be interesting to see how they fare this winter westbound with the headwinds.

I think Boeing claims a "standard" OEW of 120,000# - don't have any idea what the OEW is for the various DL 757's but that's a starting point. All their 757's have 180-some seats, so call it 36,000# of passengers/bags and throw in 4,000# of freight to make it a nice round 40,000# of payload. We're up to 160K ZFW. Boeing's charts show a 4,100 mile range for the P&W engined 757's (still air) at that ZFW. Compared to the RB powered 757, that 550 mi further than the 535C's and a little over 250 mi further than the 535E4B's. Not enough to eliminate the possibility of fuel stops westbound in the winter but enough to make them less frequent than US' 757's would require on that same route.

Jim

PS - before anyone corrects my addition, I caught it right after hitting "Submit" and have corrected both the ZFW and the ranges for the various engine's.

Any source on this??

The Boeing website mentions only the -200 and -300 models of the 757. There really is no factory designated "-200ER." Evidently that's something that was applied by mod contractors who put on the winglets to get the extra few hundred miles of fuel efficiency....and then call it "ER."

As best I can tell from the Boeing website, both the -200 and -300 hold approximately the same amount of fuel: +/- 77,000 pounds. So, even if the passenger/cargo load is light, they still can't take any more fuel than the tanks will hold, and that is a marginal fuel load at best (westbound.) I can't imagine that even Delta's "ER" 757s will be able to dependably go non-stop westbound in the winter given headwinds and PHL arrival weather. Who knows....maybe they will slip a 767 on the route when they think it may be needed? They certainly have enough of those hanging around the property.

DL has an aramada of widebodies, several of which operate on domestic routes. I've been on ATL-SEA and ATL-SLC lately, both of which were 767s. Those domestic widebodies could be redeployed internationally if market conditions warrant.

Also the 757-300 is L.O.N.G. NW has many of them that operate out of MSP, with 200+ passengers. The range is not as good as the 757-200s, though, likely for the fuel reasons cited.

Doesn't Delta fly the 757 from CDG to both PIT and CVG? PIT is a couple hundred miles past philly.

Looking back through the posts, the source appears to be "I heard...". The website still shows service to all 3 next summer, but that's far enough away that it could change.

Jim

Doesn't Delta fly the 757 from CDG to both PIT and CVG? PIT is a couple hundred miles past philly.
Yes, they've been flying it for a few months now and apparently with good loads from what I've read on the DL flyertalk forum. The great circle distance is 3398nm versus the 3240nm distance from PHL-CDG - not even 200nm further.

The gate to gate time is 8:05 over, 9:15 back. Ouch!

There are now 5 gates open in D. 10, 12, 14-16. Gate D10 is now cordoned off, but appears that no work is being done to the gate area. The only problem I can foresee is that there are not enough 757 or wide body capable gates. I do know that UA can get a 757 into D13.

Used CO in/out of PHL this past weekend and took a look at this area. Looks like they recently painted the new tarmac lines. D10 is walled off. If you look at the lines, they only have CR2, CR7, and CR9 capable of using this gate. Makes sense since the combined DL/NW will have a good number of them. However, in looking at the D12, 14-16 all were marked for aircraft up to 752 and 753