More International Destinations Gone in 2010

FWIW, I had a FAM onboard my flight this weekend and he told me that the company informed them that once CLT runway #3 is completed that some international flying out of Philly will be transferred to CLT. He also said Jerry Orr has designs on a 4th runway being added in CLT, and that if/when the happens international flying out of CLT will really blow up. We'll see.

The runway situation has nothing at all to do with whether or not flying moves to CLT.

FWIW, I had a FAM onboard my flight this weekend and he told me that the company informed them that once CLT runway #3 is completed that some international flying out of Philly will be transferred to CLT. He also said Jerry Orr has designs on a 4th runway being added in CLT, and that if/when the happens international flying out of CLT will really blow up. We'll see.

Did one of the runways close? It's been a while since I've flown in there. Is 23 not open anymore. Seriously.

No new international routes for 2010. I've heard of no reductions either.

I think there are plans for additional South American routes beyond gig and gru. Not sure if that will be 2010 or later but nothing has been announced yet. However, it would seem if we are removing transatlantic capacity, we would have some available aircraft for South America.

And why would a FAM be given that information? "The company" told him? Who is "the company"?

The third CLT parallel has been on the drawing boards for at least 20 years. At that rate, I guess we can anticipate this "blow up" of CLT international flying (as a result of a fourth parallel...incredible stretch in and of itself) in 2029? Can I book my reservations now and avoid the rush?

And why would a FAM be given that information? "The company" told him? Who is "the company"?

The third CLT parallel has been on the drawing boards for at least 20 years. At that rate, I guess we can anticipate this "blow up" of CLT international flying (as a result of a fourth parallel...incredible stretch in and of itself) in 2029? Can I book my reservations now and avoid the rush?

As to why a "FAM would be given that information?" I suspect you're asking a rhetorical question that neither I--nor obviously you since you posed the question--can answer. If I were to venture a guess, given that the airlines work closely with the FAA and Homeland Security perhaps they may get a heads up on some developments that we frontliners don't have access to. But there does appear to be some appreciable development at CLT in regarding runway development and new terminal planning so it doesn't seem to be so far-fetched. And I suspect that those development plans will come to fruition long before 2029. Good for CLT

If US actually moves (not adds to) more than 1 or 2 international flights to CLT from PHL, you can bet something is shortly going to happen regarding close relationships with AA or UA. Adding 50 new runways to CLT will do nothing to increase the amount of premium international O&D which can be generated from that cachment. Just to refresh, nearly 75% of all CLT traffic is connections, with less than 26% O&D. At PHL, less than 34% of all traffic is connecting with nearly 66% O&D. Further, flights to Europe from CLT accrue up to a 10% range penalty versus PHL. Why would US risk moving any but a few historically very high connecting (and relatively low yielding) international flights to CLT for anything other than as part of a larger partnership strategy? Really, CLT is no different than PIT was - low O&D and high overall number of flights. The only difference is better geographic positioning for the Caribbean and South America - and PIT has a superior airport. I guess we'll get some insight shortly (this week ?) when the 2010 seasonal schedules are announced.

Actually in CLT, there may be plans for an additional runway. The airport has been clearing the land on the left side of 18L & 36R. They have leveled the land as well. This may be nothing important, and I personally do not believe the need a 4th parallel yet.

Actually in CLT, there may be plans for an additional runway. The airport has been clearing the land on the left side of 18L & 36R. They have leveled the land as well. This may be nothing important, and I personally do not believe the need a 4th parallel yet.

There may be plans for an additional runway? Amore, there is a new additional runway...

Why would US risk moving any but a few historically very high connecting (and relatively low yielding) international flights to CLT for anything other than as part of a larger partnership strategy? Really, CLT is no different than PIT was - low O&D and high overall number of flights. The only difference is better geographic positioning for the Caribbean and South America - and PIT has a superior airport. I guess we'll get some insight shortly (this week ?) when the 2010 seasonal schedules are announced.

What was explained to me by this FAM was the chronic and incessant delays and irregular ops that plague PHL on a daily basis that is the catalyst for the proposed changes. I don't know. Crazier things have happened. Personally, I'd like to see parallel transatlantic and south american growth from both PHL and CLT. If CO, DL and AA can make it work in EWR and JFK respectively, then why can't we make it work out of PHL?

Well I don't have any inside information as management I hear laughs at the very sound of my name. At least thats the word on here by someone. :lol: Anyhow, I think it's a sure bet we'll see some int'l destinations not come back for the 2010 season. The reason being the int'l drop in traffic and it's slow movement in the booking going up is enough for me to think so. Hey, ya always hear that full doesn't mean profitable. Checking fares for int'l routes earlier this year some were ridiculously low. I don't wanna see any flights dropped but I just can't see them all coming back or at least not daily. As for CLT taking over the int'l flying from PHL....I doubt it.