My day in Tempe

I have to agree with LCC. I had to do a trip to PHX to meet my west counter parts and I couldn't have been more impressed. Walking into HQ I was greated by a security guard that smiled, said Hi and eagerly welcomed me to the West HQ. He couldn't have been nicer. When I got to the floor I was supposed to be on, I was amazed that you didn't need a secret code or top secret clearence to get in. You were able to walk around freely and were greeted with a smile and a hello by people you passed in the hallways.

Once on the floor, something that amazed me was that on the long sides of the building, there were no offices. So everyone that had a cube could stand up and look out the windows at the great view. The only offices on the floor were on the short ends of the building. In CCY and RIDC Park (from what I rememeber), every window in the building had an office attached to it. So, if you weren't sleeping with a VP or a Director, you didn't have a view of the outside world. :shock: Small things like that speak volumes.

I have only been to CCY once but I can tell you that my impression was less then favorable. Every floor that you went to, every office was locked behind glass doors that you had to beg someone to open and let you in. Once inside, there were no windows to look out of, people rarely smiled or said Hi (and this was pre-bankruptcy) and you just felt like an intruder while you were there.

This definitly speaks volumes about the difference in corporate culture.

I visited the old Crystal Palace once and it was a very dry, officious formal place. Everyone was uptight, I didn't care much for it. I had the pleasure of visiting Southwest, Delta, Northwest and Alaska as well, Southwest was the best.

As for Mill Ave (street that HQ is on), best pizza in town is there, its called Slices, Boston style thin crust. McDuffeys is the big sports bar, named in the top 10 best sports bars in america (just W of Mill, by the RR tracks). Rula Bula is a Guiness owned pub, with great Irish food. Long Wongs has reopened in a new location, haven't been yet, not sure if they got a music license. Library, Hooters, Big Bang and the Owl's Nest are all in the same building, I'd go if I were younger. Bison Witches, (E. of Mill) is pretty good for cheap beer and sandwiches. Best Mexican food is Resturant Mexico, its central Mexico style, its on University about 2 blocks E. of Mill. Gordon Biersch is a good place for food and beer, its above Starbucks. In Season Deli which is inside a courtyard just N. of Starbucks is a treat for vegitarians, they have fantastic pasta salads, tamales and the like.

Casey Moores is the best bar, but its just off of mill, on 9th and Ash in a residential neighborhood. Ash is the street behind HQ that runs parallel to the railroad tracks, take it south 2 blocks past University. Casey Moores has a great seafood resturant, and a great indoor/outdoor bar. Its located in a historic old house that is haunted (ask Gavin, the bartender/owner, he will give you lots of stories!)

Lots of good stuff within walking distance of the HQ!

That resturant never did anything for me, not traditional enough! But, they lasted 2 years, which can be an eternity on Mill for non corporate-chain places.

I did forget House of Tricks which is a few blocks E. on 7th street. Its an old cottage turned into a resturant. Its the place to take a date, very nice place, very quiet, and really good food.

Don't forget the food and eye candy at the Library - or the food at Tavern on Mill. And not far away is Honey Bears.

Don't forget the food and eye candy at the Library - or the food at Tavern on Mill. And not far away is Honey Bears.
Don't forget Tempe Town Lake and the stuff to do there.......wonderful to sit out there on a gorgeous, below 110 degree, day.

And if you don't get enough flying at work, the valley is ringed by numerous GA airports where sport flying abounds...several with aerobatics box 10 minutes away! Don't remember the last time I missed a day of planned VFR flying.

I have to agree with LCC. I had to do a trip to PHX to meet my west counter parts and I couldn't have been more impressed. Walking into HQ I was greated by a security guard that smiled, said Hi and eagerly welcomed me to the West HQ. He couldn't have been nicer.

One thing I have noticed is your US badge is good anywhere in the West but going back East they make us get visitor badges. What gives with that?