Negative Air

Chip,

Being "proactive" is just what most on the boards are doing...voicing their discontentment and demanding change in mangement attitude towards employees. Should we leave? HELL NO! Management should leave, they have been here for one year, while many of us have been here for years and years, and have contributed to the makings of this airline's franchise.

So, my friend, proactive it is. Perhaps not in your sense of the word, but still very proactive, indeed. You ask what would you do as CEO of US, we already went through that in another post. However, I will answer. I would first, STOP BEING DISINGENUOUS AND GIVE BACK TO THE EMPLOYEES THEIR 5%! Now that should be simple enough.

No it wouldn't be better to move on. The colonists started a revolution, and look where we are today because of that discontenement over damn "tea tax". They didn't decide to eat "crow" or run away and take a ship to another country now did they?

All I can say is I hope ALPA gets their "defined pension" resurrected for your sake. You know, this NEW management has a very good history of honesty and trust in the past. You know, labor friendly and all. Hell, what's a few hundred million dollars among friends anyway. I am sure they are very concerned in giving you all a defined pension again, as they have proven time and time and time again, that they only care about pilot's happiness, right? I am sure they are real anxious to convince the legislators. Hopfully it will work out for you, as I would hate to see you have to eat "crow" all over again with regard to this here, real, fine, management we got.
11.gif

Lavman:

Lavman said: "Sorry Chip, you are wrong once again, the airbii narrowbody start coming due this Ocotber, not 2004, and it is IAM covered work as I EXPLAINED to you NUMEROUS times, can you not comprehend that?"

Chip answers: Lavman, can you show me where I said the A320 family aircraft are due for heavy maintenance in 2004? I believe you may be wrong, my friend. Regardless, in regard to the heavy maintenance issue I have never made my opinion known on whether or not this work is required to be done by the IAM. I have only referred to US Airways position on this issue, which is indicated below:

US Airways may send jet work outside union

Heavy maintenance for Airbus could go to 3rd party

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - US Airways says it is evaluating whether to contract out to a third-party shop for heavy maintenance on its new fleet of Airbus jets, a move that could save money but would anger its mechanics'' union and limit its potential to increase its Charlotte work force.
Complete Story: [url="http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/5965159.htm"]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/5965159.htm[/URL]

Best regards,
Chip

----------------
On 6/21/2003 12:47:24 AM Chip Munn wrote:

Lavman:

Lavman said: "Sorry Chip, you are wrong once again, the airbii narrowbody start coming due this Ocotber, not 2004, and it is IAM covered work as I EXPLAINED to you NUMEROUS times, can you not comprehend that?"

Chip answers: Lavman, can you show me where I said the A320 family aircraft are due for heavy maintenance in 2004? I believe you may be wrong, my friend. Regardless, in regard to the heavy maintenance issue I have never made my opinion known on whether or not this work is required to be done by the IAM. I have only referred to US Airways position on this issue, which is indicated below:

US Airways may send jet work outside union

Heavy maintenance for Airbus could go to 3rd party

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - US Airways says it is evaluating whether to contract out to a third-party shop for heavy maintenance on its new fleet of Airbus jets, a move that could save money but would anger its mechanics' union and limit its potential to increase its Charlotte work force.
Complete Story: [url="http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/5965159.htm"]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/5965159.htm[/URL]

Best regards,
Chip

----------------​
Yeah, and?

I mean, it's not like anyone following this issue isn't aware of the company's position. The fact the Observer ran a piece on it isn't the greatest of revelations now, is it?

----------------
On 6/21/2003 4:03:27 AM flyin2low wrote:

What part of US Airways can turn a profit and not involve a single passenger?

How about USAir Cargo?  Not the answer that you wanted to hear, huh?

----------------​
How about a little known department called MCU (Material Control Unit)

This group has been known to make money on a regular basis , when everything else was squarely in the tank.

Having Inventory has it''s distinct advantages

(1) You can support our own on-going needs (which are vast)

(2) You can profit from being able to help other carriers in a pinch ( at Premium rates)

(3) The profits can off-set inventory taxes..yet keep you ready for our own internal needs. (if handled properly?)

U is not in the posiion it once was in the logistics regard...But we still show a better margin than many of the other carriers in this respect.

Making money without a single seat or passenger involved is indeed a good thing..I hope it''s a trend that we can continue with.

Even "Air Cargo" has a price by the way..Weight and Space comes at a price...Loans and Sales are pure profit because it''s done well above the initial purchase price of a given item..and it''s the other guys problem to pay the freight..many times we profit from that too.

Alls fair in love and war...and Airplane parts too!!

AOG is partially right, Maintenance is the only part of this company that can turn a profit without a single passenger.

Delta Technical Ops makes tons of money for DL without a single passenger.

And Chip, I don't care what the company's position is on the airbus heavy, we have 54 years of past practice and contract language that supports the overahual of aircraft is IAM covered work.

Sorry it was A319F/A who said "the outsourcing of airbus heavy maintenance is more than likely the 2004 cost savings the company is looking for.

And as for the Charlotte Observer it published your op-ed piece which was full of untruths!

The gist I got from Dave's weekly message was either it's the 5% deferral or he takes away 10 or 15 more aircraft.

Harley,

Obviously you choose to only see the negative and refuse to acknowledge anything positive, just like many others on here. I am not discounting the fact that there are many negative things that have/will/are going to happen, but you need to also acknowledge that positive steps that have been taken. Thank you USFlyer for pointing some of those out.

wings,

Yes, employee morale is in the toilet and this constant wallowing in negativity isn't going to help anything. Yes, "management" has a lot of work to do in this department and the employee reward and recognition program is hopefully the first step in trying to boost employee morale. Don't expect overnight, quick fixes. What amazes me is that not a single person on here even acknowledged this new program. Again, this is because most on here refuse to look at anything in a positive light. Guaranteed, anyone who responds to this post will automatically rip the new program to shreds because nothing that management does will ever be good enough.

You, as an employee, control your destiny and you have the power to change things. If you can't change the company and the corporate attitude, then you have the power to change careers or companies. No one is forcing you, or anyone else to work here.

Pity...

I know we have had this discussion before.....but voicing your discontent and demanding change are not being "proactive". Being proactive is when you are a part of the solution. What are your ideas for improving revenue? Cutting costs? Boosting employee morale (besides the dead horse 5% war deferal)? Oh yeah......I forgot......that isn't your job, that is managements.
11.gif

Oh yeah, how are the sick policy/penalty discussion going?

----------------
On 6/21/2003 7:53:07 AM LavMan wrote:

AOG is partially right, Maintenance is the only part of this company that can turn a profit without a single passenger.

AOG-N-IT Replies...Partially Right you say? Try completely right!!..and that''s without delving into the "Maintenance" side of the equation. My comments were purely a reflection of "Logistics and Support"

Delta Technical Ops makes tons of money for DL without a single passenge

AOG-N-IT Replies..Yes DL Tech Ops is a fine example...but UA Tech Services and Lufthansa Technik are world leaders in this area.

UA Tech goes as far as to provide direct support on P&W Engines for the C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft for the USAF...and they are very involved in supporting the USAF variant of the B757''s..What can be more certain than a contract from Uncle Sam?

U had a nice "Nich''e" going during the 90''s with doing contract maintenance for companies like HP , BA , Challenge Air Cargo..and even the Charlotte Hornets B737-200 ...but I guess prosperity was too much of a good thing to continue the course with? I guess it''s just easier to idle talent.

And Chip, I don''t care what the company''s position is on the airbus heavy, we have 54 years of past practice and contract language that supports the overahual of aircraft is IAM covered work.

AOG-N-IT Replies...The IAM has said that U is in for the fight of thier lives , If "Outsourcing" our work is attempted or tried?

I''ll wait to see if that May 30th letter from Scotty Ford amounts to anything? Past actions..or lack there of , haven''t shown me much.

And as for the Charlotte Observer it published your op-ed piece which was full of untruths!

The Charlotte Observer was just the "Mouthpiece"...you know it came from sources inside...So Don''t Shoot the Messenger on this one. The Papers n the PIT area would have done exactly the same. Trust me!!

----------------​

Mark: Are you lecturing me again, well stop! I used to really like coming to do my job, but now I have all of management hands in my pockets. I have 20 years with this company, how many do you have or are you like the rest of management, just short timers stuffing your pockets only to move on to your next company to take from them. Every time I read one of your post, sounds like you can walk on water. For starters, you want to boast morale GIVE back our 5%.Another one of your favorites is, if you don''t like it here, QUIT! Well Marky my boy, I am staying. I like my career, I just don''t like the way management is trying to destroy it. Your in management, how about kicking marketing in the behind. For instance how come I can not get a flight to Vegas? on Us Airways, because they are all booked. Why not add more flights? I have to go to another airline to get there, If I''am doing this how many others are not spending money at our airline?. As for something positive here you go, I have not had a sick day since 1992, what will that get me? How many have you had? And are you penalized,if you take a day? And don''t tell me I can come back and make the day up, why sould I,it''s my sick time do you come back to make your days up if you call in sick?. You have a new program you are offering?. If you want any of my ideas to help this company, show me the money! and I will be glad to help our inept management team.

----------------
On 6/21/2003 8:22:08 AM USAirBoyA330 wrote:

The gist I got from Dave's weekly message was either it's the 5% deferral or he takes away 10 or 15 more aircraft.

----------------

Harley -

I am not lecturing, just pointing out the obvious. Please acknowledge some of the positive things that have taken place, first and foremost being that you do still have a job here! I am not saying ignore all of the negative, but to acknowledge the positive. As for the if you don''t like it here quit attitude.....that is your choice.....you need to do what is right for you. If you are that unhappy and that negative, then you should explore other options. As for your comments on flights to LAS, do you really think we are making money on those flights? Again, 100% load factor does not mean the flight is profitable. We were offering a competitve fare match with HP with fares from 79-99.00! Why add more money losing seats to that market?

And once again, for the record, I am not in management and I have 17 years with the company.

I think both you and PitBull need to aquaint yourself with the new Rewards and Recognition Program. It offers rewards from letters to gift certificates from 25.00-250.00 to complete travel packages. Pick up a copy of update and read all about it.

Pity,

You say that every employee on the property deserves recognition, and I agree. How do you do that with little or no additional costs? You have yet to answer that one. They tried with the TWF tickets, but that isn''t good enough. Instead of seeing it as a token effort, lets all #### about it! Same can be said about the new rewards program.....let''s complain because you have to do something above and beyond to get reckognized instead of it being a gimme. All i am asking is that you acknowledge and support the effort, especially since you are so influential. They are steps in the right directions.

I am flattered that you think that I had anything to do with the discussions of the sick policy. I do not have that kind of influence, trsut me. LOL I sincerely hope that you will be able to resolve the issues of sick and medical in a way that benefits both the employees and the company.

Lastly, I will ask you again, What are your ideas for improving revenue? Cutting costs? Boosting employee morale (besides the dead horse 5% war deferal)?

Mark,

First, true, and real incentives cost money. Those are business realities when it comes to incentives. If employees achieve certain levels of performance, that translates to the corporation making more profits or in our case, increasing customer satisfaction which returns business time and time again. So, it cost a little money to make alot of money.

The purpose for incentive/recognition programs is to reinforce "postive" behaviors and positive work ethics. (Industrial Psych 101) All this translates to and overall better more healthy company, short run and in the long run. It's going to cost some cash. Period. When you look at our particular company and consider all the sacrifices in pay, work rules, benefits that has been given up, there has got to be a some-what-genius behind one of the coporate desks who can see so clearly that giving an incentive that is cost nuetral is basically "hog wash", and employees see right through that nonsense, especially when they continue to suffer financial hardships. Bottom line, employees of this company have been beaten up, so U will have a more difficult time of it in this employee environment. However, a positive manager could look at this as a "challenge". Me and my simple head can see this so clearly, why wouldn't one of the senior execs? I can only surmise that they are so "untouched" by the sacrificing that has been done and so far removed from the "rank and file" employees that they just don't get it.

I believe incentives should be: (gross example)

1.If someone has an outstanding attendance record they will receive at the end of the year a day off with pay to be used (out side any holiday) anytime during the following year.

2. If I were management, I would reward certain departments or all departments with "personal days" 1-2 or even 3 days, perhaps no pay associated, and give them 2 round trip tickets to be used during the year using perhaps those personal days to get away. Now , there maybe some expense to the company for that because someone has to cover the employees work, but its a nice incentive above their vacation days to receive.

3. Perhaps the company can set measurable, realistic goals for the employee to achieve in order to qualify. As the company profits, step up the incentives. Bring the employees in as we are all a "team" together, and have disucssions with your employees that if we make a profit in 4 consecutive quarters, we will sit down with labor and discuss improvements to contracts on vacations, (crew meals returned) or comp. time. Perhaps, if someone works a few extra hours on busier days, even though they get paid overtime, they will receive some additional time off in addition, unpaid.

4. Retrain your supervisors on employee friendliness and respect. Don't constantly look to penalize your people. Seek out managers and supervisors that have proven to know how to inspire employees. Start working with the labor leaders and have joint discussions on improving employee morale.RELAX SOME OF THE POLICIES. If Management gets many complaints on one particular supervisor, then remove them from that position. Some managers have undiagnosed "personality disorders" and can't help but be punitive and look to punish. It's a sickness for some. They are not good for business; anyone's business.

5. Big step towards improving morale in a major way...give back the 5%.

6. STOP FURLOUGHING!
7. HONOR CONTRACT LANGUAGE!
8. HAVE MANAGEMENT STOP THREATENING TO SUE THE UNIONS and its leaders.
9. Ensure that managment makes "timely" decisions on issues that have
a great effect and impact on employees lives.
10. Biggest element for restoring morale outside of incentives and respect....COMMUNICATION (2 WAY).
11. Management needs to STOP with the "doom and gloom" retorhic to the employees. It makes us feel all this was just for nothing. That is why "hoplessness, and apathy and anger set in. Management can not afford to have employees lose respect in their leadership. Tell them to stop this.

12. When there are labor disputes, management needs to stop slamming the door to the unions, AND SIT DOWN AND TALK LIKE REASONALBE FOLKS ON THE ISSUE FOR RESOLUTION, outside of the grievance arena that is costly to both parties.

13. Regarding revenue, service the public. It's not WHAT YOU GIVE a customer; it's HOW YOU TREAT THEM! Pamper them with "words"... You have cut too many agents and reservationists. They can't service the public, hell they can't even get all the calls. There is not one call that should be on hold for more than 1 minute. Do an empirical study with the call volume in any given day and how long it takes to retrieve the call, and how long it takes to place the reservation. Any thing short of the "goal", needs to be addressed. YOU GUYS ARE KILLING YOUR PEOPLE. Do NOT set unrealistic goals for your employees. Recognize this and respond. What the passenger wants is to go through the "flying process" with ease without anxiety. So study that process, how do we make it efficient and at the same time with ease. Both can be accomplished, you just need a good VP and manager who can figure out the problems and RESOLVE them.

14. CLEAN the planes. You guys have furloughed to many utlity people. In management over zeal and over kill to cut cost, they cut the hygene of the plane. Who wants to go to a dirty hotel room or dirty restaurant? C'mon already. Tidying up a plane is NOT like cleaning it and refreashing it. Get the utility folks back so we can show a nice, clean smelling, product.

15. Simplify, for God's sake, the fare structure. It is too convoluted and most customers complain that they pay a higher fare than the person they are sitting next to. MAKE IT CONSISTANT. MAKE THE SERVICE CONSISTANT.
Doesn't have to have the frills, JUST CONSISTANT.

16. AND MANAGEMENT NEEDS TO KEEP IN MIND, ITS ALL ABOUT CUSTOMER SATIFACTION AND REPEAT BUSINESS. We are losing revenue and business because OUR product is starting to SUCK. It takes toO long on U to make a reservation, to wait at the ticket counters to have A bag checked or get THE ticket or even wait in the Kiosk line. Then I have the security line to wait (no fault of U), but still more wait and aggrivation to the customer, especially if they are traveling with children. Then, the customer has to go on the plane and look at tired, hungry, f/as who are exhausted, and PROBABLY FLYING ILL.

Bottom line, folks will pay more for service. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT FROM SPEAKING TO MANY, MANY CUSTOMERS ESPECIALLY IN TODAY'S WORLD. Simple example: I would pay more money to eat at a fine restuarant that has great, and happy employees who are very enthusiastic, then a cheaper resturant that employees rush me through my meal and never provide a calm, relaxing, attentive service. In life, and in general, we have all learned, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. PERIOD, and in all aspects of that reality.

There's a start, my friend.
16.gif