Negative Air

PIT, thanks for #14, the planes are looking like crap we need the passengers and crew to complain!

----------------
On 6/21/2003 8:22:08 AM USAirBoyA330 wrote:

The gist I got from Dave's weekly message was either it's the 5% deferral or he takes away 10 or 15 more aircraft.

----------------​

Right...

A320 Driver
7.gif

GIVE IT BACK!!!!!

BRAVO and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! (This will really help in our staff meeting on Monday.....I knew I could get you to do my job for me if I just asked!
9.gif
9.gif

Believe it or not we agree on many of your points, with one exception, the spending money part. That is a real tough sell for me. I guess I look at it this way. If the company can afford to pay me for "earned incentive days", additional personal days or things like that, then why not give me that money back in my W2? To me it is like taking an additional paycut to fund the incentive. Make sense?

Briefly on your numbered points -

1 - I agree, there needs to be an employee attendance incentive program but I am not sure that the day off is the right way to go. Perhaps a program similar to CO with car/truck giveaways, etc.

2 - Performance incentives would be great too. My only caution there would be that people may become to performance driven that they lose cite of the important things like Customer Service. I personally know of a "large station" manager that is so driven by performance numbers that in many instances, customer service suffers. There has to be a balance between performance and service.

3 - Isn't profit sharing already an incentive? I know the details have not been worked out yet, but hopefully we will find out soon. Once we have established ourselves as a strong viable airline again, and put our financial house in order, I agree.....lets talk about labor and contract improvements, absolutely!

4 - I agree 100%. Excellent point!

5 - Discussed to death already. I hope it is coming back soon, but I am not holding my breath.

6 - Absolutely. We are down to the bare bones.

7 - Agreed but I will go one better.....where there are differences in contract language, sit down, hash it all out, openly, honestly, and work towards compromise. No more threats!

8 - Agree

9 - Agreed. It is time to show the employees the respect they deserve.

10 - Absolutely. No more stubborn attitudes on BOTH sides of the table.

11 - Excellent point. We all get it already, we have a tough road ahead and we are not out of the woods yet. When we finally came out of bankruptcy it was like it was a huge non-event. To make it that far was a tremendous amount of sacrifice on every employees part and should be recognized as such. We need more positive news and less doom and gloom.

12 - Agreed. Grievances should be an absolute last resort, but the being reasonable part works both ways.

13 - Agreed. You can't bring in the money if you can't answer the phones in a timely manner. You can't keep the customer if the time it takes for them to check-in and fly is almost as long as driving. PIT and PHL on the weekends are a diseaster in the mornings. If need be, open the purse strings and add overtime to expedite the check-in process instead of trying to rely on few agents and many Kiosks.

14 - Amen! The one thing I will give Mr. Wolf was when he got here and put the focus on A/C appearance inside and out. Image is everything! If customers see a dirty airplane it will lead to questions about where else we are squeezing the almighty dollar. We need to show our customers that safey, clean, reliable air travel is our #1, 2, and 3 priorities!

15 - Everyone gets that except BBB!
9.gif

16 - You got it!

See.......I told you we weren't that far off on things! I really do like a lot of your ideas. Now we just have to bend the right ear to see what WE can do to get some of this accomplished. When I say WE I mean all of us, not just management, not just employees, not just the unions, etc.....each and everyone of us.

Now was that so hard? LOL

Mark,

It figures that once again I am doing management's work...lol

No really, it just common sense and making things as simple as possible. Customers want simple, simple, simple, and relaxing.

Key to mangement is finding the right person to sit in the right seat who instinctively knows how to create "balance". Its an art and these types of inspiring leaders are hard to come by, and are worth their weight in gold. I've met only one such Manager at U, and he is the "creme de la creme, and no matter where he sits, he is instinctively inspiring and very "well balanced". And he is still here among us. He understands Labor and knows how to create that "equilibrium".

With regard to the stock incentive, let me say this. My particular shares as a flight attendant is approx 50. For instance, at approx $7 a share for an , opening price, let's say, (and god forbid it doens't take a dive down) that is $350. Plus, there is a "tax event" with each distribution that is paid up front, so now its even less. Translation: one months sick penalty on average for a f/a. You see, the stock is moot, when you have pay penalties in place. Then you take the deferral, and the stock means diddly squat to most (not all) of the labor groups.

You asked for ideas, well, morale boosters and performance incentives while working and performing beyond the call of duty, will cost. It allows employees to set goals for themselves while trying to achieve the incentive.

However, Communication is free. So that is a good start. IMHO, no point in giving the recognition incentive and such with no monetary or time off value to it, when you have employees near poverty. It just won't work, and will fizzle and die just as quickly as it started.

The peronal days that are unpaid by the company, really does not cost much at all for a company to provide. You need to think about it and be creative. Mangement folks give half days to the company when they have family issues or events, more often than not. I make it my business to know these things. For a "rank and file" employee, it takes permission, and often times, not permitted when you are an hourly wage earner.

How about this? Why not reserve a bank of comp. time that the company does not have to pay out immendiately. In other words, say I am an agent/mechanic and I work an 8 hour shift, in addition, I work 1 extra hour of over time. Why can't I bank my extra hour, if I want to. Once I have 8 hours in my bank then I can cash it in for a day off. Hell, I earned it. Its not sick bank time. Company doesn't have to pay out on it immediately. Say, I just don't cash it in for a while. Perhaps months or years. Say management caps the bank at 5 days. Period. Then with mutual consent, an employee can request how much they want to use for extra time off. For instance f/as, if they work up to 3 hours over their MAX option, they can bank those hours until they reach lets say 25 hours, then the bank is capped. Enough for one full 4 day trip. Then with mutual consent, use it for when you need to be off. Its your money and time you earned it. These are incentive ideas that I believe will cost the company little if nothing. This is employee earned income and they are just banking it. Say management makes a rule that none of this time can be used on holidays, any of them. So you place some reasonable restrictions on when they can be used, and how much an employee can take at one time.

These are just ideas.

I think you love me... but I insist we go very , very slow cause I just might piss you off tomorrow.....
2.gif

Ya want to reduce the abuse of sick time?Every employee that goes from 1/1 to 12/31 with out using a sick day gets an extra 40 hours pay.I think it would work.

----------------
On 6/20/2003 2:49:09 PM USFlyer wrote:

I''m getting tired of saying this: Codeshare is going well, Star Alliance admission, LH marketing agreement, further enhancement with the GoCaribbean network, emergence from bankruptcy, large RJ order, ... I''ve heard lots of good news lately (and this is coming from a passenger)!

----------------​

USflyer,
You may be correct, BUT Dave ALWAYS pounds into everyone''s head that things with labor are horrible. Yes, things may be good for the men/women at the top but NOT for the rank and file employee. The lack of flights means over a $1,000 a month pay cut for me......tell me the good news there..

Chip,
I usually agree with things you say on here, but you are being sooooo very very selfish. You don''t understand what it is to go from $32,000 a year to barely $20,000. As of this past June 15th paycheck I grossed NOT NET grossed barely over $9,000. When you can live on that then you will be on the same page with all of us. Take you down to that wage and see how fast you "#### and complain". We really don''t want to hear it from you. Who''s side are you on anyway? You know what happened to Benedict Arnold?

Mark I don''t want to sound negative all the time. Austin says all the time that he has hired the "Brighest Minds" in the airline industry, and gives them bonuses all the time. Why should I with 20 years experience give this managemnt team any of my insight on this company?. Only to have them make my pay even smaller. If this company really wants to succeed, then management MUST cut their saleries accordingly. What a burden they have put on each of us, to perform not only for our own pay, but to also keep each of them in their comfort zone at the outrageous pay scale they have. How do we do this with morale as low as it is?. And how do you continue to do this when all you read and see on TV is Austin coming across as a bully trying to get everyones milk money!. Do you understand what I''m saying? If as you say you are NOT with management, then you should be as infurated as the rest of us, who have GIVEN and GIVEN. How can you believe anything Austin says, he tells you one thing and the very NEXT day does exactly what he said wasn''t going to do. He is nothing more than a, liar....He reminds me of the new kid on the block with the only ball he''ll let you play with it, but by his rules and he must always win. Well, I just want him to take his ball and go home, if that is what Harvard is teaching on how to screw your fellow man, I''m never letting my kids go to college. I have a differant set a values, much, much higher than that. Plus, I have no blood on my hands,how does management and Austin sleep at night knowing that they have caused someones, loveone to check out.......All I feel is anger.

Pity...

See, I told you that we weren''t that far apart on things.....we just each have different approaches. That being said, hopefully the same can be said for our pals in CCY. Perhaps they could read some of this and see that maybe there is a different way to do things that could have the same end result or better yet, make things better. Maybe we can enlist the help of the moderator to forward a copy of this thread to Dave, Dave and Jerry and have them dial you up and work on getting this house in order again.

I understand that the stock incentive isn''t the greatest, but hopefully, some day, the stock will have a value much greater then the 7.00 a share. Granted that doesn''t help in the immediate future. What I was talking about was the profit sharing. When the company becomes financially sound again, hopefully we will all share in the profits.

I agree that communication is a good start and when Dave first got here I think he started off on the right foot, but somewhere along the way he and his team, had their employee focus distracted by the BK filing. I sincerely hope that they will once again take on this challenge with open, honest, up front communication.

I have always been a advocate of comp time myself. To make it equally fair for the employee and the company, I would take the idea just a little further. Let''s say that I am an agent in PIT and we have a string of bad weather days and I work a total of 8 hours of shift extension in a week. Give me the choice of taking the money or banking the time in a comp bank. If the 8 hours were all supposed to be at time and a half, then 12 hours would go in my comp bank. Now, let''s say that 2 weeks from now I need a day off. I request a comp day and they have to cover that day with overtime. The person working my shift is on an off day, so the time is paid out at 8 hours of time and a half. Then the cost to me should be my 12 hours of comp time. Then it is a wash for the company, there is no additonal cost. They were either going to pay my 8 hours of time and a half for my shift extensions, or they were going to pay it to the guy that is covering my shift. If my shift could only be covered with 8 hours of double time, then it costs me 16 hours of comp. The hard part would be that you would have to set time parameters too. If I put in for a comp day, you can''t wait to award me the day 1 day prior. Max you could try to cover a shift is 2 weeks out and the time will only be awarded if the shift can be covered. I think that is fair.

As for Flight Attendants.....my question to you would be how would the union feel about Flight Attendants flying over their option? It was my understanding that the union frowned upon F/A''s overflying because it took time away from junior/reserve F/A''s. If that has changed, or is something they would be willing to change, then I am with you 100%.

I think that you and I should fly to CCY and take a meeting with Dave.....see if we cna make some of these ideas stick. Care to be my co-chair on the new employee relations/incentives committee?

Harley said: Why should I with 20 years experience give this managemnt team any of my insight on this company?.

Mark says: Again, you can be a part of the problem, or you can be part of the solution. Who knows our jobs better, you and I, or a VP behind a desk in CCY? Maintenance is the best example of where line employee input saves us millions of dollars yearly.

Harley said: How do we do this with morale as low as it is?. And how do you continue to do this when all you read and see on TV is Austin coming across as a bully trying to get everyones milk money!. Do you understand what I''m saying?

Mark says: I do understand what you are saying, but just put yourself in Dave''s chair for once. You have a company that is losing millions of dollars a day, you just emerged from bankruptcy, you have squeezed the employees for everything they have. Wouldn''t you try to squeeze everyone for everything they are worth to lower the cost of doing business and returning to profitablilty?

Harley said: If as you say you are NOT with management, then you should be as infurated as the rest of us, who have GIVEN and GIVEN.

Mark says: These concessions have effected me just as they have everyone else. I have never said I am not angery by what has happened. I made a choice, instead of getting angry and bogged down in negativity, I have chosen to take things as they come and when it is no longer financially worth my time to work here, I will take my ball and go home. My resume is all brushed up and ready, circulating and putting out feelers. If I get to a point where I no longer enjoy my job, I can''t meet my financial needs, etc, then I will quit. Until then, this is still a good job, I have adjusted my lifestyle to meet my income levels and I am getting by. It is tough and I have had to sacrifice a lot, but there were no better options out there for me.

Harley said: How can you believe anything Austin says, he tells you one thing and the very NEXT day does exactly what he said wasn''t going to do.

Mark says: Bottom line for me is that I know that Dave is doing everything and anything he can to get this company back to making a profit and keeping 30,000 employees on the payroll. When the concessions in round 1 were agreed to, it wasn''t Dave that decided to come back for round 2 to see just how much more he could squeeze out of you and I. It was the conditions of the ATSB loan. With R-1 concessions we didn''t meet the financial requirements to secure the money that would allow us to come out of bankruptcy. He didn''t just do it for kicks and giggles. If we were making a profit then yes, my attitude would be completely different. Knowing that we are still losing money and we are trying to get back to making money, then I will continue to support Dave. Knowing that Dave is putting the squeeze on everyone: employees, debt holders, lease holders, state governments, etc at least gives me piece of mind in knowing that we are not the only ones making sacrifices.

Again, that is me....that is how I view things.

----------------
On 6/21/2003 7:22:35 PM 757fixer wrote:

Ya want to reduce the abuse of sick time?Every employee that goes from 1/1 to 12/31 with out using a sick day gets an extra 40 hours pay.I think it would work.

----------------​

How about making them feel valued and part of the team. How about not nickle and diming them at every opportunity. How about giving them back their 5% which management has NO MORAL RIGHT to withhold. How about replacing the inept managers that couldn't care less what you think. How about living up to the contracts unless they are ammended. How about focusing on the competition instead of US! How about rewarding people for a job well done (and it doesn't have to be money either). How about inspiring people to be more than they are. How about fixing what's broken...not breaking the employees.

HOW ABOUT SOME LEADERSHIP for Pete's sake!

A320 Driver
14.gif

GIVE IT BACK!!!!!

----------------
On 6/20/2003 5:00:23 PM Chip Munn wrote:

For all the naysayers who #### and complain on this forum, would you explain to me how US can restructure and be competitive within its constraints?

What would you do as CEO of US?

There is no question everybody has been hurt at this company, but simply complaining does nothing, except make the poster angry because their thought process is soooo negative.

The industry wide fundamentals and the company''s restructuring are no fun and I empathize with all, however, maybe it''s best to be proactive and find solutions to our problems instead of complaining.

In regard to my resignation comment, we all have that option and I have spent a significant amount of time exploring options. I have two flying options available, both are outside of this country, as well as a government option, but in the end my wife and I elected to accept the US Airways pay and benefit cuts because we want our kids to go continue their education in their present school.

Nonetheless, we all have options and my point is if people are so miserable at US Airways, wouldn''t it be better to move on? 

Best regards,

Chip

----------------​

No sir. US Airways made us miserable. I intend to stick around a while longer with this miserable company and some of its other miserable employees.

I will make one suggestion to our miserable mgmt. The miserable little war is over. Stop taking our miserable 5% and give back what you''ve taken. Then maybe things may not be so miserable.

----------------
On 6/21/2003 11:32:11 AM MarkMyWords wrote:

Again, 100% load factor does not mean the flight is profitable. We were offering a competitve fare match with HP with fares from 79-99.00! Why add more money losing seats to that market?

good question.
but why are we still losing money after all the cuts.
the fl market seems to be the same...full 757/321. mind you this is now summer...flts last night inbound (sat night ) were all full.

so if LF is 90-100%,cuts are in place plus 5%....and still the flts lose money,
seems like only two logical choices....raise the fares or stop flying losing flts....

Latest posts