New Mech Question

flyer5308

Jul 7, 2004
Just got out of the Air Force (10 years... yeah I've had enough!) and am thinking of a career as an A&P mech. Most of my experience has been with heavy jets (KC-135, C-141’s etc) as I think some on this board have. My question is this, with all of the talk of furloughs, cutbacks and out sourcing going on I’m starting to think this may not be a wise move right now. I was planning on attending Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics (PIA) to get my ticket in the fall or as soon as Uncle Sam says it’s ok. Also I’m confused as to the union disputes posted here. How many unions are there? Also are there any non-union airlines (in the USA)? If so are they a greater risk to work for? I also want to say thanks for all the hard work you do keeping those birds safe. :up: I know I feel safer when my family flies rather than driving. I appreciate any help you can give!
Dave

Dave, The industry is in major changes right now. With the low cost carriers controlling the price of the tickets. The Industry will continue to grow as more people fly.

We all hope in a few years the industry will level out and the carriers who are willing to adjust will survive. At this point speculations are flying. Even the experts cannot predict the outcome.

Currently the Mechanic's are represented by several Unions. Just like the other professionals in the Airline Industry. As the industry continues to change outsourcing will continue to be a major concern. Each Union is different on how they perceive is the best in representation. Many of the third party vendors are non-union. The last few years the companies have taken aggressive measurer's to keep any successful organizing at bay. Mainly due to the laws and the ability to fire the organizers with undo cause.

If you really enjoy working on Airplanes I highly recommend you select an area and become highly motivated and skilled in that area. The new Aircraft are changing and will require a smaller group of professionals. Or, you can go to third party vendors and start low with little benefits. The incentives to stay loyal to one Airline is diminishing.

Some will disagree, but if you enjoy working in Aviation than go to school and pursue your interest. It is rewarding and I enjoy what I do!

Note: Most who write here, are disgrunted! This is not the norm!

Dave, my son will take your place as he will leave for his first duty station at Mildenhall England on friday. Thank you for your service to our country. This industry is going through a lot of changes. A lot of mechanics are leaving the industry, some by choice and some not. I don't think the airlines are hiring right now but you should try if that's what you want to do. That's where the better money is due to the patriots of our industry holding the line. That would be AMFA which is a craft union. IAM, TWU, and IBT are the catchall industrial unions. Delta is the only airline that has non union mechanics. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family. Rob

Several things.

1. Select a school that has a modern and up-to-date curriculum. That being heavy in digital avionics training.

The aircraft are going as much computer as possible and if your training does not include an awful lot of digital avionics, you will be handicapped as an applicant for a job.

Along similar lines in the world of aircraft structure. You need to be knowledgeable on advanced composite repair. Not talking fiberglass here.

Not having the above education will dis-advantage your career start.

2. Pay and benefits are declining in all segments (manufacturing, airlines, corporate, private) of aircraft maintenance. And it looks like the decline will continue. The decline is also true for pilots and other aviation related employees, even things like engineers.

3. Government and internal company regulations and policies now consume more of a mechanics time. Less time is now spent performing actual repair work. More time is now spent playing amateur aviation lawyer. Look for this curriculum also at your perspective A&P school.

4. You do not have to go to an A&P school to get a mechanics license. You can "apprentice" at a facility and gain the necessary experience to qualify to test for your license. You would be surprised how many A&P's have gone this way.

5. Don't have the date, but a certain amount of new A&P never tough an aircraft. They get recruited into other technical industries.

6. Retirement pension plans are under attack and will soon go away or become diluted.

7. Tool and equipment cost to be proficient and competent to repair aircraft cost a lot.

8. I have A&P with IA and have worked on aircraft all my adult life. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but would not do it again.

I would get involved with something more secure and profitable. If you really like airplanes here are the facts on where to work.

AIRLINES; No longer a great job. Job satisfaction is now low and compensation package is declining.

PRIVATE AIRCRAFT: Most satisfying work. Low pay with little or no benefits.

CORPORATE: Average pay but good working conditions. Some corporate benefits. Will probably jump employers many times as aircraft ownership comes and goes.

More questions? Put them in this forum.

flyer5308, if your serious about becoming an A+P,stay away from the airlines! The lure of the airlines used to be the Flight Benefits. Air fares are so cheap now it just isn't worth the hassle of non-revenue travel anymore. Airlines used to pay the best for an A+P, but because of certain unions(TWU,IAM mainly TWU) heavy downward pressure is being put on airline mechanic wages and benefits. The AMFA has put a stop to this errosion of wages and benefits at the airlines they represent, but it will take years,maybe decades to recover from the damage the TWU,IAM have caused!

If you really want to be an A+P, get a job at a corporate hanger or FBO that mainly works on business jets. I also recommend that you start taking flying lessons. Many of these corporate hangers will require you to be a pilot as well as a mechanic. Believe me you'll be better off going the corporate route!

All - Thanks for the respones and info! :D
A/C Fixer many thanks for the informative e-mail Will definitely Check with AA!
I have some alternative skills to fall back on plus I'm working on a business degree but my first love will always be aviation. Something about watching an aircraft you worked hard on all night takeoff and fly "code 1" (no maint problems) is very rewarding but as all of you have stated, it's an unpredictable industry right now. I will stay in touch with this board as I'm stateside now and I do have to say I've learned more about what's going on in the civil/commercial side by reading all of your posts. I know there's a lot going on with the new fabrication methods i.e composites and that would be an area I need to lean about for sure. My bird (KC-135R)for the last 3 years was made in 1958!! 12,000+ hours and still tickin'!
Speaking for most of the military serving in different parts of the world I can honestly tell you that we're humbled by all of the support from everyone back home. It means more than you know. I saw a story the other day that some troops on a flight home were given First Class tickets by some business folks on the same flight. Awesome!
With regard to the union vs. non-union isn't Jetblue non-union? I'm not sure about that one. I hope all of the unions are focused on they're members and not about stabbing anyone in the back. There's enough of that going on already huh? I see some stuff here that scares the heck out of me.. (kevlar underwear optional) :shock:

Once again thanks! You all are the best!
Keep 'em flying! :up:
Dave

Latest posts

Back