New Rampers Pay?

N628AU said:
Hate to tell you, but that is who the company wants to hire. There is an endless supply of these people to choose from. The Express concourse in CLT has done it for years, and despite what anyone says, there were people who have stayed for years working there.

I have been in Clt "a lot" of years & I have yet to see this endless supply. If they have anyone retired its only a few at best. They can not keep anyone. The few "older " ones I know are not retired.
Again just to remind you the big "job fair" We. morning only 14 people showed up. Doesn't sound like an endless supply to me.

RedOne said:
If all one is doing is loading bags for low wages that's one thing. In most of the small stations, a so called "ramper" must do a 'little' more than load bags.
[post="228723"][/post]​
Exactly! Like A/C cleaning, fleet service, operations, security checks, (and in some cases-mine anyway), payroll, scheduling....The list goes on and on..

I never said every college student would take the position, but enought did on the then D-Concourse only 6 years ago when the pay was $6 an hour to start, and the labor market was tighter then.

N628AU said:
I never said every college student would take the position, but enought did on the then D-Concourse only 6 years ago when the pay was $6 an hour to start, and the labor market was tighter then.
[post="229003"][/post]​

N628AU speaks the truth as far as the basic realm of the truth goes...but what is being over looked or not mentioned is some of the reasoning behind taking such jobs in that time frame.

During the mid to late 90's when people were working for peanuts at CCAir...many had their sights set on better paying jobs down the road at Mainline...or it was a stop gap job while attending school to go on to bigger and better things hopefully. This holds true for all but a few senior employee's, management types and ultra-senior pilots whom homesteaded to the point that moving to a U right seat would hurt them short-term moneywise and quality of life wise from a schedule perspective. Simply put , weighing the pros and cons of change.

A solid work history at CCAir (dba USAirways Express) was in many cases a spring board to the Mainline. I can't begin to count how many people I know that started their aviation adventures from the bottom of the scale at CCAir...but I'm equally pained to think how many did during this era...and are now working anywhere but in aviation today , due to no fault of the individual in 95% of the cases or better.

Sure thier are examples of people whom prospered after leaving CCAir , Mainline U or the industry as a whole...but if you surveyed many of them? They would all most likely tell you how much they would be eager to return to aviation if it offered any degree of future promise at all?

To say that their is a bonified motivation to accept $7.00 Per Hour work today is lunacy...with no real growth potential involved, scaled back benefits , union dues , and uniform fees...Nobody unless they live like a band of migrant workers can survive todays world at those rates.

Argue the point to the end if you desire? and I will challenge you to accept those wages and conditions in todays world..then come back here and post about how lovely the world is at Express wages. Then again the challenge will likely have to be responded to from a public library...as internet access would have to be omited from the budget in favor of Mac and Cheese meals in generic brand boxes.

Latest posts

Back