New Smf-ord Service

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
As always, nice to see American grow.

New Sacramento-O'Hare service begins on 10 June 2004. Double-daily S80s.

As well, one additional frequency in the following markets will be starting:

Raleigh-Hartford (4 April)
Raleigh-Columbus (4 April)
Raleigh-JFK (4 April)
Columbus-LaGuardia (4 April)
Dallas-Aguascalientes (4 April)
Toronto-Los Angeles (11 June)
New York City-San Francisco (1 May)

MiAAmi said:
2nd non-stop MCO-LAX can be added to the list too.
So let's see some recalls already! Hardly a day goes by that I don't see some mention of yet another addition to AA's schedule.

What are the rumors on the line as to recalls for spring/summer?

MK

Thanks for the added info MiAAmi. In addition, two more daily STL-LGA M80 flights will replace the three daily Eagle flights on 01May04, so the route goes all-mainline.

kirkpatrick said:
So let's see some recalls already! Hardly a day goes by that I don't see some mention of yet another addition to AA's schedule.

What are the rumors on the line as to recalls for spring/summer?

MK
You won't see any recalls probably for this year. In fact, I have been told the company is actually offering leaves again. Also, supposedly there is 1500 already out on leave do to return by July. Although, If I remember correctly there were never that many leaves even offered last July when I was layed off. There is so much "Miss Information" out there nobody can seem to get a grip on the current manning situation. I sure would like to see a recall since I have yet to find gainful employment and the umemployment is gone. Thank You JW for messing up mine and my family's life. For those wondering, Yes I am a Naative ( Like it should really matter! ) <_<

And there is yet more:

JFK-KIN resumes between 01Jul04 and 30Aug04
JFK-AUA +1 weekly for 8 weekly between 03Jul04 and 28Aug04
JFK-SEA +1 daily between 10Jun04 and 07Sep04
JFK-YUL +1 daily for 4 daily 11May04
JFK-SDQ +1 daily for 4 daily between 01Jul04 and 29Aug04
JFK-STI +4 weekly for 18 weekly between 01Jul04 and 29Aug04

Flyboy4u said:
You won't see any recalls probably for this year. In fact, I have been told the company is actually offering leaves again. Also, supposedly there is 1500 already out on leave do to return by July.
The official company line per the furloughee hotline (did you know there is such a thing?) is that there are no recalls of furloughees scheduled for 2004. Also, the number of f/a's on OVLs is approximately 1300. This is the total of the people who took a 12 month leave beginning 01JUL03 and those who took a 9 month leave beginning 01OCT03. All current OVLs are scheduled to expire 30JUN04.

That being said...
1. There have been major expansions announced in Intl; such as, LAX-NRT, LAX-LGW, and LAX-SJU. The proffer for 250 f/a's at LAX-I was recently filled, and I understand the awards went down as far as 11years. I heard that in the last prior proffer at LAX-I the most junior f/a who held the proffer had approx. 30 years. Moving 250 f/a's to Intl at one time causes a hole somewhere in Domestic, can't help but.
Related Rumor: I also heard that the company has decided that 250 wasn't enough flight attendants to support the new flying at LAX-I. Well, think about it...
12 f/a to NRT (777) + 12 f/a to LGW (777) + 5 f/a to SJU (757) = 29 f/a each day outbound assuming all 3 services are daily x 7 days = 203 f/a's per week outbound. On any given day, you have close to that number inbound or laying over at the destination airport. And you haven't even covered reserves yet.
2. All the added domestic flying that we have all seen announced here and elsewhere. Unless the currently flying f/a's are lying through their teeth about how everyone is stretched thin, who's going to fly these trips? A lot of the flying begins this summer or is summer seasonal. Maybe the 1300 returning from OVL will be sufficient to cover the added flying.
Related Rumor: I heard that approx. half of those on OVL do not intend or will be unable to return.
3. I read somewhere (maybe here at USAviation.com) that total attrition for last year--quit/died/retired/fired--was 903. Unless the company cuts back on mainline flying instead of increasing it, they can not sustain this attrition rate for long.
Related Rumor: As soon as the stock options are cashed (April) a number of flight attendants not eligible for retirement are planning to quit because of the new working conditions. Also, as soon as the 777 arbitration award is paid in October, there will be an exodus of senior flight attendants to retirement.
4. Another rumor from over at American Eagle is that in April they expect to lose most of the furloughed AA flight attendants working for them to a recall. Supposedly that is why they have a minimum hire goal of 500 new flight attendants this year. Of course, the turnover at Eagle is pretty high most years anyway.
5. Negative Rumor: Most of the stations served by F100 flying will be given to American Eagle when the last of the Fokkers are grounded in Sept. This would alleviate the need for mainline flight attendants somewhat.

Now all of this or none of this may be true. Let me very clear that this is all rumor. Some of it from more reliable sources than other parts of it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but personally I don't believe that the company can make it all the way to 2005 without additional flight attendants.

jimntx said:
5. Negative Rumor: Most of the stations served by F100 flying will be given to American Eagle when the last of the Fokkers are grounded in Sept. This would alleviate the need for mainline flight attendants somewhat.
I have already noticed this coming true. Rochester, Minnesota is going all to American Eagle at the beginning of March.

I have also heard the rumor of an April recall out on the line. So, the AE folks must know it's true if they expect to loose most of the AA f/a's to recall. We all know you can't keep adding flights without flight attendants to staff them! I would like to hear from an AA pilot to see if the have had recall rumors?

It will be nice when we see all flight attendants back on the line! Noticed I said ALL!!

Flyboy4u said:
You won't see any recalls probably for this year. In fact, I have been told the company is actually offering leaves again. Also, supposedly there is 1500 already out on leave do to return by July. Although, If I remember correctly there were never that many leaves even offered last July when I was layed off.
The company offered as many leaves as there were furloughs, so everyone who wanted one should have had it available. But even if there are no actual recalls and all those on OVL's come back, that would be a good thing for those of us on furlough, since those people have to be absorbed back into the system one way or another before recalls begin (one exception: it's possible the company may elect to recall some native furloughees rather than cancel OVL's since the average furloughee is lower on the pay scale, at least until they get to us TWA people).

We also have to keep in mind that when the company says "there are currently no plans to recall in 2004" it doesn' mean they won't; just that they don't yet have a plan they want to announce. It doesn't mean "we currently have plans NOT to recall anyone in 2004."

MK

Related Rumor: I heard that approx. half of those on OVL do not intend or will be unable to return.
Half sounds optimistic, but I certainly think the percentage that chooses not to return will be higher than the traditional 10%. After all, these are people who have shown time and time again that they don't want to fly.
3. I read somewhere (maybe here at USAviation.com) that total attrition for last year--quit/died/retired/fired--was 903. Unless the company cuts back on mainline flying instead of increasing it, they can not sustain this attrition rate for long.
My source puts attrition at 993 for 2003, and this doesn't count any TWA people or other furloughees who might have quit from furlough status. The company expects attrition to continue at the same rate for the near future.

Your other points are also well taken.
The retirement of the F100 has been planned for a couple of years now, so I'm sure that has already been taken into consideration.
Now all of this or none of this may be true. Let me very clear that this is all rumor. Some of it from more reliable sources than other parts of it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but personally I don't believe that the company can make it all the way to 2005 without additional flight attendants.
Unfortunately we have no information to work with other than rumor and speculation. However, I agree that there's simply no way the company can go into such an ambitious spring and summer flight schedule without getting some additional people on the line, and with attrition continuing at about 1000 per year, hundreds more will be gone by the coming winter.

We'll just have to wait and see.

MK

I know this is mainly for FAs but from Jan 1sst to Apr 1st ther is expected 300 FSCs recalled. God knows I didn't move up on the Sen List so they are coming back. I ve seen many new faces. They also have a new Training Crew Cheif bid open.

kirkpatrick said:
The retirement of the F100 has been planned for a couple of years now, so I'm sure that has already been taken into consideration.
MK, I wouldn't bet on it already being accounted for. I've been around since SEP00. Let me tell you the history of the F100 since I've been here.

1. Because I got DFW right out of training I had to attend F100 training on 07SEP00, the day after graduation. We were told in the class not to worry because the F100 was being grounded permanently no later than MAR01.
2. In Mar01, it was announced that because the last of the 727s were being retired, the F100 would continue until Sep01.
3. Because of 9/11, the company cancelled/delayed delivery of some new 737s. F100 to be continued until Mar02.
4. In Mar02 extended to Sep02.
5. Sep02 extended to Mar03.
6. In Mar03 they were extended again until Sep03. In fact, they moved some to DCA where they had NEVER been used before. Company had to draft f/a's for F100 training because there was practically no one in DCA that was qualified on it.
5. Sep03 extended to Mar04 which was to be the absolute drop dead date because to extend again would mean that they would all have to go through "C" checks again and the company was not willing to spend that much money on them.
6. Last I heard they were being eliminated from the fleet in September of this year.

I ain't holding my breath until I see them at the retirement ceremony.

Latest posts