No "BOB" for UAL TransAtlantic flights

US Oringinal

Advanced
Jun 24, 2008
United sent a message today to all it's Mileage Plus members saying that in response to its passengers' and Mileage Plus members' negative reactions and comments, it has decided NOT to go ahead with its planned "Buy Onboard" meal program slated to begin soon on some of its TransAtlantic flights.

Further, UAL said that in an effort to maintain their level of customer service, they would continue to offer complimentary beverages (non alcoholic) on ALL its flights and would continue to serve complimentary meals and snack on its domestic Trans-Continental flights in economy that it currently does.

I hope Tempe is paying attention. If you ask your customers what is important to them, they will tell you.

As far as I can tell, our passengers are at best "resigned"(usually they just roll their eyes) to paying $2 for a bottle of water--but some are still truly outraged at the continual "nickel and diming" of them by US Airways. :down: :down:

Now that we have SOME major reliability issued behind us, it's time for Tempe to refocus on CUSTOMER SERVICE! And part of that is to re-evaluate the "Ala Carte" beverage program.

Unless it's bringing in a huge amount of revenue--enough to offset the passenger ill-will it creates--it's time to bring back free soft drinks, water and juice. The other majors have not followed......and believe it or not, even The Kettles will book away from us if they get a "Co-Cola" of "GingAle" for free on somone else :up: :up: :up:

It's all about perception...........And the sooner Tempe realizes that people actually ARE booking away from USAirways, the better for all of us. We need to start taking steps now to win our customers back.......

(NO BASHING PLEASE-- it's just the opinion of a frontline, long-term employee)

Plus the idea of asking for $2 for a soda l on a TLV-PHL flight makes me shudder in fear!! :shock: :shock:

and the station mgr and the ramp mgr in abe also thought it is a wonderful idea to charge for drinks and they both were or are he!!bent that others would follow suit. I told them both that the pax would book away from us which is typical tempe motto! they chose not to believe me yet they now cant figure out why co dl ua and nw are all having heavy loads out of abe ---duh the charges are just part of the problem HELLO TEMPE ARE YOU LISTENING AT ALL

You know Tempe was just itching to start charging for the TA flights. True test will be if the industry ever recovers is they will get rid of A la carte? My guess is no, oil is just an excuse as they have wanted to do this for a long time.

True test will be if the industry ever recovers is they will get rid of A la carte? My guess is no, oil is just an excuse as they have wanted to do this for a long time.

Just based on reading from in between the lines from some of Tempe's statements (particularly in regards to the $2 drinks), I'd say your guess is right. It's unfortunate because that's the a la carte feature that really feel needs to be eliminated (when conditions improve).

In all fairness though, with regards to the other ones, I doubt you'll see any of the airline rescind any of their a la carte pricing strategies unless the price of oil goes to unbelievably low levels.

Just based on reading from in between the lines from some of Tempe's statements (particularly in regards to the $2 drinks), I'd say your guess is right. It's unfortunate because that's the a la carte feature that really feel needs to be eliminated (when conditions improve).

In all fairness though, with regards to the other ones, I doubt you'll see any of the airline rescind any of their a la carte pricing strategies unless the price of oil goes to unbelievably low levels.

The only 2 US carriers that charge for soft drinks, juices and water are Spirit and Allegiant--no other major airline in the US charges for ALL beverages. It was a short-sighted, ill-advised move by Tempe, that may raise SOME revenue, but also pi$$e$ off our customers and probably costs us more revenue than it creates.....and given the paltry load factors over the Labor Day weekend(less than 80% for the holiday 4-day period)....people ARE booking away from US.

Tempe needs to take steps now to correct the huge customer service issues that they created....

The only 2 US carriers that charge for soft drinks, juices and water are Spirit and Allegiant--no other major airline in the US charges for ALL beverages. It was a short-sighted, ill-advised move by Tempe, that may raise SOME revenue, but also pi$$e$ off our customers and probably costs us more revenue than it creates.....and given the paltry load factors over the Labor Day weekend(less than 80% for the holiday 4-day period)....people ARE booking away from US.

Tempe needs to take steps now to correct the huge customer service issues that they created....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yes they DO need to take a big step now and eliminate the charge. They should be adding premium beverages and snacks for sale- i.e., large bottles of water, flavored drinks, energy drinks,martini's and cashews, smartfood, chips etc. US has NEVER been an innovator in anything. Now would be the perfect time to be a leader and change that. One can dream.... <_< <_<

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yes they DO need to take a big step now and eliminate the charge. They should be adding premium beverages and snacks for sale- i.e., large bottles of water, flavored drinks, energy drinks,martini's and cashews, smartfood, chips etc. US has NEVER been an innovator in anything. Now would be the perfect time to be a leader and change that. One can dream.... <_< <_<

Delta does this--they still have free basic snacks, but then they have premium, larger snacks for sale as well. I think it is a win-win, to be honest. I would pay for something extra.

For a company so focused on à la carte service, US does not offer any snacks for sale on short flights. I don't understand the inconsistency!

Now that the price of oil is near $100 a barrel, will your CEO rescind the a la carte? (I still cannot believe that email that was sent out that gave a definition of a la carte.)