Oil Discussion/Speculation

Along this thread's lines, some might find this [post="0"]article [/post] interesting.

They use Jap front ends and Mexican wiring depending on the year.

My 88' FXRS goes 'Banzai' every time I pop the wheels off the ground.

Be it proper Hogs or imports..Bike folks are wholly unappreciated for being the true enviornmentalists :up:

I wish I could agree that the oil pricing's but a speculative bubble that'll likely settle down in the immediately forseable future..but...I'm afraid that the days of "cheap" oil are over, unless some major economic and political changes occur worldwide. Good luck to us all in any case.

Whew!...must be time for some fresh "bugs in the teeth"..and it's a nice day outside.

I don't know why everone wants there to be a man behind the curtain (speculators). It is simple and here are the facts:

Word oil demand: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_...oil-consumption

World oil production: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_...-oil-production

I guess if there is no boogy man behind the curtain, the responsibility falls to us and we all know people in the US turn away from responsibility these days.

Notice that China consumption number of 6,000,000 barrels per day? It is estimated to be greater than World production by 2012, that is only 4 years away. LCC has to find a way to make money with oil at $150 per barrel or greater, or go out of business.

I don't know why everone wants there to be a man behind the curtain (speculators). It is simple and here are the facts:

Word oil demand: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_...oil-consumption

World oil production: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_...-oil-production

I guess if there is no boogy man behind the curtain, the responsibility falls to us and we all know people in the US turn away from responsibility these days.

Geezus, what an eye opener. I didn't know we were WAY OVER being #1 in fuel consuomption! It's obscene.

Sell their soul once more?
Dwindling list of assets......
Losing proposition......
Career change is in order....

Speaking of a career change; a great living will be made trading in the "Cap and Trade" (Carbon Credit) markets. The carbon credit market will make the oil market look like "chump change"(This is the reason many "environmentalist" are for it, they will get rich. "Follow the money honey."). Every business will need them, and when their allotment runs out, they will have to pay for them to continue operating. It kind of reminds me of Tony Saprono and his protection money. The speculators have already raised the "future" price of a government mandated "carbon credit" from $2.50 to over $7.00 per unit. All speculators do is predict the price of a comodity into the future. They now believe "Caps and Trade" will happen, thus the price is skyrocketing. Speculators believe that Congress (as usual) will do nothing about our oil situation, thus the future price of oil skyrocketed. Since we, as a nation, are determined to screw up our good thing here in the good 'ole USA, us airline people may as well be the ones to profit from it. Prepare to trade in carbon credits. Start your due dilagence now.

For those of you who still wish to believe the do nothing politicians and their falsehoods about the "man behind the curtain" (speculators), here is some information to read. It is somewhat long and boring, but unlike what our illustrious politicians are spouting, it is fact:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/highlights.html

Airlines and aircraft companies must find a business model and a way to build aircraft that are profitable at high oil prices. Bankruptcy won't do it this time, they must make a fundamental change in the way things are done, a paradigm shift for sure.

It looks like we just dodged the $200 barrel oil mark: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=08...;show_article=1

Uh-huh...

You have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

Frontier Airlines... That's what you are basing your optimism upon...? <_<

Ok then, I'll see your Frontier Airlines, and raise you ATA, Aloha, MaxJet, Eos, Skybus, Champion Air, and Focus Air... All of which were unable to access financing to survive. And that's not even counting the ongoing meltdowns at Tradewinds, Gemini, and Air Transport Services Group (Capital, ATI, and ABX Air).

But hey, Frontier is hanging on by a thread, right...?

Here's a fun little quote, read this from the Chicago Tribune, and ask yourself if you think Wall Street is not willing to throw US Airways under the bus (to save larger investments in the other legacy airlines)...???

Think the Feds are going to do something about US Airways going under...? Yeah right.

If jetBlue/LH takes over the LGA/DCA slots, and Southwest takes over Philly, then the cries over consolidation = less competition will be nothing more than a whisper... And is is a simple fact that the Goverment + Media + Public has little appetite for another industry bailout. The news stories will be call it an "unfortunate", yet "necessary" means for the marketplace to correct itself, and strengthen/protect the remaining carriers. :(

Ask yourself, what do you think it was it that United offered CAL to get them to go with the Star Alliance...?

My Guess...? It was the ability to step in and take the place of US Airways.

Nuff said.

The problem is twofold as I see it. I truly do believe there is a bubble coming that will rain oil all over us. The futures traders are responsible........Goldman Sachs predicted 8 years ago that oil was going to rise a certain amount of $$ and by golly, it did! GS trades futures. Well whadaya know! They, among other entities gave prognostications of higher oil prices and whadaya know!

Oil should not be defined as a commodity but should be put back in the raw materials file.

The other problem is that for decades, mostly the Democrats have kept us from drilling in our own country and off our own shores. Sen. John Breaux, D-ret. gave a fabulous presentation to the Senate about DRILLING in ANWR but his presentation fell upon deaf and dumb ears.

Those who benefit by default are the oil companies and the Arabs. Oil company execs said at a hearing in DCA that oil should be trading in the $35-$65 range. The Saudis think oil should be in roughly the same range.

So you tell me.......why isn't Congress stepping in to rein in the futures traders by widening the margins and making them take the damn oil and store it in their big swimming pools. Remember Hillary's futures in cattle? If she had to take those beasts home, she would have been too busy to run for ..........gasp, wheeze........choke.............President! Instead, she took home 100K.

UU

Oil company execs said at a hearing in DCA that oil should be trading in the $35-$65 range. The Saudis think oil should be in roughly the same range.

Could it be that oil refiners (that is what most US oil companies really do) make the most money on their refining crack spread at $70 per barrel? The Saudis are afraid of demand destruction and the fact that the US will find alternatives to oil, ie. natural gas. It is not speculators or oil companies or the man behind the curtain driving up oil costs, it is supply and its artificial constraints imposed by the US Congress. I have posted the numbers on this thread today, there is a 2,000,000 barrel per day shortfall in World oil supply. We have at least that much oil available in ANWAR and off the coasts, but we can't touch it do to government saying it is verboten to access our resources. Access our oil whilst we look for alternatives and the price will plument. Continue on our current path and we will see never ending oil price increases. That is what the traders see and they are betting their hard earned money that the do nothing Congress will continue to restrain the means of production (as proposed by Karl Marx) and as such, oil will be $130-150 per barrel at delivery this fall.

The carbon credit market will make the oil market look like "chump change"(This is the reason many "environmentalist" are for it, they will get rich. "Follow the money honey.").
Why would an environmentalist be "for" a carbon credit market to "get rich" when there are a multitude of much more lucrative credit markets already in place? You are presuming "environmentalists" would only "get rich" in one credit market and not another? Are you thinking?

Better arguments, please.

Latest posts

Back