One Airline Listened to its Elites---

Hey Mama,

Knowing both posters I can assure it was indeed tongue in cheek.

I have to tell you that not flying US Airways has made me a happier more mellow person. No scheduled trips on them through years end yet.

So to Dougie and all of sycophant "Scotty Dogs" that work for US under the direction of the ever arrogant and glib Scott Kirby here's a thought for you to chew on.

You know elites are leaving or have left at a pretty regular pace, what will you do when the yields drop to unacceptable levels??

This ain't Vegas and you boys ain't gambling with house money either, 35,000 'k it up.

Bob, Glad to hear your life is more stress free! Its more of a health issue to me and I know how stressful trvl can be, so congrats!. I still dont have a problem with all the additional fees but as I have posted before I have take issue with the 500 mile minimum mileage and the bonus miles for preferred. Oil prices are still an unknown variable as yesterdays market shows but I still think there can be some kind of middle ground. Co showed it by giving their preferred the 500 miles back but ONLY their preferred. What a way to increase the value of their program! I also think there can be a way to give back the bonus miles. Maybe only for those that have maintained status for a set number of years(?) What a way to reward loyalty!! Maybe only platinum level and up? That will cause some to try to do more trips on US rather than split the diff with another carrier. Maybe none of these are ideal but some compromise needs to be done to show those that trl US heavily they are appreciated. I never question anyones motive for moving their travel to another carrier as US has not given any incentive to stay loyal. It just makes me sad to think of the future prospects of those that depend on US for their livlihood. Well, I hope you are enjoying your extra time with your family and best wishes in all your future endeavors. Warm Regards, Mama

Status match with DL and you'll be much happier. I too could have stayed with US for all of my flying out of FLL since they are the most competitive with DL for me.

Status match is not needed I am Gold on DL and Pltm on NW with BIS miles this year, so I will be at the top next year with the DL/NW merger. The real question is do I want to put up with US to get gold for a little extra benefit next year on the occassion that they are the 'best' option for me.

Bob,

I do agree with you. However the DL option was not as good as I thought until today.

I had to change to a later flight, that is why my company buys Y tickets. Called up the Gold desk to make the change. I was told it would be $34.42 fare difference and $150.00 change fee! I protested, she said my mistake, no change fee on a Y ticket. And then added, I don't see many of those any more.

Then came ONCI, it would not let me process a change of seat, and still had me in coach. I finally gave up and printed a boarding pass after being on hold with the no help desk. It appears to me, the problem was based on the fact the system upgraded me, but I was in the coach section of the plane.

So next week I am off to DL out of BOS, who needs to deal with this crap to give a company some good business

Don't forget the best value in the industry...the Continental Elite Y Fare...Elite members buy a Y fare and get first class for free, space permitting. It's the best value I've seen. The bonus miles, first class and no change fees make it an even easier choice for me.

I agree! I am it taking BOS-SFO next week.

However the route I am speaking about (PVD-CHS) is a Q400/erj145, so US 737/737 looked like the best option at the time

All you FF's seem to have the same complaint ....I don't get enough for free...It is a sad reminder of what the FF program has created. I do not agree with the fee's that the airline has created but what is wrong with getting what you payed for ..A SEAT....If you pay for coach sit in coach if you pay for first sit in first period. If the flight is 250 miles you get 250 miles why get more, I don't get more food when I go food shopping I don't get an extra pair of socks when I go clothes shopping. My personal favorite is when a FF uses their miles and complains that they don't get a free upgrade on a free ticket with their status.

All you FF's seem to have the same complaint ...If you pay for coach sit in coach if you pay for first sit in first period. If the flight is 250 miles you get 250 miles why get more.....

We have no problem sitting in coach when we pay for it. What we can't stand is when the program that YOUR MANAGEMENT has created to allow upgrades isn't correctly implemented.

The mileage awards were created, in part, based on assumptions that people would get 500 minimum points(I remember when it was 1000). The same can be said for the elite qualifying status. Changing the minimum miles awarded for short segments without modifying the award charts is borderline bait and switch. YOUR MANAGEMENT has spent the last 2 years courting people to join this fleabag of a frequent flyer program only to dismantle it one piece at a time. I laugh at the hawkers in the terminal that practically grab me and try to get me to sign up for that crappy visa with the "get a free roundtrip ticket!" "get free upgrades!". I have to wonder if they, themselves, are frequent flyers on this airline or not.

<SNIP> All you FF's seem to have the same complaint ....I don't get enough for free... <>I don't get more food when I go food shopping I don't get an extra pair of socks when I go clothes shopping.

I had a really great customer service experience recently. It included a large comfortable seat, complimentary beverages and snacks and DirecTV programming (decided to do some work on my laptop instead). I also took full advantage of their loyalty program which gave me some significant value.

Guess where I was?

All you FF's seem to have the same complaint ....I don't get enough for free...It is a sad reminder of what the FF program has created....If the flight is 250 miles you get 250 miles why get more, I don't get more food when I go food shopping I don't get an extra pair of socks when I go clothes shopping.

Mileage programs were implemented to build loyalty, and reward customers for their loyalty. As a customer, I care a lot about value. If I'm going to fly 60K miles a year on an airline, I will choose the airline that provides a combination of convenience and value. I left US because I found another airline which did a much better job of meeting the "value" equation.

If US is losing their frequent flyers, I promise you it is not because they are not getting upgraded. NOBODY gets upgraded for free on CO, with the rare exception of Platinums, and even then, usually only on the much higher fares. I will gladly trade in free upgrades for cleaner planes, free wifi in the clubs, reciprocal lounge arrangements with parner airlines without having to pay $120 extra, 500 mile minimums, double elite miles, a better IT system, 2" more pitch in F, and 1" more pitch in Y, IFE, power outlets which exist and are enabled for use, and do not require a special adapter.......and a closet to hang my winter coat on those rare occasions when I am flying up front.

To use the grocery store analogy, which grocery store would you choose to shop at: The one who sells you bruised fruit for $2.99/pound, or the one who sells you beatiful, ripe, organic fruit for $2.99/pound, and throws in a free pound for every 12 pounds you buy?

And they are even giving retroactive credit...yeah, US is an industry leader--leader of the losers.

And they are even giving retroactive credit...yeah, US is an industry leader--leader of the losers.

What would it actually cost US to follow United's move? This seems like an easy way to create some goodwill amount very frequent flyers.

The one thing everyone misses in all the analogies is this is not a 1st payer system. The vast majority (90+%) do not pay for their tickets and a large % have no choice (Either by company policy or geography), so the market doesn't work the same way with VFFs as does in most other businesses. This is much more akin to our current healthcare system rather then most customer service type businesses.