Pics of NEW a321 N193UW

Those are definitely not the "buzz saw" engines from the America West fleet. Someone explain why this has the East engines

The reason for the two engine types is based on the preivious agreements with both engine manufactures, until sometime in 2010 when all the new aircraft will be IAE V2500.
Regards
DC

Oh yes, I'm so excited...No IFE...No power ports for the laptops and DVD players.

Gee..did someone tell me that the folks were using those dang things and that's why we don't need a IFE???

Hmm??? Laptop batteries are good on average for 2 to 3 hours. Maybe. Not sure about the DVD players. MY guess is less.

Oh and what did we as flight attendants get in return.......a fold down table top attached to the bulkhead wall in the forward galley!!!

Does trailer galley come to mind???

And these sorry SOB's have also put in storage units in the forward area where we used to have closets for emergency equipment. In other words, they are putting the storage areas back that we had to begin with...less the closets.

I could just scream.

I'm begining to think everyone in Tempe has ADD. They won't listen. They refuse to take advise from their peers.

It's their way or the highway...no matter the cost.

I have never seen a group of people that are walking around with blinders on.

Such tunnel vision.

And in the process....are making fools of themselves in the industry.

I did some digging to find an interesting press release when Tempe management actually REVERSED a decision to REMOVE all power ports. It was a sign of a customer-focused management. Too bad that was almost 3 years ago....

Are these new A321s orders from the new LCC or the old US? Now what boneheaded bean counter in Tempe made the decision in the last year or two to order the A321 without in-seat power? Either way, it's a slap in the face and a complete back step from the below press release. I wonder if the new A332s will have in-seat power throughout the cabin. Are you listening Tempe????

US Airways Customers Empowered - Airline Will Continue to Offer Power Ports in Every Row on Airbus Aircraft
TEMPE, Ariz., Dec 06, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC) today announced it will maintain power ports on its US Airways' operated Airbus fleet, which today includes the A319, A320, A321 and A330. The power ports supply 15 volts for laptop computers, portable DVD players and other electronics via in-arm connectors. Adapters, necessary to utilize the power ports, vary according to laptop type and can be found at most major electronic stores.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)

"Our customers, especially business customers, have told us that power ports are an extremely important amenity to them. They no doubt come in handy on longer flights, and in particular transatlantic flights," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing.

The power ports will continue to operate on more than 120 US Airways aircraft. The airline is analyzing whether to install power ports on additional America West-operated Airbus aircraft.

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 4,000 flights per day and serve more than 225 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance, which was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers global reach and a smooth travel experience. Star Alliance has been voted Best Airline Alliance by Skytrax in 2003 and 2005. The other members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, TAP Portugal, THAI, United, and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and SWISS will be integrated during the first half of 2006. Overall, the member carriers offer more than 15,000 daily flights to 790 destinations in 138 countries. (LCCG)

SOURCE US Airways

I'm not sure if I caught all of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if this has previously been addressed: In looking at the photos in the 7/24 edition of ABOUT US, it appears as if there is no mid-cabin lav. Can anybody confirm this?

I'm not sure if I caught all of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if this has previously been addressed: In looking at the photos in the 7/24 edition of ABOUT US, it appears as if there is no mid-cabin lav. Can anybody confirm this?

It's there. Look closely on the right side of the pic for the swoosh.

That's very unfortunate. Using these airplanes for transcon without inflight entertainment is bad enough. But then to deny folks access to power to keep their own carry-on entertainment powered for 5 hours is just plain stupid.

This is such a red herring. The power ports have never worked properly. I've tried power adapters from 3-4 manufacturers on 5+ Dell laptops. The power kept cutting in and out and I always just gave up. It's much simpler and cheaper to carry an extra battery for long flights.

Is your Dell one of those monstrosities that still tries to pass as a "laptop"? :) I swear I see some people sitting in a middle coach seat with a computer that amounts to a mini-Univac!

The EmPower ports provide only 15v. Some of the larger, more powerful laptops draw more than that, which would explain power problems or discharging while using it. In the 10 years US has been flying Airbuses with these, I've *NEVER* had a problem in owning about 4 or 5 different model laptops (my latest being a MacBook).

I have 4 batteries for my Toshiba, and I don't want to be messing around with an chord with an adapter. I just rather pull out my Laptop and power it on and go. I have it on auto energy savings when does run with chord so that extends each battery life a bit. The most I have used was 2 on flights, that is because I was on it while in SLC waiting on a connection back to PHL. If I use it for DVD's, I don't even have to power it up thru windows. But everytime I go on a flight, I forget to do that and end up powering the entire PC. No Biggie.

Is your Dell one of those monstrosities that still tries to pass as a "laptop"? :) I swear I see some people sitting in a middle coach seat with a computer that amounts to a mini-Univac!

The EmPower ports provide only 15v. Some of the larger, more powerful laptops draw more than that, which would explain power problems or discharging while using it. In the 10 years US has been flying Airbuses with these, I've *NEVER* had a problem in owning about 4 or 5 different model laptops (my latest being a MacBook).

No, I have one of the mini Dells. Again, never worked. I gave up back in 2005 and just bought an extra battery.

US has no reason to eliminate First Class on a A321. They're short on range, particularly on transcontinental flights. There are A321's in all-coach with 222 seats at 28" pitch. Spirit runs them with 218 with one row of "big front seat."

If US eliminated first class and replaced it with coach, they'd have to deal with the weight of the extra passengers. They'd never make it from Philadelphia to Los Angeles in all-coach unless they spaced the seats out for a net gain of ZERO seats) and something tells me they're not going to be giving coach one inch of pitch when they can keep it just like it is (with first class) on the off-chance that someone would be stupid enough to pay extra for it.

I remember one of the US Airways executives commenting about how difficult it was going to be to replace their 757's a while back for this reason. He actually said they were "great" airplanes.

US has no reason to eliminate First Class on a A321. They're short on range, particularly on transcontinental flights. There are A321's in all-coach with 222 seats at 28" pitch. Spirit runs them with 218 with one row of "big front seat."

If US eliminated first class and replaced it with coach, they'd have to deal with the weight of the extra passengers. They'd never make it from Philadelphia to Los Angeles in all-coach unless they spaced the seats out for a net gain of ZERO seats) and something tells me they're not going to be giving coach one inch of pitch when they can keep it just like it is (with first class) on the off-chance that someone would be stupid enough to pay extra for it.

I remember one of the US Airways executives commenting about how difficult it was going to be to replace their 757's a while back for this reason. He actually said they were "great" airplanes.

Bobby, I have said for a long time that US should keep all the 757's, gut them, renovate them, ETOPS them and place the 12 Envoy seats in them. Use these planes for T/C and T/A only. While 4 less seats than the 321, I don't think you would hear too much complaining from our FF's. That way IFE could be offered for FC. Then, take FC out of all the other planes.

Bobby, I have said for a long time that US should keep all the 757's, gut them, renovate them, ETOPS them and place the 12 Envoy seats in them. Use these planes for T/C and T/A only. While 4 less seats than the 321, I don't think you would hear too much complaining from our FF's. That way IFE could be offered for FC. Then, take FC out of all the other planes.
I thought the main reason for the A321 is the fuel efficiency. Especially on some of the routes where the yields are almost nill.

The 757 is better by all other metrics, but even airlines like CO and AA are moving to the 737-800/900 for long haul domestic trips due to the fuel economies that the 757 can no longer match in today's economy.

Latest posts