Planned Pilot sick-out on Friday

Catcrew shows that they are deadheading two out-of-base pilots to the West coast for our trip. They will split-off tomorrow and we'll get two more. That's a grand total of six pilots so far for this little trip!

It was probably necessary to get "out of base pilots" because we no longer have a base on the west coast. Now, I dont know if this is the true reason, just a guess on my part.

Pilots have a few more restrictions than f/a's. It's not uncommon to replace them for 30/7, PT's, days off, etc, in the middle of a trip.

Happy Flying and I hope the revolving door in the cockpit doesn't stress you too too much

Happy Flying and I hope the revolving door in the cockpit doesn't stress you too too much

Stress?! Ha! I know about FA stress reduction techniques.

You can't fool me. I have seen it! "Your TRASH, sir!" As you politely extend the white bag to collect trash they don't have. :lol:

As of 9pm up to 41 canx today. 19 crew and 22 equip/crew. No other canx for maint/atc or any other reason today. Wonder if it really would have been a 100% completion day without all the sickos out today? Hardest hit were the Shuttle flights. LGA had 9 canx (all Shuttle), BOS 8 (7 Shuttle/BDA), CLT 7, DCA 4 (3 Shuttle), PHL 3 and many misc returns canx.

Wonder if it really would have been a 100% completion day without all the sickos out today?

The West had 22 cancelations yesterday and today. So considering the volume of operations of East and West there really wasn't too much difference between cancelations.

Gate agents in ALB wondered what happened as they only had one cx today. Our agent said the station heard about the sick out up there and the ALB station manager added extra staff to help reroute pax in anticipation of many cx ....so perhaps we should say every day will be a sick out by various work groups and they will once again begin to staff the airline properly w/ the correct amount of gate agents to assist our passengers...like Tempe could even comprehend that.

A couple of articles on the "sick out" from earlier today:

Article 1

Article 2

Separately, with the flying day drawing to a close, flightstats show 41 East mainline cancellations vs 5 yesterday. West mainline shows 12 today vs 10 yeaterday.

Jim

The Shuttle is the hardest hit, with some of those undoubtedly the trickle down from the initial cancellation.

Jim

Jim,

That is exactly what happens. The Shuttle trips are mostly 1-days with multiple legs. When one Shuttle leg cancels, especially the first one of the trip, the crew and aircraft are out of sequence and position to complete the other legs.

This happened many times this summer, and had nothing to do with pilot actions, other than management not supplying enough of them to properly staff the airline; and regularly scheduling them for 14-hr. duty days in thunderstorm season.