Planned Pilot sick-out on Friday

Up to 29 now - and on the flightstats.com page I linked to that's all East mainline - no Express (although there have been a few Express cancellations in addition to the 29 East mainline). West has canceled 2.9% of flights tracked so far, East 7.2%. The Shuttle is the hardest hit, with some of those undoubtedly the trickle down from the initial cancellation.

Jim

Sorry the link you posted doesn't seem to work. But lets suppose your numbers are correct..

It fails to demonstrate that there was a planned sickout. If there are cancellations it is obvious why they occurred. Prater and Parker knew exactly what to expect. It was predictable. Anyone could predict the reaction. But it takes a special breed to attempt to capitalize on it.

I am not talking about being a passenger on a plane.

I am talking about an employee who calls in sick then non-revs, if you are a ground employee and do not get permission from your boss you can be disciplined.

Is that too hard for you to understand?

I am talking about an employee who calls in sick then non-revs, if you are a ground employee and do not get permission from your boss you can be disciplined.

It's my understanding that non revs = passengers, not active aircrew, and your question was answered previously. I'll leave the "Is that too hard for you to understand?" issue in your capable hands.

On a less acidic note: Consider the circumstance where a crewmember might need to seek his/her regular physician, dentist/etc, and is many miles away from the doc's office due to work.

Your question was "If a pilot is a commuter and he calls out sick on his trip, are they allowed to non-rev or jump seat to get their next trip?"

The answer is, "I have never been questioned about jumpseating when I was sick. And I haven't been worried about the boogy many catching up with me."

Sorry the link you posted doesn't seem to work. But lets suppose your numbers are correct..
Seems to work for me, but it may be that you have to register for flightstats.com - it's free. I certainly can't vouch for the accuracy of their data, but only report what they say.....it's up to 31 East mainline cancellations as of 2:40 pm.

As to who is responsible, all I read is claims with no proof - conspiracy theories, in other words.

Jim

Seems to work for me, but it may be that you have to register for flightstats.com - it's free. I certainly can't vouch for the accuracy of their data, but only report what they say.....it's up to 31 East mainline cancellations as of 2:40 pm.

As to who is responsible, all I read is claims with no proof - conspiracy theories, in other words.

Jim

Yeah, I suppose the company will have to produce the flyers with USAPA logos as part of their law suit.

Maybe Prater will remember not to use “ALPA official business onlyâ€￾ envelopes when he mails them some more copies. Note to self.. use one envelope to mail Nic award, use different plain envelope to mail USAPA sickout flyiers. :lol:

Maybe Prater will remember not to use “ALPA official business onlyâ€￾ envelopes when he mails them some more copies. Note to self.. use one envelope to mail Nic award, use different plain envelope to mail USAPA sickout flyiers. :lol:

Be fair now. If you're only paying the Alpo secretarial staff in the highest double digits/more than most FO's make...you'll naturally have little issues like that :lol:

Be fair now. If you're only paying the Alpo secretarial staff in the highest double digits/more than most FO's make...you'll naturally have little issues like that :lol:

Ok. Ok. Staff salaries are a necessity. We have to allow for everyone to have standards about something after all. :huh:

I've never heard of a pilot getting any hassle when they call in sick for one trip then non-rev or j/s for their next trip. That's pretty much the standard "can't commute so call in sick" scenario. After all, pilots are somewhat fortunate in that there can be valid reasons not to fly today that don't apply tomorrow and a doctor's note is so easy to get after the fact if necessary.

What the company could do if they really wanted to push it is cross-check sick calls with non-rev or j/s travel on the same day, but I've never heard of a pilot getting hassled for even that.

Jim

I have heard that the company can and has cross-checked sick calls with CASS queries, for what it's worth. So J/S OAL is still a potential gotcha.

I have heard that the company can and has cross-checked sick calls with CASS queries, for what it's worth. So J/S OAL is still a potential gotcha.

I know the boogy man is really, reeeeaaaallly big.

I have never been asked about jumpseating while sick, and if I am the criteria to pilot a plane is different than the criteria to sit as a passenger (and barf in the blue water once in awhile.)

Yaaaawn.

My first flight this morning was late, waiting on an F/O. He never showed up. They pulled another F/O from a flight that was missing a Captain. That back-end crew DHed on our flight. Once we got to our destination, they took both of our pilots to do the REDEYE back. So now, we have no front-end crew at all. We're wondering if we'll even have an a/c tomorrow since there were cancellations for the outbound flights. No plane, no pilots...coincidence? Hmmmm...These pilots didn't call in sick, they were just very, very late.

Cancellations are up to 36 now, but funny thing is the “on-timeâ€￾ stat compared to yesterday is pretty much the same.

But the sign of a “realâ€￾ Union with real power is one who has the power to get the AP to write a story about who called for a sickout today. That would really impress me.

but funny thing is the “on-timeâ€￾ stat compared to yesterday is pretty much the same.
That's because cancellations are excluded from the on-time calculation - only flights that actually arrive at their destination are included.

Jim

That's because cancellations are excluded from the on-time calculation - only flights that actually arrive at their destination are included.

Jim

Well darn. And I thought that the reason was that we had more delayed flights posting yesterday than today, making up for the difference.

But we actually suck worse than the delay numbers show. Bummer.

Cancelations are better anyway. At least now the agents can pass out hotel and meal vouchers. Hope the passengers get to stay in mngmnt quality hotels. Maybe they are passing out USAPA sickout flyers along with the vouchers.

My first flight this morning was late, waiting on an F/O. He never showed up. They pulled another F/O from a flight that was missing a Captain. That back-end crew DHed on our flight. Once we got to our destination, they took both of our pilots to do the REDEYE back. So now, we have no front-end crew at all. We're wondering if we'll even have an a/c tomorrow since there were cancellations for the outbound flights. No plane, no pilots...coincidence? Hmmmm...These pilots didn't call in sick, they were just very, very late.
Catcrew shows that they are deadheading two out-of-base pilots to the West coast for our trip. They will split-off tomorrow and we'll get two more. That's a grand total of six pilots so far for this little trip!