Planned Pilot sick-out on Friday

Your right about one thing. USAPA will not defend any pilot executing a sickout on 9/21. It's not our responsibility to defend pilots we don't represent yet. It's now plainly obvious that this action by design is meant to drag USAPA into a battle that is not our concern. It won't happen. No amount of supposedly "planted" evidence will pass muster with any court. In PHL, I know one person who was passing out flyers. And he's not a USAPA supporter.
Our only concern and plan of action is to seek a certification election. That is the only area in our scope and responsibility at the moment. ALPA's misguided attempts to place the blame for such an action on a challenger only demonstrates once again the credibility we carry within the pilot group.

BTW. Nice try. Next!

A snivelling fish perhaps?

So far there have been 24 cancellations so far (12:30 pm), as opposed to 5 for the entire day yesterday. Looks like LGA & BOS with the most - 6 and 7 respectively.

Flightstats.com

Jim

Jim,

Maybe you can answer this question.

If a pilot is a commuter and he calls out sick on his trip, are they allowed to non-rev or jump seat to get their next trip?

I know as a ground employee you were not allowed to fly sick without permission of your boss and you could not fly during your shift that you called out on.

I've never heard of a pilot getting any hassle when they call in sick for one trip then non-rev or j/s for their next trip. That's pretty much the standard "can't commute so call in sick" scenario. After all, pilots are somewhat fortunate in that there can be valid reasons not to fly today that don't apply tomorrow and a doctor's note is so easy to get after the fact if necessary.

What the company could do if they really wanted to push it is cross-check sick calls with non-rev or j/s travel on the same day, but I've never heard of a pilot getting hassled for even that.

Jim

Jim,

Maybe you can answer this question.

If a pilot is a commuter and he calls out sick on his trip, are they allowed to non-rev or jump seat to get their next trip?

I know as a ground employee you were not allowed to fly sick without permission of your boss and you could not fly during your shift that you called out on.

If you are worried about the company "looking" to see what decisions you make about your fit to fly vs. to nonrev then you would fit fine in Stalinist Russia. :rolleyes:

If you haven't figured it out yet, you will always be "in trouble" with somebody. Do what you think it right and don't worry about all the boogy men.

There have been many incidents of ground employees getting questioned and/or disciplined for flying while sick.

There have been many incidents of ground employees getting questioned and/or disciplined for flying while sick.

Yeah, I think Jim summed it up in his last sentence. if anyone suggests you "do what you think is right" regardless of the rules in place, they are a fool

The criteria to fly a plane as a pilot on duty and to fly on a plane as a passenger are different.
700 isn't a pilot....I think what he's talking about is this:

I am scheduled to start working at 1000 but my 0645 flight is CNXd and so I call in sick, jump on the 1400 flight and get a room for tomorrow's 1000 showtime to prevent having a repeat on tomorrow's 0645 flight and having to use an add'l day of sick leave...

So far there have been 24 cancellations so far (12:30 pm), as opposed to 5 for the entire day yesterday. Looks like LGA & BOS with the most - 6 and 7 respectively.

Flightstats.com

Jim

Several DH8s and CRJs in mix. Comparing the West and East operation there really isn't much difference.

But none the less there never was a planned sickout anyway. ALPA supporters and the company showed their cunning, cooperation, and "special" skill.

700 isn't a pilot....I think what he's talking about is this:

Of course he isn't a pilot. That is why he doesn't know that the criteria to actually pilot a plane is diffent than the health standard to just be a passenger. People run around preaching about boogy men along with the sky is falling, the sky is falling..

Do what you know is right. There will always be a boogy man jumping out of the shaddows to yell "boo, I really caught you this time." Whatever.. :rolleyes:

Several DH8s and CRJs in mix. Comparing the West and East operation there really isn't much difference.
Up to 29 now - and on the flightstats.com page I linked to that's all East mainline - no Express (although there have been a few Express cancellations in addition to the 29 East mainline). West has canceled 2.9% of flights tracked so far, East 7.2%. The Shuttle is the hardest hit, with some of those undoubtedly the trickle down from the initial cancellation.

Jim