Psa Cancels At Least 58 Flights On Friday

Bluestreak

Advanced
May 20, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I just got off the phone with one of my fellow PSA pilots. He said it was a mad house in PIT yesterday. PSA was cancelling flights left and right. At one point in the afternoon he checked in sabre and counted 58 flights cancelled due to lack of flight crew.

Why is someone not fired for this? When is PSA going to get a professional crew scheduling department?

The flights are not cancelled due to flight attendants, they are due to ineffective use of pilots. They have plenty of qualified crews and choose to micromanage the current situations as they occur instead of planning out a liitle ways (like 10 minutes). Therefore they have haphazardly assigned all of the pilots to little bits and pieces and now don't have anybody else to assign. The manager of Crew Planning is supposed to be demoted soon, Long overdue!

Spoke with the MEC Chairman the other day the Manager is not to be demoted. They are going to split the responsibilities within the department. Planning and daily scheduling. You can bet she will occupy one of those positions.

PoorPropDriver said:
Spoke with the MEC Chairman the other day the Manager is not to be demoted. They are going to split the responsibilities within the department. Planning and daily scheduling. You can bet she will occupy one of those positions.
Which leaves the big question, WHY?
The gross mismanagement of this department and the huge sums of money paid out in pax compensation, meal and hotel vouchers, reaccomodation, pilots and f/a's junior man and extension pay, does not even address the loss of business due to poor customer handling and the lack of reliability....(big sigh)
They have a ready and willing roster of crew members who manage to keep most flights going DESPITE what obstacles the company puts in front of them on almost every departure. Clean house!

But wait! Isn't PSA the sole center of profit at U, and ripe to be spun off, thus fattening U's coffers?

Just face it! Affiliates, wholly-owned, we're-just-shakin'-hands, not -kissin' sucks!

One airline!

i was told last week from a psa pilot that the reason is that the pilots are being trained to fly the crj-700 the 70 seat jets but my question/point is why do they have to cancel so many flts when they should have had that done a long while back

This is just not what US needs. They have got to get their act together quickly. The more customers get frustrated, the more they look to other airlines. Over 100 flights in 2 days is not good.

I heard that PSA actually stopped taking deliveries of CRJ700's due to lack of trained crews and that some are leaving the company.

Here are the sad stats for the month of June:

June 1....25 cancelled flights
June 2....32
June 3....35
June 4....38
June 5....54 cancelled flights

Five day total: 184 cancelled flights

PSA has a history of understaffing during expansion. We had the same problem when we added aircraft to the fleet two years ago. They always forget to account for atrition, vacation, and sick calls.

Sorry to say, but we all know that this is piss poor managment. I feel really sorry for our customers. They do NOT deserve this. BK Here we all come. :unsure: :(

Latest posts