Psa Cancels At Least 58 Flights On Friday

Has anyone thought about doing a schedule change adjustment ASAP to help correct the problem? At least if they go thru and cancel flights in advance that they know arent going to be staffed until someone is trained to fly the plane, they can attempt to call the affected customers and get it taken care of BEFORE they get to the airport.

PS- Dont foget the kiosk can reroute you now when your flight is cancelled. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't one think that this is totally uneceptable in this day and age??? Once again, I will say this, USAirways, it's affiliates and it's wholly owned are an embarressement. People are being paid good bucks to run this whole shabang and these people need to be accounted for.

We are in the process of losing good cutomers everyday with this kind of shoddiness. Is this the point??????? God forbid. :( :( :(

And I'll say again that if it was all one list there wouldnt be any problem. Plenty of furloughed folks have sent in thier MAA interest forms and are awaiting a class date. There is no shortage of US Airways crewmembers waiting to come back to work in any form, any plane. And if the growth is too much for PSA at current staffing there are two other experienced wholly owned subs that could fly the jets, or be merged into one.

I've been dealing directly with a lot of the customers on cancelled PSA flights and it isn't pretty. They're upset and I don't blame them. I will be anxious to see the rating for consumer reports when it comes out.

Mismanagement is running rampant. They want us to be held accountable for everything under the sun, yet this BS goes on amongst scheduling and management with no accountability. When the heck will the blinders be ripped from their eyes so they can see where the money is going?

BTW, I've seen quite a few maintainance delays or cancels in the past 3 days. Any idea what's going on there? Combo of mainline and express.

Light Years said:
There is no shortage of US Airways crewmembers waiting to come back to work in any form, any plane. And if the growth is too much for PSA at current staffing there are two other experienced wholly owned subs that could fly the jets, or be merged into one.
This is totally inaccurate. There aren't any more people on the furloughed list that want a job at PSA. They ran out of pilots willing to take the FO slot in March. Now they are going through the list a second time to fill the captain slots. I doubt they will have any more people to fill July classes. This is at PSA. I hear that the MAA vacancies are getting down to the bottom as well. People just can't afford to take these jobs. After more than two years on furlough, a lot of people have found better paying jobs.....or at least better QOL jobs.

This whole problem is mismanagement. I don't know where to point the finger individually, but I'd like to get an email off to whoever is in charge of the Express division at U. Anyone have an email address for me?

This whole problem is mismanagement. I don't know where to point the finger individually, but I'd like to get an email off to whoever is in charge of the Express division at U. Anyone have an email address for me?

N.Bruce Ashby

ItsJustAJob said:
This is totally inaccurate. There aren't any more people on the furloughed list that want a job at PSA. They ran out of pilots willing to take the FO slot in March. Now they are going through the list a second time to fill the captain slots. I doubt they will have any more people to fill July classes. This is at PSA. I hear that the MAA vacancies are getting down to the bottom as well. People just can't afford to take these jobs. After more than two years on furlough, a lot of people have found better paying jobs.....or at least better QOL jobs.

I dont know about pilots, but this is certainly not the case with flight attendants. There are a couple thousand who are either awaiting a class date with MAA or still awaiting a letter. Many would be happy to staff PSA until thier MAA opportunity- the F/A job market isnt so hot.

MAA F/As only have to go through a few days of retraining. If they used furloughed employees for PSA as well, they could get them through in a few days rather than PSA's three week program. I'm sure there wouldnt be a high turnover either.

I just find it amusing that PSA was turning down furloughed mainline flight attendants in interviews, and then heard the other day they are starting to have trouble hiring anyone.

Bluestreak said:
Here are the sad stats for the month of June:

June 1....25 cancelled flights
June 2....32
June 3....35
June 4....38
June 5....54 cancelled flights

Five day total: 184 cancelled flights

PSA has a history of understaffing during expansion. We had the same problem when we added aircraft to the fleet two years ago. They always forget to account for atrition, vacation, and sick calls.
These just look like huge numbers for a small airline like PSA. Does anyone know how many total flights a day PSA flys? -Cape

Adding to the misery was the scramble to reposition what crews they had.

First, the cancelled flights overburdened the remaining flights, which were near capacity to start with.

Now, PSA has to Must-Ride crews from point A to point B, bumping even MORE passengers off.

And best of all, crews getting in verbal duels in the gate area of who is Must-Ride, who gets jump seat, etc. A real Charlie Fox.

Regional airlines, the salvation of U. Psssst, wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

Question.

Usually, when flights of that magnitude are xld, they are placed on queue for res to rebook.

As of late afternoon Friday, I did not see a lot of PSA xld's for the 5th. The the morning of the 5th, cancellation city.

Did PSA not advise someone of the situation (that had occurred a few times already)?

Or did res not have the resources to handle the problem?

Either way, a major boo-boo.

Called the reservation line and got the recording. "My call would be answered in approx 141 minutes" :huh: Obviously I hung up and called jetBlue. Talked to a person on the second ring.

This might sound a little crazy....

Could the company "care less" right now about operations? Opening the window for costly mistakes? With AA set to make a profit soon(USA Today)......and with US outsourcing Airbus work, saving from mainline-expressing almost a 1/4 of the company-(to date), round 1 and round 2 work rule and wage "enhancements" , and the fast and furious build-up of MidAtlantic.....

(It was my understanding we would be lowering costs-as each day passed)....

Maybe they are overlooking a few things until they get Round #3 behind them......

who knows.... <_<

I don't know what to think anymore...... :ph34r:

diogenes said:
Question.

Usually, when flights of that magnitude are xld, they are placed on queue for res to rebook.

As of late afternoon Friday, I did not see a lot of PSA xld's for the 5th. The the morning of the 5th, cancellation city.

Did PSA not advise someone of the situation (that had occurred a few times already)?

Or did res not have the resources to handle the problem?

Either way, a major boo-boo.
PSA only has 3 crew schedulers working at any one time (with a total of 2 phone lines to share). It was a weekend, and the crew schedulers that were there probably had about 2 months experience amongst all of them. They probably didn't know they were supposed to pass along any information.

They were only looking about 30 minutes into the future at all times.

If that is the case, the dispatchers need a stern talking too, perhaps backed by a little paperwork.

The folks that trained them need some guidance - was this scenario not covered (then spank the trainers), or did the dispatchers not go to school that day?

And the management genius who put these folks in this situation is probably riding FC/PS to CZM as we speak!

One more question. The cat was out of the bag on 6/1. Why was it allowed to go on thru the 6/5?

Surely someone with responsibility noticed after 4 days.

While this is typical at U, it is actually indicative of far too many managers in America. They want the $$ and the perks, but they run like a bas$%^d from accountability.

diogenes said:
If that is the case, the dispatchers need a stern talking too, perhaps backed by a little paperwork.

The folks that trained them need some guidance - was this scenario not covered (then spank the trainers), or did the dispatchers not go to school that day?

And the management genius who put these folks in this situation is probably riding FC/PS to CZM as we speak!

One more question. The cat was out of the bag on 6/1. Why was it allowed to go on thru the 6/5?

Surely someone with responsibility noticed after 4 days.

While this is typical at U, it is actually indicative of far too many managers in America. They want the $$ and the perks, but they run like a bas$%^d from accountability.
The word, "accountability" also jumps out at me. Those placed in a position of responsibility HAVE a responsibility to be accountable for those they train and supervise. It appears the "lunatics are running the asylum" and the warden lost his keys.... :ph34r:

Latest posts