Psa Cancels At Least 58 Flights On Friday

Well, today is the 21st (2 weeks after the first post on this subject) and things are still bad. At least 30 flights canx today no crew.
IS ANYONE GOING TO TAKE SOME PROACTIVE STEPS ANYTIME SOON?

I understand **** happens, but its been happening a while and NO ONE seems to have a clue what to do about it or is actually DOING anything about it. Precancel some flights and get these people advised before they come to the airport to check in. That way we can give them some options, protect them on us and not have the problems we are continuing to endure on the front line DAY AFTER DAY. Try getting someone to DAY or YOW in the afternoon. Isnt going to happen today. Had 2 people say this was the second time this trip it happened and they werent going to be flying us again. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE GUYS!

Does anyone in CCY or DAY at PSA have a clue what is going on? It isnt going away it appears and YOU are only making matters worse by not doing something about it. Someone step up and take responsibility AND ACTION. Make a decision and DO IT! Jeez, this is like the continuous maint fiasco of a couple summers ago. Does anyone in CCY remember anything that happened more than a day ago?

:censored:

whats the deal? is it just retarded crew scheduling or is there some kind of sick out? i find it hard to believe that any airline could screw up so badly... i mean..how many furloughs are there looking for work...

mp863 said:
whats the deal? is it just retarded crew scheduling or is there some kind of sick out? i find it hard to believe that any airline could screw up so badly... i mean..how many furloughs are there looking for work...
It is the former, not the latter. The crews do their very best to keep the airline running despite the obstacles scheduling places in their way.
HELLLLOOOOOO?!? Can we get some accountability?
(Same song, second verse......)

One wonders how much this is costing the company in lost revenue, reaccoms to other carriers and lost goodwill. I doubt we'll ever find out.

One also wonders how this could happen and about the accountablity of those responsible. Again, I doubt we'll ever learn.

Maybe it would be a refreshing change of pace for the company to actually honestly address its stakeholders about the negative events that are bound to happen in any large company. In this age of the internet it is hard to keep things quiet, be it the real reason for the bare metal "dot com" paint scheme (it is even in the new Airways or Airliners magazine, I forgot which) or the massive PSA cancelations.

The company could then reveal the steps being done to remedy the situation.

I haven't read the entire thread so if I'm about to say something that someone has already said, please forgive me.

PSA is having several different problems that all seemed to happen at once. Without having the proof to address all of them I'll simply say that it appears to be the fault of the company and the pilots (not all the pilots, just some).

From what I understand, PSA took delivery of planes earlier than expected. It looks like during one month when PSA was only supposed to take 4 planes, they took 11 and added 9 of them to the line.

It also appears that while they did this, at the time, they had the crews to do the work, and only feel short of the crews when some just up and left shortly after training. To add to the problem of a few people leaving, sick calls happen. There is no job action happening, it just seems like quite a few new pilots have been calling in sick, rather than sit reserve.

On an up note this week PSA has taken steps to correct the situation. Please note, that I'm not a company rep, so if it doesn't work, don't come crying. At the last moment before the pilots got to turn their bids in for July, the company recinded the bids and made new ones. I have'nt seen any official statement from the company about a reason for this, but there is reason to belive that one of the CRJs will be taken offline and a 328 will replace it until more crews can be trained.

I'm sorry that I could'nt get more specific and gives details, but I really don't have any to give. I just wanted to pass along to you all whats been passed on to me.

Most importantly I wanted to let you all know that this has been an embarassement to this pilot group, and many have picked up round trips here and there on their days off so as to try to keep some cancellations down.

If I'm right about the one CRJ coming offline next month, then hopefully July should go much smoother.

Just slightly over 40 canx today for crew as of 8pm.

Does anyone know if ANYTHING is being done to preplan cancellations? All afternoon flights to YOW were canx. Its hard enough getting people to some of these places to begin with, but throw in multiple cancellations from all of the hubs and its insane.

Shouldnt someone be getting that plan in order by now?

SRQ canx the afternoon flight again and sent everyone running to TPA to make a flight from there, but many didnt make the bag and checkin cutoff since they didnt give them enough time and we got some really happy campers. This IS NOT good customer service guys. Whoever is in charge of this fiasco, or the lack of straightening up this fiasco, since it doesnt appear to be going away, should have to personally answer all the complaint letters that WILL BE coming into Consumer Affairs. I wonder how many more return customers we're losing on a daily basis because someones head is in the sand (or another place) again? Its truly pathetic that this is continuing to happen for a month with no plan in place appearantly.

Can anyone give some insight as to when this mess might be fixed or at least an attempt made? :down: :down: :down:

The problem is plain and simple. They are too many accepted lines, too many airplanes on property and too few crews to fly them. Couple that with an ill-trained scheduling department and you have the makings for this fiasco.

Tim Kuescher will not spend any money on this airline. We have this problem, but yet I see no new bids for training being sent. I see no upgrade bids going out, yet I know of at least 10 Captains planning on leaving within the next month. Some of the instructors are going to bail; not to mention all the J4J pilots who are leaving once their 1 year committment is over. Doesn't Tim know this? He based his plan on the best case scenario with no contigency plan for if things did not work out as planned.

Now, we get to the scheduling department. I was on a trip this past week. I called the night before to find out who I was flying with. Scheduling told me who it would be for the whole trip. When I showed up for one flight, the Capt was getting out of the cockpit. I asked him where he was going. He thought "to the hotel". I said, "No, you are flying with me...you haven't been told? You are on the release and scheduling told me you were flying this last night". Here it is, 16 hours later and he still has not been notified as of departure time that he was suppossed to be flying this leg. Schedulings responce to him was "we are little behind".

Two legs later, I am flying a round-trip out of PHL to SYR. The Capt, I am flying with is just flying the one leg to SYR to then overnight to then just deadhead back in the morning. In addition, there is a Capt who is deadheading in the back of the plane up to SYR to just fly the one leg back to PHL. Why not have just one of those Capt's fly both legs and save some money and free up the other Capt to fly something else?? Can you say RIDICULOUS??!!

Tim K. should be taken out of the game immediately!! :down:

At some point there has to be someone in the Upper Managment that steps in and stops the insanity. These stories are outrageous. It sounds like getting more crews will only solve part of the problem. Good Luck.

There are at least 12 Captains (that I know of) that have been waiting for IOE for about 3 to 4 weeks now....don't know how many FO's......Are they that short of Check Airman to give IOE????

smfav8r said:
Are they that short of Check Airman to give IOE????
Yes and no.

We have the check airmen, however a large number of them are giving sim training in YUL. All the company has to do is let Bombardier handle the sim training for a little while longer, then those check airmen can be freed up to get pilots on line and this shortaged stopped. But nooooooooo, thats too easy! :rolleyes:

Skeezer

Are you listening Bruce? have you read these posts? Did Seigel prepare you for this?

AND YOU WANT THOSE OF US ON MAINLINE EXPRESS PAY TO WORK FOR LESS?

Okay, on a personnal note...... (may just be the beers I've had to celebrate the 4th and my b-day) I was almost in tears with frustration tonight with PSA cancellations. I guess the jagoff I had on the other end of the line on an RTFC didn't help either. Apparently anything I offered wasn't good enough and he was taking me to small claims court to boot. (It was just the icing on the cake after a month of dealing with PSA. I truly am not going nuts.)

Honestly, I am avoiding PSA flights. And yes, we have lost tons of revenue. OA reaccoms, refunded tickets, misconnects, etc. When is someone going to get their head out of their rear and correct the situation? I am sick and damn tired of making excuses for people who don't do a job well. It's not my job to cover someone else's arse. It is my job to create revenue and repeat customers not turn them away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSA just hired the consultant (Walter Darr) who audited them in May. His recommendations hit home so well that he was offered employment at PSA. Prior to his consultation business, he worked for ComAir crew planning. So maybe things will finally change for the better.

This is just another example of the waste and mismanagement this company is not concentrating to correct. There is so much that could be cleaned up and straightened out that would literally save millions daily. But the exec's only want to look at labor as it's saving grace. They first need to clean their own house and get this company in order before coming to us crying and singing the blues about us all be overpaid and underproductive. I have zero respect and faith in Crystal City. They dont have a friggin clue!!

Latest posts