QIK /SHARES migration

And still no four segment tag tags, either
"sorry, you'll have to recheck the bag in SEL for the flight to VVO." Yes, you'll have to clear Korean customs and immigration. Then head for the KE ticket counter and check in. Then clear security. Oh, you only have 90 mins?. Well, maybe the transfer desk in SEL can have someone in baggage service rertrieve the bag and recheck it. Or you can take the bag from terminal one to TBIT in LAX. In the unlikely event that the bag misses the transfer in PHL, it will only be tagged to LAX, , but I'm sure we can have the bag forwarded to VVO." Or I could handwrite these two manual bag tag and staple them together. Oh, last time we your checked bags on one of these tags they got lost.?

If only that were the least of the problem with QIK/SAHRES.

And still no four segment tag tags,

Last time I had this happen I was working FC and when I called next from the regular line (since there was no one in FC), they hadnt brought the bags over yet so I thought I just had a simple check in. Oh well, after about 20 mins all the bags had been tagged (they were reroutes from UA TPA-CLT-ORD on US conx to UA to LHR and BA on to Bangalore with 8 bags.) Write, staple, tape, tag. Works great. Of course if the computer had been able to print out a 4 tag segment it would have only taken me about 7-8 mins. (Australian passports, Indian visa requirements, Non resident Indian passport, etc). Anyway, someone came out to help with the inevitable FC line when someone is tied up for that length of time trying to hand tag that many bags. I really dont understand what the programming issue is with regards to adding another city or even two to a bag tag. You already know the code to tag it one, two or three cities, cant you just add the code two more times? :blink:

Was at an Alaska Airlines location the other day, seeing how much faster Sabre spits out a boarding pass made me remember how even such a simple transaction is faster in that system than in QIK/SHARES. It made me wonder if anyone ever did a quantitative analysis of transaction time - both in terms of user input and response time from the system. Actually, I only wondered for about two seconds before deciding that no such study was done.

It just makes economic sense that you would implement a system that is not only slower, but it has many time consuming "glitches", consistantly. :blink:
Why is my job mostly about doing additional work, for example, to fix said "glitches", as compared to the previous system. I would prefer a more hands on system, possibly more key strokes, but not as many as working thru a gui system, rife with an incompetent programmers touch. It is unequivocally, junk!!! Why would this make economic sense, I mean, timewise?
Process, process, process. Spinnin' wheels and burning cash!!! Dumb.
Over their heads, descisions based on reactions, not factors.
Time and time again. :angry:

Take solice in knowing that almost every major company's IT dept has systems that are f#%ed up. You don't want to see how sausage is made or law is made in congress or how systems are developed in IT. They take old antiquated systems and band-aid them with patches. Like taking an old model T and putting GPS in it. They never think or want to replace the old system. It's too entrenched and too costly to replace.

EDS has everyone over the barrel here.

I understand what you are saying, however, who is in charge, who is responsible, I mean, ultimatly? Where is for forsight? Leaders with half a mil' in income for the year and this is the best that they can do?
They make it inconvinient for the customer and for their employees.
Some one, somewhere ,can figure out how to make a good sausage with the crap removed. LCC is not capable at present.
They should have kept Sabre, I hated it then, but it is a whole lot better than this time consuming JUNK !!

And still no four segment tag tags.

Oh yea, I forgot what a pain in the ass that is... :rolleyes: Plus, the manual bag tags are flimsy and could easily fall off during the many transfers. What I usually do is research how long of a layover a customer has in a particular city. If they have a 3 or 4 hour layover at LAX or SFO for instance, before going across the Pacific, I suggest they just check their bags to the gateway city, since they have so many connections and recheck them with the overseas carrier, to be sure their bags make it.

Oh yea, I forgot what a pain in the ass that is... :rolleyes: Plus, the manual bag tags are flimsy and could easily fall off during the many transfers. What I usually do is research how long of a layover a customer has in a particular city. If they have a 3 or 4 hour layover at LAX or SFO for instance, before going across the Pacific, I suggest they just check their bags to the gateway city, since they have so many connections and recheck them with the overseas carrier, to be sure their bags make it.
Which, of course, takes extra time for you.

On the surface, I agree with the "grunt workers/programmers" at the IT department. Pretty much they are buried with legacy code/programs.

The people I would research are the project managers who set the conditions without, apparently, knowing anything about the wants and needs of the user. The people who "manage" the project managers should be fired outright, for not giving the project managers the tools they need to do even an adequate job.

Ultimately, this bangs right up on the execs, who seemingly have pictures of board members and farm animals, given their seeming relative "immunity" from censure.

I mean, one FA, asking employees to stand tall with integrity is threatened with termination but someone who specializes in DUI paperwork is given immunity for actions I would consider detrimental to the corporate "image". I realize this is done "everywhere", especially the white house and I would like to suggest that, perhaps, the country's malaise is in part because the citizens allow this to go on. There is no accountability.

Perhaps that one FA has pointed out the path to a better world. Not saying it will be easy to undo the last few decades but every journey begins with a first step, both at the corporate level as well as other parts of our country.

I am SO OVER these so-called enhancements.

I'll give you a thumbs up on the clearing specific standby. Too bad it took over a year to get it.

But, what the $#@$@# is going on when I try to rebook a passenger the normal way and I get blasted with mandatory popups that weren't there before.

If you know and perform your job properly, one more idiot popup isn't going to make this easier, and then the computer loops, and you look like an idiot going "um has anyone seen THIS before?"

I am SICK of the extra popups. Yes, I want to check in this reservation, but I am aware I need to adjust the ticket , so by the time I've gotten the newest popup out of my face that doesn't even show up every time, I could be finished.

I've gotten two new bag reroute popups that I haven't seen and they made me livid. The first one was way too long and needed specific information that didn't necessarily apply, and then it wouldnt GO AWAY. Another weird one had two options, misconnect or OTHER and I typed OTHER and there was no free flow and OTHER wasn't accepting.

Part of surviving this system and maintaining reasonable check-in time is knowing what popups to expect and what youre going to put in them and constantly navigating through. These surprise and erratic popups are , in my opinion, NOT helping.

It's making a job that required X keystrokes now require some head scratching and more keystrokes for the same result.

I am SICK of the gate readers not working. I'm disgusted, actually. The IT guy had to hold his cell phone over the gate reader during LGW to make it work. Why? It needed more light.
From a cell phone?

We aren't freaking McGuyver here. I don't have time to wave my blackberry over the gate reader while explaining to the chairman that got the free upgrade because the system crapped out last week that he can't have another one this week.

I am tired of having the "no help" desk say "i dont know WHY that's happening?" when there are seats on the map and they absolutely will not assign no matter what.

Can this company expect me to do this while I'm tearing tickets, monitoring and tagging carryons(and charging for), pushing wheelchairs, getting screamed at by pax who don't like their seats, a FA who is angry because this is the second time she's had a dupe seat and she's not supposed to be off the aircraft who can't understand why we can't just "do it right to begin with", adjusting tickets that are supposed to be paper, calming standby passengers down, telling 40 silvers that there is no more first class, putting remarks in the flight text so that the tower doesn't call me and wonder what's up, explaining to oversold people what is going on and still be expected to not lose my patience?

THIS DOESNT WORK.

THIS DOESNT WORK.

I'm fed up, I'm disgusted, I'm embarrassed, I'm tired, I'm overextended.

It hurts when the FA stomps down and flips the dupe seats at me making me look to the remaining 80 people in the boarding area like I'm incompetent. It looks bad. These same people saw me fighting with the computer earlier. It forms such a sour opinion.

For those of us who take pride in our work, and who genuinely care about the customer, we are still here, corporate. We still want to do this.

Please, please give us what we need - - it'll make your pocket fatter and my anxiety meds less necessary.

This IS AWFUL!!

-- so i hear...I'm but a humble gnome who let a frustrated airline employee vent on my laptop. she's gone now to go bang her own head in the liberty bell.

I need to learn the language Sabre Qik order to apply for a job. I could please provide a manual or tutorial with which you can learn and prepare for this employment opportunity.

Please

Thanks

[email protected]

You know an employee would be fired if they gave you anything.
Better try here:
http://www.sabretravelnetwork.com/home/products_services/products/qik_developer
B)

Reactions: 1 person
I need to learn the language Sabre Qik order to apply for a job. I could please provide a manual or tutorial with which you can learn and prepare for this employment opportunity.

Please

Thanks

[email protected]
Albert,
Are you talking about QIK/SHARES or the QIK/Sabre GUI system? Horses of very different colors.

The East side of US used QIK/Sabre for while to get people used to QIK/SHARES (which is still a steaming pile of manure). With post CO merger UA going with SHARES for reservations and boarding control, it will most interesting to see how its version of SHARES does. I imagine they will still givel users the choice of native SHARES or whatever their GUI is called. (No one I know at CO uses the GUI.) I am certain that the UA version will light years beyond the system chosen by Tempe. (BTW the only US employees with access to native SHARES work at the Sandcastle and help desk). Can you imagine checking in a 747-400 to HKG in the US version?