QIK /SHARES migration

Wonder how much we're losing a day because someone programmed OAL ticket stock issued tickets as being exempt from having to pay for a second bag? If being able to quickly reprogram and change QIK was one reason we kept it, how come these customers are still exempt almost 3 weeks after the new charges went into effect? I would think that knowing that revenue is being left on the table would mean that even a special QIKFIX upload would be done asap instead of waiting until the next months scheduled upload. Now tell me again why we're going to lose (so much) money this quarter? :down: :blink:
is that why the pop up doesnt come up on most tickets???? Too much work....oh well....I for one am doing it...taking more time for check in now due to this(and fear of getting furloughed so we collect, collect, collect) and many other items---the 2nd bag that only "x small" percent check and they are now paying cash and you now need change and now have to wait for the change type of transactions....it all takes more time...we wont lose money if we take our time and look at whther they actually owe or not....after all, they told us to collect right? So if the pop up doesn't come, most of us double check it now.......25 bucks is 25 bucks...is 25 bucks....yep its a pain but......?????

I wouldn't care if we went back to either one. Both of the old systems are so far superior to the crap we have now anything would be a step light years ahead of where we are now. There is one thing that has been constant here qik/shares sucked then, sucks now and will continue to suck in the future. Our ability to effectively and efficiently do our job will continue to suffer as long as we keep this POS system.

I say bring
SABRE BACK....

or better yet

PACER :up:
Or CARE? PI's CARE system was their version of Eastern's System One.
Now know as SHARES.. Funny thing is that 20 years ago, it was still better
than what we have now! At least a user did have to go through the gooey overlay.

That being said, the latest improvements are very nice. That being said, Sabre was still better. And faster.

Hey, BTW, let's all hope that US Aviation's migration goes better than that of a certain airline.

When it comes to the Sandcastle I'm no defender of their IT department. However I would like to point out one thing to all of you.

<snip>

It seems to me that US just picked the wrong system to migrate to.
I "help" companies with their IT systems and agree that database management can be quite challenging.

However,

a major transition like SABRE to QIK/SHARES, without backup, is basically a three hundred yard "hail mary", betting the company on a successful transition, doomed by an assumption that customers/employees would do the "beta testing", apparently, which played a major role in the fact that US was not #1 last year, except in complaints.

"Complexity", while often cited as an excuse for failure, on close examination, is rarely adequate and more often becomes a variant on the "dog ate my homework" excuse, in my experience.

It is bad enough that customers must undergo serious incursions on their person from rules imposed by the "what if, 1%" mentality of rulers intend on stuffing their own coffers, resulting in unreasonable delays just to bolster the concept of security theatre and completely ridiculous "rules" revealing more about upper level incompetence in our government than any kind of increase in security, the pathetic rules about carry-on "liquids" being just one.

Why would someone who can afford their own jet, fly commercial? Some of the koolaide drinkers here talk about the dearth of high paying customers and suggest ways the employees can "help out" the corporation yet completely ignore the elephant in the room, the reasons for the high payers absence. Facing incompetent booking abilities as well as incompetent "security", most high paying customers would sooner pay a premium that will get them where they need to go with minimum harassment. Make it worth their while with efficient "curb appeal" will get your high paying passengers back instead of having the ugliest storefront in town and "reaping" the low-fare, high cost (generally speaking) rider and driving your desirables away.

If for no other reason . the entire IT dept should be fired for GROSS INCOMPETENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY! Be nice, those kids are skipping their naps, putting down their security blankets and doing thier best! Give 'em a break!

I was going to start a new thread on this, but since this is back at the top, I think its a good place to put it since they go hand in hand.

Managers (Without a Clue) On the Warpath- Coming to a city near you!

You knew it was bound to happen. That little spot on the wall plastered with memos now has the "waived bag fees" chart with all of our names highlighted and how much we've "given away" in excess waivers. Manager was furious since his boss got on him since we were on the "10 Worst Station List" for waivers. He passed it on to a Shift Manager who passed it on to a PSS to post. Now, we all know that we are not waiving tons of things like we're being accused of. ITS THE SYSTEM WE HAVE TO WORK WITH that is causing many of the "waivers". The manager asked the sup the other day why we were waiving so much. The sup advised we werent that it was computer issues. The managers reply was just delete the extra bagtags then when you dont need them and its an error. Um, hello, anyone (without a clue) raise your hand. :stupid: He had no clue that once you get to the popup mask you either Collect the money or Waive the Charge to escape before you can go in and void the bagtag. He also had a fit about all the "wheelchair and personal assist devices" we were waiving. I know we have lots of elderly here, but they cant all be checking their wheelchairs. (This is the code that you have to use for carseats/strollers, etc if you dont do it at initial checkin). How about all those bagtag errors? No one in management can CHECK THE PNRS themselves to see where the tags were deleted AFTER you have to "waive" something to escape from the mask? No, they're much too busy and besides its just easier to accuse the agents of not doing their job. Previously collected waivers with the- Excess Bag Charge Collected $25- in the line above the waiver? How about the record that showed 5 bags checked (2 waived at $50), yet the history only shows 3 bag tag numbers total. Cant find the other 2 bag tag numbers. Not showing checked or deleted in history. My favorite that I've found was a customer going to Europe- checked in 2 bags and computer checked just to MUC (agent forgot to delete), checked 2 to HAM, now he's waived 2 bags. Checked in someone else in their party got 2 more bags, but the computer now showed they waived 4 additional bags. The total was 10 bags checked, but it showed they waived 28 additional bag charges totaling over $2000. This was from just 1 customer transaction! What about the Chairman (3 bags allowed), his wife and daughter booked in O (4 bags allowed) all booked in the same record that checked in 4 bags and I got a 2 excess mask popup? They could check 7 bags total without a charge and instead I got hit with a waiver of 2 bags. Rubbish, absolute rubbish I tell you. :mf_boff:
No, its much easier to give the agents a system that is not the most user friendly and then get on their *ss3$ when they "waive" something instead of having a system that doesnt jam or quit on a regular basis causing additional tags to be requested. I know many times the agent should delete tags before asking for more, but many times we arent aware that tags had been requested (kiosk checkin failure, skycaps, etc), yet we get the ding for the "waiver".
Also, on a positive note (sarcasm), we couldnt get anyone to tell us how much we HAD BEEN COLLECTING on a regular basis (they can only tell negatives or waivers?) so we started adding up (unofficial) ACO totals each night and posting the numbers on the fridge so we could see how we were doing. No one in management had a clue we were doing this (how did you get that info? :shock: ) and was surprised we were keeping track. I think that the attaboy posted on last months report was from a PSS who was embarrased. Heaven knows it would take a miracle for certain others to say good job!

PS- We're taking the advice we've been given so often and finding "workarounds" for the new system like we've been instructed to do. :ph34r: Subsequently our "waivers" should be decreasing rapidly!

what is a PSS?
I agree with your post....and many times, like you stated the skycaps have already checked bags, or the kiosk never issued...ect....you should forward your post to someone in the IT department for what its worth....

Take solice in knowing that almost every major company's IT dept has systems that are f#%ed up. You don't want to see how sausage is made or law is made in congress or how systems are developed in IT. They take old antiquated systems and band-aid them with patches. Like taking an old model T and putting GPS in it. They never think or want to replace the old system. It's too entrenched and too costly to replace.

EDS has everyone over the barrel here.

Is there any irony in the the master of SHARES migration on the Customer Service side, John Romantic, was recently promoted to Director Of Customer Relations.

As if competency mattered in this company.