QIK /SHARES migration

Take solice in knowing that almost every major company's IT dept has systems that are f#%ed up. You don't want to see how sausage is made or law is made in congress or how systems are developed in IT. They take old antiquated systems and band-aid them with patches. Like taking an old model T and putting GPS in it. They never think or want to replace the old system. It's too entrenched and too costly to replace.

EDS has everyone over the barrel here.
Then tell me why when US switched to SABRE, there was a few minor issues that were cleared up very quickly and AA had their agents helping out US at the major stations.

Why is SHARES not fixed after a year and half?

How come CO doesnt have the problems with SHARES that US does?

Seems it is not EDS, but incomptent management.

By the way I worked 7 years in an Italian Butcher Shop, you grind up pork shoulders or butts, add seasoning then put into a machine that cases the meat, nothing gross or nasty about making sausage.

What does this have to do with a thoroughly incompetent SHARES migration?

Still fouled up more than a year later.

Why was a major player in an unquestionable Customer Service screwup promoted?

Next request then, if you arent going to FIX this pos system we're working with (Tempe), then quit hammering us on all the things we have to "waive" to get bags checked when the system goes whack. If they are exempt from paying (military 2nd bag, stroller, carseat, wheelchair, Preferred, etc, etc) then we arent "waiving" any charges are we? They didnt "owe" them to begin with. Also when we "delete" a bagtag after we've "waived" the fee, it should go in and "unwaive" the charge on us so we dont take the hit for something we didnt "waive" in the first place. We just cant delete the tag until we charge or waive. Not really fair to give us something restricted like this and then say we arent doing our job and waiving too much. Doesnt really make for happy agents to be told we dont know what we're doing. :angry: :angry: :rant:

<SNIP>Take solice in knowing that almost every major company's IT dept has systems that are f#%ed up. You don't want to see how sausage is made or law is made in congress or how systems are developed in IT.

Then tell me why when US switched to SABRE, there was a few minor issues that were cleared up very quickly and AA had their agents helping out US at the major stations.

Why is SHARES not fixed after a year and half?

How come CO doesnt have the problems with SHARES that US does?

Seems it is not EDS, but incomptent management.

By the way I worked 7 years in an Italian Butcher Shop, you grind up pork shoulders or butts, add seasoning then put into a machine that cases the meat, nothing gross or nasty about making sausage.

Needles to say, it’s more like a big slab of scrapple being made at US.

Take solice in knowing that almost every major company's IT dept has systems that are f#%ed up. You don't want to see how sausage is made or law is made in congress or how systems are developed in IT. They take old antiquated systems and band-aid them with patches.

Or the opposite extreme: They spend millions to develop brand new systems without properly consulting with the end users, so that the systems become extremely cumbersome and virtually unusable when they are launched.

EDS is now at fault?

I'll give you credit for one thing. You are consistent. The Sandcastle Management Team is the biggest bunch of blame shifters that ever lived.

How is EDS at fault? They take orders from the afore mentioned in house talent?

SHARES is their product, and remind me just WHO picked them???? Could it be the BS (Blame Shifters) that passes for IT Management.

You have to accept the fact that hard work is often not enough, that sometimes the boss is wrong and needs to go. I've gotten all manner of excuses from people all the way up the pipe and it's always someone elses fault. Next you'll tell us it's the Jet Stream like Kirby did on the fuel stops. What a joke of a management team. To bad the computer system is a living monument to the high cost of cheap.

The EDS responses from shares are crappy. You start expecting one format for a command and they come along and change it.
Another reason, not enough people to do the job. Less people in the near future. Not going to get better.
The high cost of cheap and not knowing where to concentrate the changes. They are just interested in the changes the can generate money now. Quick fixes, not long term fixes because there may not be a long term. I don't blame management at all at this stage. I do blame them for not doing it when they had the time and money. I think this time in BK they won't rise out of it and bad management will get what they deserve.

The high cost of cheap and not knowing where to concentrate the changes. They are just interested in the changes the can generate money now. Quick fixes, not long term fixes because there may not be a long term.

Well, they arent generating the money they should be right now either. I'm still getting dinged for waiving 2 bags for someone going intl, yet the next person going to BUF with 2 bags doesnt get the excess baggage popup? (Computer knows best right?) Well, ticketed in May, nonrefundable, nonpreferred, should pay. Nope, no popup. I do the manual entry, but we've been told "QIK looks at the PNR and knows when to charge". How many people are getting away with not paying because "QIK KNOWS BEST?". Right. :blink:

Unfortunately, Bob that approach will not work. Reasons below:

1. Because the system is so "glitchy" the agent will not be able to prove--short of a screen print which the system is probably not capable of--that the system charged the elite and let Pa Kettle check 10 bags at no charge.
2. Even if the screen print is available, the IT people will insist that they have researched the problem, can not reproduce what the agent "claimed" happened; so, the only logical explanation is that the agent must have done something wrong and is just not willing to admit it.

LCC folk, did I get close? :lol:

And this is EDS' fault?

US/HP signed a contract with them and US knows what it has paid for (actually not paid for), so once again it comes back to US not properly getting what they need, not EDS' fault.

Unfortunately, Bob that approach will not work. Reasons below:

1. Because the system is so "glitchy" the agent will not be able to prove--short of a screen print which the system is probably not capable of--that the system charged the elite and let Pa Kettle check 10 bags at no charge.
2. Even if the screen print is available, the IT people will insist that they have researched the problem, can not reproduce what the agent "claimed" happened; so, the only logical explanation is that the agent must have done something wrong and is just not willing to admit it.

LCC folk, did I get close? :lol:

You pretty much nailed it!
As has been discussed before there are both SHARES problems (ex: no four segment bag tags) and QIK problems (ex: the GUI doing weird things) - put them together and you have a pile o' manure.

On another note...
From the UA/CO announcement: "But the pact goes "well beyond a traditional codeshare agreement," UA Chairman, President and CEO Glenn Tilton said. It will include "significant cooperation" on frequent-flier programs, airport lounges, facility utilization, information technology and procurement, the carriers said."

UA is planning to switch to Amadeus (no time line that I know of); I wonder if CO will join them.

I havent really noticed a lot of reassigned seats, but I have noticed that a lot of online bookings do not get seats reserved or the seats they've requested. Not sure if its them or us or a combination, but it seems that we might not be assigning to at least certain websites. CheapoAir and Cheap Tickets are two that I have never seen with a seat reserved. I havent ever booked thru them either so I dont know what their policy states, although I did read a Travelocity printout yesterday that stated seats arent guaranteed.

Has anyone run across this idiocy from QIK??

I had a denied boarding......80 year old woman in a wchr......to PHX....my supervisor overbooked her on the 4:00...there were at least 5 seats in the seat map...so I quick checked her in and voila this POS puts her on the standby list as a??????? rev sb....I think my head spun around on that one......not only was she hk but there were seats in the map??????

I had to call the no help desk .....I asked them why why why....no answer

I asked a mgr who is formerlly AWA.....???? no answer...glitch in the system

These glitches are really sending me over the edge....1 year and a half later and it still does stuff like this on a daily basis

It took me 1 hour to reaccomadate 5 pax...ridiculous !!! with sabre it would have taken half the time.....I give up

Still unable to reissue a paper ticket from a paper ticket data base, to calculate flown and unflown segments. TIPs will only process E-ticket to E-ticket reissues. International ticketing/reissues can be especially frustrating for this reason.