South America

Turnkey? Fragmentation? DL is in BK and they can and will get the green light to void any portion of the contract (including frag) necessary to cut a deal. The airplanes would be returned to lessors and the route authority would be transferred separately. Who in their right minds thinks ALPA can do anything but look on during BK.

The DL pilots better practice their walkout again! That photo was priceless!!

Since the east side took over the PHX-CUN-PHX routes with an airbus are they eow cert. or do they have to go the longer route ?

USA320Pilot,

this sounds interesting, however, in direct contradiction to what Delta management have said how they'll turn around their operation.

Last time I checked, Delta was in Chapter 11. Management doesn't get final say in anything. They get to propose to the judge (the creditors' referee) who presents the plan to the creditors. And the creditors get to say how things transpire.

NOTHING of any import gets decided without the creditors on board. Delta management lost 99% of their major-decision-making power when they filed Chapter 11.

Believe me when I tell you that you have NO IDEA what Delta will look like post-bankruptcy until after it has been decided. I've been there twice in the last few years, and USAirways was given up for dead more times than I can count. And I was convinced of that outcome myself.

Since the east side took over the PHX-CUN-PHX routes with an airbus are they eow cert. or do they have to go the longer route ?

If it's a 320, or an EOW-equipped 319, they can go up to 162NM offshore. If the crews are CLT, PHL or (I think) BOS, they can go more than 162NM offshore with EOW airplanes.

Management still calls the shots, US got everything they wanted from the Judge and the Creditors.

The creditors dont run the day to day operations of the airline, only approve the POR.

Just look at US for an example.

Last time I checked, Delta was in Chapter 11. Management doesn't get final say in anything. They get to propose to the judge (the creditors' referee) who presents the plan to the creditors. And the creditors get to say how things transpire.

NOTHING of any import gets decided without the creditors on board. Delta management lost 99% of their major-decision-making power when they filed Chapter 11.

Believe me when I tell you that you have NO IDEA what Delta will look like post-bankruptcy until after it has been decided. I've been there twice in the last few years, and USAirways was given up for dead more times than I can count. And I was convinced of that outcome myself.
If it's a 320, or an EOW-equipped 319, they can go up to 162NM offshore. If the crews are CLT, PHL or (I think) BOS, they can go more than 162NM offshore with EOW airplanes.

Actually, a non EOW A319, and any A321 can go up to 162NM offshore. EOW A319's and any A320 can exceed the 162NM. We are talking "East Metal" here.

With one or two exceptions all the current Caribbean/Latin America destinations can be flown from the East Hubs/Focus Cities using the 162NM/Non EOW aircraft. It takes more time and fuel, however some days the best option for enroute weather.

Flights operating greater than 162NM from shore South of 35 degrees latitude or 100NM North of 35 degrees latitude (water temp for ditching) are considered Oceanic Operatons.A320 PHL, CLT, BOS, and any A330 or B767 International pilots are approved to operate in Oceanic Airspace.

A320 PIT, DCA, LGA, B767 Domestic and B737's must remain within 162NM and are considered Non-Oceanic operations.

The EMB 190's are going to be ETOPS.

Not EOW, ETOPS. Look out Shannon and Dublin.

Also:

Do not be surprised if US Airways obtains a small part of Northwest which could include route authority to four cities including Bejing, and Tokyo. The potential transaction could include equipment (I'm much too cool to say airplanes) and some pilots to provide a turnkey operation.

Best regards (I'm very cool to say something like that)

USA330Pilot

This just in:

Look for US to buy the Space Shuttle from NASA with Pilots for a turnkey operation and operate passenger flights to the International Space Station.

You know, WT, nothing in the OP (or in the entire thread, for that matter) involves any discussion of a hostile takeover of DL. The OP's outlandish rumour is that DL will agree to sell its S American Operations on a turn-key basis.

Which simply means that DL is free to sell or retain any assets. Since there is no indication DL has any intention of selling some of its best routes (even if the US-Brazil treaty allowed US to provide the proposed service), then this thread is obviously rubbish.

Any industry watcher realizes that DL looked at US' Caribbean expansion from CLT and said, "we can do that better" and they have. It' not going to work in reverse regarding S. America. CLT is much smaller and PHL doesn't serve enough of the country to be viable. PIT, anyone?

Which simply means that DL is free to sell or retain any assets. Since there is no indication DL has any intention of selling some of its best routes (even if the US-Brazil treaty allowed US to provide the proposed service), then this thread is obviously rubbish.

Any industry watcher realizes that DL looked at US' Caribbean expansion from CLT and said, "we can do that better" and they have. It' not going to work in reverse regarding S. America. CLT is much smaller and PHL doesn't serve enough of the country to be viable. PIT, anyone?
The Caribbean gateways for US from BOS, PHL, DCA, LGA & PIT are IMHO more of a viable option for east coast travelers than DLs JFK & ATL operation. CVG, anyone?

CLT is much smaller and PHL doesn't serve enough of the country to be viable. PIT, anyone?

Pit at its peak actually has, or had, a little more originating traffic than CLT does now. Somehow I just don't see either matching the market the city of ATL provides to just about any airline willing to hub it. In today's world of merger surprises, CLT could find itself being the next PIT in terms of downsize. But I know nothing, just specualtion.

Take care WT, Greeter.

Pit at its peak actually has, or had, a little more originating traffic than CLT does now.

As an FYI, it has more O&D traffic than it ever did when there was a hub, and still outpaces CLT in that department.

Neither of them are even close to ATL in O&D, however.

Back