USAirways to Take Over DL South America Routes!

Delta still has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel financially
Now now Bob, haven't you been paying attention to WT's posts?

DL is in GREAT SHAPE, positioned to take over the world, just as soon as the pesky exit plan is approved. They didn't have to file Ch.11. Rather, the whole insolvency / BK thing is just a deliberate part of the strategic plan.

It's obvious that some poor UA employees are just not good losers, now are they?

DL has done more in one year of bankruptcy than UA did in three years and hundreds of millions of dollars more.

I don't think UA has reported an 8% operating margin in any quarter since 2000 (when the pilots decided to wring the golden goose's neck).

DL may or may not buy UA's Asian routes but they will certainly have the financial wherewithall to do it. If DL is in such pitiful financial shape why have its creditors allowed it to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to refurbish planes and facilities and sign leases for new planes? UA can't even lease more planes and it's out of bankruptcy! Talk about keeping the dog on a short leash!

DL may or may not buy UA's Asian routes but they will certainly have the financial wherewithall to do it. If DL is in such pitiful financial shape why have its creditors allowed it to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to refurbish planes and facilities and sign leases for new planes? UA can't even lease more planes and it's out of bankruptcy! Talk about keeping the dog on a short leash!

Isn't there something pitifully wrong about declaring your company a financial juggernaut both while in BK and because of it? Anybody should be able to get rich by screwing folks.

It's obvious that some poor UA employees are just not good losers, now are they?

WT,

I just read in the paper a story about a DL F/A and her husband that were busted for Marijuana trafficking and money laundering. She was arrested after her return to the states from a Europe trip and both pleaded guilty yesterday in court. Sorry to hear that times are so difficult that the DL employees have to resort to this type of financial arrangement. They should have been better losers like those of us at UAL, instead of getting involved in an illegal operation.

I will not post the article but her initials were BW and she was ATL based. I am sure the DL folks know who she is by now. The sentencing said it would be at max 80 months. So there might be a chance that she will be back trafficking soon.

DL may or may not buy UA's Asian routes but they will certainly have the financial wherewithall to do it.
Hmmm . . . DL didn't have the financial wherewithall to avoid BK, and apparently doesn't have the financial wherewithall to get out of it anytime soon (haven't they been mired in Ch.11 for like almost a WHOLE YEAR now? :shock: And didn't they have to ask for an extension, and it looks like it will be at LEAST many more months until exit . . .), yet they will have the financial wherewithall to take over the most lucrative routes on the planet.

Okey-dokey!

This thread is about a ridiculous rumor that has no validity because DL is using the assets it has to generate at least industry average. If there is nothing to say about this ridiculous rumor, then let this thread die. No one sells assets when they are making money and have adequate cash on hand unless the assets are not strategically necessary; for DL, S. America is strategically necessary.

Coca-Cola just employees who tried to sell trade secrets to Pepsi so does that make them underpaid? American and Eastern before it have constantly had employees involved in drug trafficking schemes. The reality is, and you know it, that the human heart has the capacity to be desperately evil regardless of how much one has. The comfortable and well-to-do have been convicted of crimes of every kind; money currently in the pocket has nothing to do with it.

I’ve never said that DL will acquire UA’s assets tomorrow or even next year. However, DL is turning itself around faster than any other airline in aviation history. DL WILL be in a position to participate in industry consolidation because it is doing what it is supposed to do in bankruptcy and doing it very well. The AA people are the only ones that are in a position to crow about not being in BK but they still have high debt levels and the highest labor related unit costs in the industry and are missing some of the key industry assets which DL is also missing. So I’m not sure who is necessarily in a better position since DL and AA managed to report almost identical operating profit margins in the latest quarter.

I have said that UA is doing absolutely nothing to protect its own future and that of its employees. If you want me to get off my incessant ranting about UA, then I’d suggest that those of who work for UA pour your energy into turning your company around. All you have to do is to take the routes which you tout as so great (and they are), use the three years of bankruptcy and the hundreds of millions of dollars in it, and create a winning company. That should really not be so difficult, now should it? So JUST DO IT!

This thread is about a ridiculous rumor that has no validity because DL is using the assets it has to generate at least industry average. If there is nothing to say about this ridiculous rumor, then let this thread die. No one sells assets when they are making money and have adequate cash on hand unless the assets are not strategically necessary; for DL, S. America is strategically necessary.
Exactly!!!! So why would they sell the BEST routes (Asia) to an insolvent company as YOURS? I just heard that it looks as if United will be getting the IAD/Bejing authority too. That must really irk you that Delta isn't even a consideration in the Asian playing field.

Well, I'm busy doing my October bids....Oh look! KWI and NRT layovers for us next month. That sounds fun. Does Delta fly there? I wonder.

**** there is no way we should let this thread die. I wonder which aircraft US plans to take from DL in the acquisition of the S. American routes.

I have said that UA is doing absolutely nothing to protect its own future and that of its employees. If you want me to get off my incessant ranting about UA, then I’d suggest that those of who work for UA pour your energy into turning your company around. All you have to do is to take the routes which you tout as so great (and they are), use the three years of bankruptcy and the hundreds of millions of dollars in it, and create a winning company. That should really not be so difficult, now should it? So JUST DO IT!

You act as if UA is posting massive losses. You do realize that UA is posting PROFITS? The margins may not be quite as large as some carriers, but UA is posting some nice profits.

You act as if UA is doing nothing, however the company continues to cut costs, continues to grow its hubs by adding new domestic/international flights and continues to grow by further increasing utilization of its existing fleet.

True, UA isn't lobbing half of its fleet at marginal European routes (that will be axed the moment the economy hiccups), but UA continues to improve.

Too funny.

Between USA320pilot, WT, and fish (I wonder whatever happened to it?), USAviation sure is a funny place sometimes.

I agree. Coincidentally, Mr Fishy showed up yesterday in the AA forum, after a lengthy respite.

WT,

I just read in the paper a story about a DL F/A and her husband that were busted for Marijuana trafficking and money laundering. She was arrested after her return to the states from a Europe trip and both pleaded guilty yesterday in court. Sorry to hear that times are so difficult that the DL employees have to resort to this type of financial arrangement. They should have been better losers like those of us at UAL, instead of getting involved in an illegal operation.

I will not post the article but her initials were BW and she was ATL based. I am sure the DL folks know who she is by now. The sentencing said it would be at max 80 months. So there might be a chance that she will be back trafficking soon.
She is CVG based and have flown with her many times. Didn't see that one coming!

She is CVG based and have flown with her many times. Didn't see that one coming!

Just happen to know someone that commutes from her city. They said she was ATL based but CVG makes sense. Sounds like the whole family was involved. The article that was emailed had their confessions and a request that friends send the judge letters to give them a lenient sentence. Amazing that only when caught do people confess their crimes. They never have a guilty conscious and throw themselves on the court before the jig is up.

Stupid question but why, if there is a detailed article about this woman, is there such secrecy on these boards about her identity. If it has been released to the public, why beat around the bush? I don't care if I know the name or not b/c I'm sure I don't know her but it is interesting to me that everybody that has mentioned it on these boards is masking what apparently has already been made public. Am I missing something? :huh:

So now that it appears that DL could be dismembered in bankruptcy by US, UA and another airline, it's time to speculate on how that might work out. Here's my guess:

ATL -- Goes to UA. UA really could use a southeastern hub and US doesn't need one. Of the possible "third" airlines, none has a burning need for a hub in that region -- although ATL is a strong, growing market and a good facility.

JFK -- Goes to US. Although it is close to PHL, it would allow US to expand its European operation (and probably pull down a couple of marginal routes out of PHL) and create another northeastern connection point to ease chronically congested PHL. Plus, it gives them a viable hub to start real South American routes.

SLC -- Goes to AA. AA has tried to have a signficant hub west of DFW before, and SLC might actually work for them. It wouldn't be a huge operation, but it would fill a gap in AA's network.

CVG -- Dismantled. It could be a focus city for any of the 3 airlines, a la PIT or CLE.

As for the fleet, I'd imagine that AA would take the MD80s; UA would take the 777s, some 767s, most of the 757s; and US would take some 767s, some 757s, and the 737s.

All 3 airlines would gain by filling in holes in their systems and by reducing network carriers overhubbing (CVG) and overcapacity (by parking the MD90s and older 767s).

Back