Stay far far away from the teamsters

Question: Does anyone know if Southwest performs D checks (or Heavy C checks) in its three (soon to be four) lines at DAL? Or do they simply perform C checks? WN publicly says in its 10-K that heavy airframe overhauls are outsourced but many posts on this website seem to imply otherwise.
Southwest does Y checks. The planes will be in there for 12 days +, depending on which Y check and whatever other work is scheduled.

Dissent in the Palace, IBT Organizers Unionize

June 1, 2012: Organizers employed by the International union have voted to unionize, in order to bargain with the Hoffa administration. On May 29 the vote count was 18-16 in favor of FAIR, the Federation of Agents and International Representatives.

Hoffa operatives fought hard against the unionization effort. They refused a request to remain neutral or agree to card-check. They held one-on-one meetings and issued nasty warnings that those in favor of unionizing were disloyal and would not be welcomed by Teamster locals during organizing drives.

There has been a lot of dissent among organizers and other IBT staff regarding favoritism, pay disparity and complaints about political hacks being promoted, so the unionization is the result. The organizers expect their union to be certified soon, and hope that the Hoffa administration will meet and bargain.

Reactions: 1 person

June 1, 2012: Organizers employed by the International union have voted to unionize, in order to bargain with the Hoffa administration. On May 29 the vote count was 18-16 in favor of FAIR, the Federation of Agents and International Representatives.

Hoffa operatives fought hard against the unionization effort. They refused a request to remain neutral or agree to card-check. They held one-on-one meetings and issued nasty warnings that those in favor of unionizing were disloyal and would not be welcomed by Teamster locals during organizing drives.

There has been a lot of dissent among organizers and other IBT staff regarding favoritism, pay disparity and complaints about political hacks being promoted, so the unionization is the result. The organizers expect their union to be certified soon, and hope that the Hoffa administration will meet and bargain.

Hey, it's just "business"... :lol:
B) xUT

Hoffa Moves Toward Trusteeship in Newest Teamster Local

March 15, 2012: The Hoffa administration is on the fast track toward trusteeship in Local 2010, the statewide local of clerical and allied services Teamsters at the University of California. Formerly called CUE—the Coalition of University Employees—the 14,000-strong bargaining unit affiliated with the Teamsters in 2010 (thus the name Local 2010).
As Teamster Voice goes to press, no official decision on the trusteeship has been made, but the writing is on the wall. An official trusteeship hearing will start on March 17.

New Directions, a grassroots caucus of Local 2010 members, has called for the Hoffa administration to schedule an election within 100 days of any trusteeship.

Frustration is running high in Local 2010. Like public employees everywhere, Local 2010 members see their wages and working conditions under attack by the university.

Members have been kept in the dark for years, with officers operating in a shroud of secrecy. Some officers were elected back in 2008, others have simply been appointed.

Elections were promised repeatedly. Members were first told that bylaws had to be adopted. The next excuse was finishing bargaining with the university, which finally wrapped up (except for continuing negotiations at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) last November. Again elections were promised, and postponed.

International Vice President Rome Aloise held a closed meeting with the Executive Board where he encouraged the board to request that the local be put into trusteeship.

Out of a potential membership of 14,000, just 3,800 belong to Local 2010. The rest pay an agency fee equal to 95 percent of dues.

New Directions has proposed an end to keeping the members in the dark, and revealing the results of a financial audit of their local union.

"If a trusteeship is imposed, it should be temporary and for the purpose of preparing a transition, not to further delay the election that we were promised would be held in 2011," New Directions said in a statement to Local 2010 members.
"After the election, the trusteeship should be lifted and the International Union representatives can continue to work with new leaders democratically chosen by the members to implement the changes in CUE. We welcome assistance from the International Union, but we don't want changes imposed by a trustee appointed from Washington, D.C.," the statement said.

Very misleading

WN - work was farmed out from day one. IBT never gave anything up as you say. AMFA did however allow 4 lines to be outsourced to El Salvador without a fight.

UPS - again never had heavy overhaul

CAL - farmed everything out back in 1983 and then CAL farmed everything out before the IBT. The IBT actually was involved in bringing all 737 and now 757 work back in house.

UAL - IBT came in after all the airframe work was farmed out, much if it on AMFA's watch.

Frontier - BK is a b&%ch ain't it? NW and UA found that out. Now we will too.

Horizon is a sad story.

AMFA lost 90% of their members in less than a decade. With AMFA you will have nothing.

"CAL - farmed everything out back in 1983 and then CAL farmed everything out before the IBT. The IBT actually was involved in bringing all 737 and now 757 work back in house."

Now YOU'RE the one misleading....
CAL had DC9/MD80 cks in house (HOU)as well as most 73 & 72 lines (DEN), (DC10/A300 LAX)when I was there. And the Reamsters were not around then.
They do currently a few of there 73, 75 hvy lines now.

Your union (the TWU) said last year that CO contracts out its heavy airframe overhaul to Hong Kong (widebodies) and other outsourced domestic locations (single-aisle). Engine overhauls are performed in Spain and other outsourced domestic locations (CO has power-by-the-hour agreements on many of its engines) and other components are outsourced to France and other domestic outsourced locations. There is a chart on page 8 of the .pdf linked below:

http://www.twu562.or...arch 3-2011.pdf

CO employed about 4,000 mechanics and related when it merged with UA.

The chart on page 8 refers to where the work is performed, not whether or not it is outsourced. The report is correct in that the issue being raised is not outsourcing in itself but how is the work being overseen.

The FAA does not inspect overseas outsourcers like they do in the US. All AMTs in the US know this. Please read the report in context, you don't want to cherry pick fact like Bob and Dave. Your better than that.

"CAL - farmed everything out back in 1983 and then CAL farmed everything out before the IBT. The IBT actually was involved in bringing all 737 and now 757 work back in house."

Now YOU'RE the one misleading....
CAL had DC9/MD80 cks in house (HOU)as well as most 73 & 72 lines (DEN), (DC10/A300 LAX)when I was there. And the Reamsters were not around then.
They do currently a few of there 73, 75 hvy lines now.
In 1994 CO closed down almost all overhaul under Brenneman. DEN was closed then LAX leaving only HOU. Then the IBT came in and work has been progressively coming back in-house ever since. Again, know your facts before you chime in.

http://articles.lati...nental-airlines

The airline also closed a maintenance facility in Denver on Monday, eliminating 140 jobs there.

Continental said it plans to shift the bases' work to outside contractors, saving about $30 million a year. Many of those contractors will be located in the East, where the airline's routes have increasingly shifted during the past year.

The chart on page 8 refers to where the work is performed, not whether or not it is outsourced. The report is correct in that the issue being raised is not outsourcing in itself but how is the work being overseen.

The FAA does not inspect overseas outsourcers like they do in the US. All AMTs in the US know this. Please read the report in context, you don't want to cherry pick fact like Bob and Dave. Your better than that.

Maybe all A&P mechanics are aware, but not all AMT's.
I would say that no even every A&P knows it.

I'm thoroughly confused. You claimed that CO performs heavy airframe overhaul inhouse. Some individuals here have refuted that claim (Whoop Whoop). Your own union has disclosed that CO's widebodies are overhauled at HKG (at HAECO - I've seen them there) and that CO's single-aisle planes are overhauled at "Outsourced Domestic" locations. The TWU report confirms that CO performs no heavy overhaul inhouse, contrary to your ealier claim.

I understand that the purpose of the TWU report I cited was not to prove whether particular airlines outsource their heavy maintenance (and engines and components) but the reality is that in stating "where the work is performed," the TWU shows which airlines outsource their heavy overhaul.

Yes, the all-knowing, omnipotent FAA does not perform the same level of inspections of overseas chop shops as are performed here in the US. Face it - nobody cares. Other than airline mechanics, that is. Pilots, FAs, agents, executives, and the public at large - they simply don't care. The employees of every other airline willingly get on the planes that were overhauled in Indy, Alabama, San Salvador or China.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm thoroughly confused. You claimed that CO performs heavy airframe overhaul inhouse. Some individuals here have refuted that claim (Whoop Whoop). Your own union has disclosed that CO's widebodies are overhauled at HKG (at HAECO - I've seen them there) and that CO's single-aisle planes are overhauled at "Outsourced Domestic" locations. The TWU report confirms that CO performs no heavy overhaul inhouse, contrary to your ealier claim.

That's a fact unless C'checks are considered HMV. CO hasn't performed HMV in "YEARS"!

Yes, the all-knowing, omnipotent FAA does not perform the same level of inspections of overseas chop shops as are performed here in the US. Face it - nobody cares. Other than airline mechanics, that is. Pilots, FAs, agents, executives, and the public at large - they simply don't care. The employees of every other airline willingly get on the planes that were overhauled in Indy, Alabama, San Salvador or China.

They don't call it the 'tombstone agency' for nothing.

What is really unfair is when "US" airlines are in distress (strike, BK, etc...) the FAA sends a bevy of inspectors to the airline.

No one cares until there are several smoking holes. Since that hasn't happened, then all is good.

Personally, I hate to fly anymore. Between the outsourcing, TSA grope, cramped cabins, pissed off employees, etc...
I'll drive when I can.

JMHO,
B) xUT

I understand that the purpose of the TWU report I cited was not to prove whether particular airlines outsource their heavy maintenance (and engines and components) but the reality is that in stating "where the work is performed," the TWU shows which airlines outsource their heavy overhaul.

Don't be confused. The report cites the geographic area the work is done. Yes wide bodies are done outside. CO does the 2C/4C/6C/8C and mods on the 737-7/8/9 in HOU and MCO, 2C/4C/6C/8C and mods on the 757-2/3 and the 737-7/8/9 in IAH. They have been for many years. I have a contact with IBT and he confirmed this and they are expanding their work. I believe the 8C is the HMV that has been noted as being the "heavy". Outsourced domestic is true however diminishing on the NB at the time of the UA/CO merger. The IBT rep at CO stated that they should have all the 757s in-house however the UA/CO link up may change that.

Yep, no one cares except those if us who are losing our jobs to those "chop shops".

In 1994 CO closed down almost all overhaul under Brenneman. DEN was closed then LAX leaving only HOU. Then the IBT came in and work has been progressively coming back in-house ever since. Again, know your facts before you chime in.

http://articles.lati...nental-airlines

The airline also closed a maintenance facility in Denver on Monday, eliminating 140 jobs there.

Continental said it plans to shift the bases' work to outside contractors, saving about $30 million a year. Many of those contractors will be located in the East, where the airline's routes have increasingly shifted during the past year.

I DO know the facts there ace.... I wkd there 88-92.
And during my tenure at CO (esp in 88-90)they did hvys on DC9/MD80s in HOU clear up to when they retired them, as well as 72s in ELP, and 73s & 72s in DEN before pulling the plug.
YOU are the one that stated "they outsourced everything before the Reamsters was present". Which is not true. Period. I don't care what the damn article states, I was there.

Reactions: 2 people