Teamster are for DOH in integration

Chello

For most of the UAL mechanics DOH and OCC/class are the same date as he said.

It was ruled by kasher that the TWA got what they got. They will not get the TWA DOH seniority date if we go to the IBT. They were IAM at TWA. Just like I won't get my EAL DOH date if we end up with the IAM.

The idea that anyone who was hired in at any company that was IBT on the ramp then spends 10 yrs in that class and craft, then gets his A&P works for a few yrs then gets laid off out of Title I aircraft maintenance. will get recalled back to work by his DOH before a title I mechanic with less company time who always has been a mechanic is Just CRAZY. A 15 yr title I mechanic will be brought back before the 3 yr occupational guy, no matter what company time. If that is NOT the CASE and the IBT does it by DOH no matter what,
THEN that is just the reason NOT to bring the IBT here to AA.

Maybe Anomaly is an X-TWA, and the teamsters are telling him exactly what he wants to hear. This is the norm for the teamsters...

Reactions: 2 people
I believe we should follow the example set at the SWA/AT intergration, where both sides appoint a committee and negotiated a seniority agreement then let both sides vote on it seperately if the majority on both sides agree then we go with if not we keep negotiating until we reach terms both sides can live with. Is it perfect no but it will most likely bring a agreement we both can live with unlike what the TWU did to TWA. Or the mess that is currently going on at UAL where the IBT represented both sides and nearly 3 years in still do not have a agreement.

The agreement at SWA just shows when you let the members have a say it gets done and when you have a dictatorship like with the TWU, IAM & Teamsters it gets screwed up.

And that would be following the law. Gather what both sides want, compare the two sides suggestions, and nego with both sides moving towards a fair and equitable agreement that both sides can vote for. If one side starts to play hard ball and quit moving, then start removing perks and anything else. I would highly recomend AA and US to do the same as SWA and AT did. AA and US really has nothing to offer to the other as far as gains to the mechanics when merged. In our case of course we had pay, bennies, retirement, and best of all job security etc... AA and US has none of this (to the extent that SWA had over AT) therefore, I think that AA and US will end up merging with DOH or classification start date, no matter who the representing union is, however, you guys can nego whatever you want to as long as both sides vote it in. And yes, it could very well be nego that the TWA guys get their senoirity back that was stripped from them by the TWU, after all there was a law made directly do to the TWU back stabbing the TWA guys, I think it might be sweet justice to see the TWA guys get their senoirity back. Once again, anything can be nego. Good luck guys.

Your response is the fairytale.

I don't dispute the concent decree, but your attempt to play the UAL-CAL SLI off as cut and dried imposed by the courts is completely disingenuous. The teamsters driven by the sCAL side were pushing to go back to court to try and remove the concent decree.

If you like I can post a few links to the seniority integration committee reports, or perhaps you'd like to discuss the purpose of the seniority integration survey that the ibt floated at UAL/CAL fiasco that that turned out to be.

While we, minus any last minute sCAL heroics, will end up on a concent decree formed list, AS OF THIS MOMENT, no final list has been finalized

http://www.teamster....february-9-2013

Hence the issue is not resolved, and as been posted here and other threads the teamsters have been arguing this issue for years now at UAL.

What I don't get is why the court system is even entertaining the teamsters request to try and make change when the new law very spacifically states that when your 2 airlines have the same union you must integrate as that unions contract says to. If there is no such language then you must nego a fair and equitable SLI. So why is the court system wasting their time with this crap.
I think the teamsters are still holding a grudge since AMFA made them look so bad during the SWA/AT integration nego's...

What I don't get is why the court system is even entertaining the teamsters request to try and make change when the new law very spacifically states that when your 2 airlines have the same union you must integrate as that unions contract says to. If there is no such language then you must nego a fair and equitable SLI. So why is the court system wasting their time with this crap.
I think the teamsters are still holding a grudge since AMFA made them look so bad during the SWA/AT integration nego's...

The truth is that the Teamsters know that the intergration protects them from anyone starting a drive to remove them from the property because no one wants to risk being giving the short end of the stick if their group is the one who starts the revolt so they drag it out to serve their own self interest.

From my last post until the intergration is done neither side dare make a move think about it.

The truth is that the Teamsters know that the intergration protects them from anyone starting a drive to remove them from the property because no one wants to risk being giving the short end of the stick if their group is the one who starts the revolt so they drag it out to serve their own self interest.

From my last post until the intergration is done neither side dare make a move think about it.

Self serving teamsters at work. No worries, AMFA will be back at UAL, the teamsters can only postpone for so long, plus we should thank them maybe so AMFA can focuss on the AA'ers drive.

As of now it isn't being entertained in the courts.

After the ibt kept dragging the subject out then finally came out and said the concent decree is it ie; DOH even though we still don't have a finalized list, many sCAL mechanics were upset as sUAL mechanics are senior in that regard by about 2 to 1.

There were threats on the sCAL side to try and take the matter back to court, one local even hired independent legal council to review the situation, but as of now those threats have yet to materialize.

The ibt is in a tight spot with the SLI as they risk angering the sCAL mechanics even further adding fuel to push for their decertification.

i really dont see why it would matter to anyone if twa guys got their seniority back. i havent check the seniority roster lately but i would guess there is probly less than 300 twa amts left on payroll. and most of them are in stl.

Ask if the ibt so great, why is UA laying off mechanics and they are going to the street and why CO is hiring off the street?

Ask if the ibt so great, why is UA laying off mechanics and they are going to the street and why CO is hiring off the street?

Correction

While there was a large layoff under the ibt during their first year on the property, we have no layoffs in progress at present.

That said, UAL does still have a rather large furlough list and CAL is indeed hiring off the street.

Reactions: 1 person
Really? The IBT is for DOH for seniority integration? Why hasn't the IBT made that same commitment to the pre-merger Continental Mechanics? The IBT has no policy on seniority integration and will do whatever is politically expedient for the to do so. Please read the below article that evidences the IBT's seniority integration history. It is truly sad.

Midwest flight attendants win appeal in seniority case

11/30/2011

Nov 30 (Reuters) - Republic Airlines and its Teamsters union unlawfully deprived hundreds of former Midwest Airlines flight attendants of their job seniority when the two airlines merged, a federal appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals found that Republic failed to honor the Midwest flight attendants' seniority rights when it purchased the airline's parent company Midwest Air Group in 2009. Federal law requires airlines to integrate employees' seniority when two carriers merge.
The Midwest flight attendants sued Republic and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters in 2010, accusing the airline and its union of forcing hundreds of Midwest flight attendants into prolonged unemployment.

While Republic integrated the seniority lists for Midwest mechanics, baggage handlers and administrative employees, the company furloughed the flight attendants, requiring them to apply for new jobs with Republic. If they were hired, they came on at the bottom of the seniority roster, according to the court opinion.

The Midwest flight attendants sued under the McCaskill-Bond Amendment to the Federal Aviation Act, which requires air carriers to merge their employee seniority lists when they combine.

Republic and the Teamsters argued that the transaction was not a merger. Instead of acquiring an air carrier, Republic had rather acquired some assets related to air transportation, they argued. Soon after the purchase, Republic returned Midwest's nine leased planes to Boeing and abandoned Midwest's flying certificate from federal regulators. Republic did, however, take over Midwest's air routes.

The district court ruled in favor of Republic and the Teamsters, concluding that the federal law was never meant to protect the employees of an air carrier that "simply goes out of business." But the 7th Circuit disagreed.

"One cannot remove bankrupt and soon-to-disappear carriers from the statute's coverage, as the Teamsters propose, without simultaneously circumventing the statutory text and frustrating the design behind it," Judge Frank Easterbrook wrote for the three-judge panel. The court noted that the federal law requiring seniority integration itself grew out of American Airlines' acquisition of Trans World Airlines, which was bankrupt and on the brink of closing down.

Marianne Robbins, a lawyer for Republic and the Teamsters, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Republic and the Teamsters' Airline Division did not immediately return calls for comment.

Edward Gilmartin, General Counsel for the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA and a lawyer for the Midwest flight attendants, said the 7th Circuit was the first appellate court to address the issue. The court "firmly established that once two carriers merge, there must be a fair and equitable seniority integration for the workers," he said.

Most of the four-hundred Midwest flight attendants were furloughed without pay, Gilmartin said. Some, with decades of experience, took jobs at Republic as new hires.

The case is Committee of Concerned Midwest Flight Attendants for Fair and Equitable Seniority Integration et al v. International Brotherhood of Teamsters Airline Division et al, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, No. 11-1921.

Reactions: 1 person
This could be interesting if they go by DOH. There are quite a few guys with a couple of years in aircraft or facilities and ten-twenty years in fleet.

I doubt they will use doh as both airlines already have a form of classification date. I worked at pan am where we only had one date and it sucked when a fsc with 25 years on ramp could bump a mech out with 24. The company would be shooting themselves in the foot with such a backward system like that.

This could be interesting if they go by DOH. There are quite a few guys with a couple of years in aircraft or facilities and ten-twenty years in fleet.

Here at AA we don't have one seniority list so DOH will not be used. Even if we switch to AMFA/IAM/IBT the current contract remains intact we at AA have seperate work classifications. We out number the voting group at USAir. Even the IAM and the IBT both have a classification date, we here at AA call it occupational its the same thing. Any merger of the companies will be done with Class/occupational date.

So to end this A FSC with 25 yrs will not be able to bump an A/C mech. even if he gets his A&P.
A A/C with 5 yrs will not be able to bump a Facilities/plant maint. mechanic. (unless he had previous time in that group ) It just doesn't work that way here at AA.

Under the IAM contract a mechanic classification includes all mechanics. Aircraft, Plant Maintenance and GSE all fall under the same seniority list. Several Line/Heavy Mechanics were forced to take Plant Mtc, GSE jobs at Assigned Station's before being furloughed even though they had never worked in that department. Mechanics could not bump Stores or Utility however unless they had time in that classification. There is no bumping to a higher classification. I'm also surprised the TWA Mechanics haven't reopened their seniority ruling base on the McCaskill Bond Agreement. It might very well be addressed with this merger.

There is nothing for the former TWA mechanics to open, it went to arbitration and thats how it went and MB isnt retroactive.