Letter To The Membership

per the IAM the interior crew would be out the door they do not have non licenced mechanics. so I don't think that would be a pay raise!
and your point??
no license no right to hold the position.
you want to work on a/c get a license....that simple.
many mechanics in our machine shop had opportunities to get licenses for a long time.....day the reaper came they had lots of seniority but no licenses..alas they went out the door..like it?? not really,but its a cold hard fact of employment.
you're going to see these things go when integration comes together.....

Some of the interior crew at U/West hold A-lic ,A&P-lic and some have a Repairmans Certificate this to is a form of FAA lic. that lets them work of the interior of the A/C not on the engines. There not just off the street with no knowage of A/C Some of thoughs with repairmans are going to school to get there A&P's. All of them are working to better them selfs. There are A/Ps I wouldn't trust with a drill around an A/C.

The question is are they paid less then the AMTs?

At US all mechanics are paid the same rate of pay, unlike you guys at HP.

And that's why your airline failed.

Boy are you confused.

Please explain to me exactly how paying all the mechanics the same pay rate made US Airways go into bankruptcy twice?

And just facts Bob.

:shock: Oh is that so I see in your IAM agreement Dated 1/7/05 that you have about 9 different pay scales, not counting the steps. Pay by classification.

What is the point your tring to make? :unsure:

And that's why your airline failed. Can anyone here present a realistic argument that working on an interior requires the same experience and skill set as repair and maintenance of critical components like engines and avionics?
hey bob...stick to your world please......
hows about guy working interior's has trouble installing a galley unit...holes in the floor don't align....drills new ones/reams old ones but didn't know there were wire bundles for the flight control computing equipment under there and all onboard make the 6 o'clock news?
guy putting in wall panels or ceiling panels,accidentally cuts or weakens critical structural members and at altitude the upper portion of the fuselage rips off??
get the pic?
oh sure some will say the same can happen to a certificated A/P and i wouldn't be suprised if it has....but they're supposed to know the difference. thats why they sat in school for some 2080 hours per faa.

per the IAM the interior crew would be out the door they do not have non licenced mechanics. so I don't think that would be a pay raise!
tha last time I checked working on seats is not the same as engines.
well check again my friend as there's all kind of FAA reg's and procedures regarding seats and such.....its in the FAR'S.... ;)
breakover's??
fire blocking?
O2 generating equipment??
for a certificated mechanic its all the same as engines because it all requires attention for the flying public's sake....

Actually all mechanics are not paid the same rate at usairways. Line mechanics make a buck more an hour than hangar mechanics and 2 bucks an hour more than gse mechanics.Just the facts please! Of course the skill pay and shift differential is all the same, That being ZERO! :( Yea I know we voted on it. Just like the second vote passed. :angry: Give me a break mr freightliner.

Your previous post contains no question.

When you have a culture that thinks it's perfectly OK to have people and business processes that cost to much and are otherwise inefficient you end up with high cost dinosaur. Mechs are but one tiny piece of the perverted puzzle that was US Airways. This includes 15 Million for executives that didn't deliver on their promises

And I still have not seen any facts from you how the mechanics at US caused it to file bankruptcy twice in less then two years.

Hey fella's US does have provisions for repairmen--they make mechanic base rate a huge raise for the america west folks.

The interior has critical areas as anyone would know who has airbus experiance. The cids systems for example, all covered by faa regs.

The cogent point here is that the teamsters have been at america west for nearly a decade and their contract is pityfull in many areas, not the least of which being SCOPE! as an example half the america west maint bases have no mechanic staff--it's all contracted. When their is sheet metal work at phx they call contrators. most heavy is out sourced.

If this is your idea of a good contract, any of those at Usairways who have half a brain would be glad to stand by their second vote and have the contract we do.

Would I trade this for a 45 cent pay raise---bite me--please don't be so ignorant.

T-Bone
Does this mean that you prefer to build up the scope clauses in the contracts in order to create or maintain a higher number of workers over the possibility of getting better wages and benefits in future contracts?
For example SW, UPS and FEDEX mechanics make a good salary and have good benefits, but outsource all the heayy mtc.

WN does not outsource all heavy mtc, they do some C-checks and some 1/4 D-Checks in-house, they do about 30% of heavy in-house.

You may be correct on that. My point to T-bone can use them as an example. During their last negotiations, the company was suggesting that it would be cost effective to bring more work in-house , but would have to trim down on the base wage increases and rather increase manpower. The membership voted to increase wages and maintain benefits and not bring in more work.
That may ultimately be what raises the base wages for mechanics at the combined US. It will probably not happen if we have to recall more mechanics to perform additional S checks as the overhead and support staff would increase also.
Just a thought on which direction to take. More members, less benefits and wages. Maintain or reduce work and remain at current scale increases as they come due, but not plan on future ones after 2009.