Teamsters Making Moves on American Mechanics

Would the AFL/CIO allow a vote?
They have no say in it. The IBT left the AFL-CIO and even if they hadnt the AFL-CIO is not an authoratative body over its member unions. Their primary mission is political lobbying.

Many people have the wrong idea about what exactly the AFL-CIO is, some feel that its the top of the labor movement, that its to the Internationals what the Internationals are to the Locals. Thats not so. While it provides a forum for unions to meet and work together towards common goals it doesnt set policy for its member unions.

The fact is its a very weak organization.

They have no say in it. The IBT left the AFL-CIO and even if they hadnt the AFL-CIO is not an authoratative body over its member unions. Their primary mission is political lobbying.

Many people have the wrong idea about what exactly the AFL-CIO is, some feel that its the top of the labor movement, that its to the Internationals what the Internationals are to the Locals. Thats not so. While it provides a forum for unions to meet and work together towards common goals it doesnt set policy for its member unions.

The fact is its a very weak organization.
<_< ------- I really shouldn't do this, but!---- A prime example of what Bob's saying was durring our merger/buyout. Both aa/TWU, and TWA/IAM were members of the AFL/CIO. When there was a internal dispute on one of the most important aspects of Unionisum, Seniority, the AFL/CIO turned it's back on it's membership! It clearly should have steped up to the plate on this one! It choose not to!------- :down:

<_< ------- I really shouldn't do this, but!---- A prime example of what Bob's saying was durring our merger/buyout. Both aa/TWU, and TWA/IAM were members of the AFL/CIO. When there was a internal dispute on one of the most important aspects of Unionisum, Seniority, the AFL/CIO turned it's back on it's membership! It clearly should have steped up to the plate on this one! It choose not to!------- :down:
Do we really want to go here again? ;) ;)

Actually I can agree with you about the AFL-CIO part, but you got to follow the money that iam got by not disputing it. They had more than enough cards and membership to file for an election but refused to, I wonder why? Don't forget they still have guys off the clock on iam union business and flying around on business passes. Bottom line, they got theirs.

Do we really want to go here again? ;) ;)

Actually I can agree with you about the AFL-CIO part, but you got to follow the money that iam got by not disputing it. They had more than enough cards and membership to file for an election but refused to, I wonder why? Don't forget they still have guys off the clock on iam union business and flying around on business passes. Bottom line, they got theirs.
<_< -----No AMFAMAN, I don't want to go there! And like yourself, will never know what really went on! Yes, the IAM is not blameless in this!---- I believe all exTWA people know that!!!---- :angry: My point is that this was clearly an AFL/CIO area of responsablity that they choose to walk away from!

<_< -----No AMFAMAN, I don't want to go there! And like yourself, will never know what really went on! Yes, the IAM is not blameless in this!---- I believe all exTWA people know that!!!---- :angry: My point is that this was clearly an AFL/CIO area of responsablity that they choose to walk away from!
I still recall the joint statement of Sonny Hall and Buffy on the day of the merger saying something like this; "after this merger, we will all know the benefits of belonging to the AFL-CIO." :shock: The real quote is on this site someplace.

<_< ---- No, I believe you could safely say that I don't have too much respect for the Mr. Sweeny and his AFL/CIO!---- :rant:

I’m glad you went there. I agree 110% with you.

Not only should have the AFL-CIO put there foot down on the issue but the TWU and the IAM should have also. We are union bothers in a fight against corporate America and all three of the above did exactly what corporate America is set out to do to us and that is divide and concur.

We have all paid our dues to this industry. It is not our fault that there are mergers (or whatever name you want to use). We as union members should not pay the price for corporate American bone head moves and all three of the above should have made sure it didn’t happen.

I believe the seniority list should been merged and let seniority rule.

I’m glad you went there. I agree 110% with you.

Not only should have the AFL-CIO put there foot down on the issue but the TWU and the IAM should have also. We are union bothers in a fight against corporate America and all three of the above did exactly what corporate America is set out to do to us and that is divide and concur.

We have all paid our dues to this industry. It is not our fault that there are mergers (or whatever name you want to use). We as union members should not pay the price for corporate American bone head moves and all three of the above should have made sure it didn’t happen.

I believe the seniority list should been merged and let seniority rule.
<_< ---- Unfortunately, you and I seem to be in the minority. What is really bad is now that aa/twu/iam/afl/cio has pulled this, it has set a precedence that has blown Seniority out of the water! Seniority no longer rules! :down: And someday it just might come back to bit them in the tail feathers!!!!----- ;)

<_< ---- Unfortunately, you and I seem to be in the minority. What is really bad is now that aa/twu/iam/afl/cio has pulled this, it has set a precedence that has blown Seniority out of the water! Seniority no longer rules! :down: And someday it just might come back to bit them in the tail feathers!!!!

That's what happens when your employer files for bankruptcy, is a day or two from a complete shutdown, another company offers to buy most of its assets and that new company offers you employment (contingent on waiving various parts of your union contract). Your seniority was with Trans World Airlines, not American Airlines. The former went out of business and the latter offered you employment.

That's what happens when your employer files for bankruptcy, is a day or two from a complete shutdown, another company offers to buy most of its assets and that new company offers you employment (contingent on waiving various parts of your union contract). Your seniority was with Trans World Airlines, not American Airlines. The former went out of business and the latter offered you employment.
<_< ---- You can try and condone what transpired anyway you want if that will ease your conscience! But it still don't make it right! You know that! And so does the rest of the world outside aa! And I believe some within!---- ;) Now, you can blast me if you want, but I meant what I said about not wanting to go there. Everyone here knows my feelings on the matter. And I feel at this point in time, any further debate serves no real useful purpose!

<_< ---- Unfortunately, you and I seem to be in the minority. What is really bad is now that aa/twu/iam/afl/cio has pulled this, it has set a precedence that has blown Seniority out of the water! Seniority no longer rules! :down: And someday it just might come back to bit them in the tail feathers!!!!----- ;)

I believe it will come to bite them in the tail. I was one of the few that was sticking up for the TWA’ers and have as recently as of yesterday in a discussion. In this industry it’s not if, it’s when it will happen. Trust me I’ll be there when it happens and will remind the biggest TWA haters what they wanted to do to others is now happening to them.

I disagree with the Kasher decision, but I know that if there was a vote taken by the TWU/AA membership the results would have been a lot worse for TWA members.

You can put any name on it, such as buy, the fact is TWA’s doors did not close. If AA is going to bring the employees on board then the company and the unions should have honored seniority rights, bottom line.

But I can understand where your coming from it’s all about me. It’s the AA way.

You can put any name on it, such as buy, the fact is TWA’s doors did not close. If AA is going to bring the employees on board then the company and the unions should have honored seniority rights, bottom line.

But I can understand where your coming from it’s all about me. It’s the AA way.

Get over it!
TWU and IAM agreed to binding arbitration!
The courts ruled on the flight attendants and passenger services.

It is what it is!

Get over it!

Latest posts