Transatlantic Schedule 2010

snnus

Oct 20, 2005
Ireland
Visit site
Whats happening with transatlantic for 2010 season, i dont think BHX is coming back and
that SNN and GLA is up for review? any other changes??

Dropping any 757 city makes little sense since the company is doing enough ETOPS mods to have a fleet of 18 of them. How many other cities can be more profitably served with that airplane not designed for transatlantic flying?

Thats a good point but BHX was never going to be kept seemingly, and international market is
not as strong as domestic, which is the complete opposite to a few years ago

Not a clue what the T/A skd will look like next year, but was wondering if they might be able to offer a couple days a week service to some places that cant seem to handle daily? Do something like using 1 plane to do BHX 4 X week and Cork, Ireland 3 X a week? Also curious why we dont have anything to Iceland, even just a couple times a week to Keflavik? The 757s would be perfect for that market.
If we're going to end up with so many 757s for T/A and a limited number of viable cities (service and mileage wise), do you think they might end up doing 2X757s to places like DUB and MAN and move the 767s and 330s currently used there to places further inland that have the mileage issues and could possibly support seasonal service? CPH, WAW, PRG, TXL etc?

I wonder what the odds are of getting a PHL-BUD or PHL-PRG service? can the 330's coming on line make the trip?

330 could easily do BUD or PRG, Czech Air still runs ancient A310's to JFK and Malev did 767's when they served JFK from BUD.

Maybe they will move some of the 75E's to S. america flying if they have the legs! hope they keep SNN
and GLA but who knows

Don't think SNN is going anywhere. They could have dropped it a few years ago when the SNN stopover rule was eliminated, but they didn't. It also serves a totally different market than DUB. Many people including myself, go to the SNN area to play golf, and purchase entire packages, including air, through the many Irish golf tour operators.

DL just dropped BUD due to poor yield's and no cargo. It's not a viable city.

330 could easily do BUD or PRG, Czech Air still runs ancient A310's to JFK and Malev did 767's when they served JFK from BUD.

Czech Air (OK) is in financial trouble (another example of excellent government business acumen, but I digress).

They are getting rid of the A310s and not replacing them with anything, at least not in the near future. PRG-USA service will be via DL codeshare (JFK-PRG plus ATL-PRG I think). All other long haul service will be via CDG (AF codeshare).

I would still be a little hesitant to start service right now to PRG, or BUD or WAW or any other part of former commie EU. If OK cannot make money with their cost structure, that should tell you how bad their economies suck right now (i.e. check out how the Czech crown, the forint and the zloty have dropped in value the last year or so). I still maintain that US is better serving eastern EU with * alliance partner OS via VIE or LH via MUC/FRA.

If I'm not mistaken, no airline has announced new transatlantic service yet for 2010. I guess it's particularly difficult to predict the revenue potential these days. The next slot conference is still two months away, but I wouldn't hold my breath as far as new European destinations are concerned.
AA is also converting 18 B757s; so far, the ones that have been completed are all being used to downsize existing B767 routes.

Latest posts