Trip Report - PHL - ORD

phlus2

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
PHL to ORD this past Sunday - not on US - but on UAL. Upgraded to first class - agent came onto the plane after I had boarded to see if I still I wanted to upgrade. When was the last time that happened on US?

Full flight - every seat occupied - but no need to check any carry on bags because UA actually has overhead bins that fit the luggage people bring on board.

Departed early - arrived early - imagine that.

First class upgrade on a 737 - which while it was old - was clean and didn't smell!

Service from PHL to ORD on United - drinks in real glasses, hot towels, full hot breakfast - scrambled eggs, fruit, sausage and canadian bacon, potatos, Starbucks Coffee, Croissant - go figure. When was the last time you had that on a US flight of under two hours in first class?

So why fly on US? The answer to that question is a mystery to me.

PHL to ORD this past Sunday - not on US - but on UAL. Upgraded to first class - agent came onto the plane after I had boarded to see if I still I wanted to upgrade. When was the last time that happened on US?

Full flight - every seat occupied - but no need to check any carry on bags because UA actually has overhead bins that fit the luggage people bring on board.

First class upgrade on a 737 - which while it was old - was clean and didn't smell!

Service from PHL to ORD on United - drinks in real glasses, hot towels, full hot breakfast - scrambled eggs, fruit, sausage and canadian bacon, potatos, Starbucks Coffee, Croissant - go figure. When was the last time you had that on a US flight of under two hours in first class?

Toto....we're not in Tempe anymore. We flew a real airline!!

Some examples of my experiences:

PHL-MIA on AA: Full Breakfast service--choice of pancakes or eggs. Choice of bagel or biscuit and not one of those tiny bagels US used to serve. Hot towels. US serves snack basket.

PHL-MIA on AA: Non-meal flight--snack--hot nuts, hot towels, choice of beef enchiladas or roast beef sandwich, cookie, mints. US serves snack basket.

PHL-MIA on AA: Dinner flight--hot nuts, hot towels, i forget the choices, cookie, mints. US serves snack basket

MIA-LAX on AA: Dinner flight: nearly lie flat seats, handheld entertainment, hot nuts, warm towels, Bose noise reduction headsets, menus for dinner, shrimp cocktail, salad, choice of steak or pasta, ice cream sundaes with choice of toppings, cookies, mints

DFW-PHL on AA: Snack flight: hot nuts, warm towels, choice of chicken salad wrap or turkey wrap, cookie, mints; US serves a small sandwich or salad I believe--the salad on my MIA-LAX flight was larger than the salad US serves as an entree.

CLE-MCO on CO: Dinner flight: hot towels, Cheddar Broccoli soup and ruben sandwich, piece of chocolate and Movie; US serves snack basket

PHL-IAH on CO: Snack flight, hot towels, Corn Chowder soup, hamburger, piece of chocolate; US serves snack basket

MCO-CLE: Breakfast: eggs, potatos, bread i think and then they came around with Cinnamon Buns....yummy

All glassware, all china.

One of those embarrassing moments:(LUV Commercial)

I inquired of a friend's travel tonight from his wife. She said he arrived at the gate 10 minutes prior to departure, but was not allowed to board, and subsequently did not arrive at his destination with his baggage. Unfortunately for him, the passenger seated beside him spilled an adult beverage on my friends suit, the same one he had to present in the next morning.
I know my friend usually travels on Delta so I asked her "was he able to make his original connection in Atlanta?"

"Oh no", she says." He connected through Charlotte this time".

I changed the subject.

It's about value and I can't blame you or anyone else for leaving. I WILL disagree with you on just one thing. Agents coming to the ac and asking if someone still wants to be upgraded happens on my flights all the time.

Comparing UA to US is like comparing mercury to arsenic.

Actual quote from a UA flight attendant regarding another passenger's cell phone : "What are you trying to do, crash the plane?"

Comparing UA to US is like comparing mercury to arsenic.

Actual quote from a UA flight attendant regarding another passenger's cell phone : "What are you trying to do, crash the plane?"

Gee, for all the bad rap our f/a's get for being overweight, old, and not quick to make conversation, I feel pretty for certain that our f/a's would refrain from such remarks..or I hope.

.or I hope.
This is not a bash, but I think UA and LCC FA's are very similar and would not surprised to hear that type of comment on LCC. And when I say they are similar, I mean that in a positive way--I think that group would make the best match in a merger. As for being surprised by that comment...are you really??? Just read the galley humor thread--most of that is real life.

Gee, for all the bad rap our f/a's get for being overweight, old, and not quick to make conversation, I feel pretty for certain that our f/a's would refrain from such remarks..or I hope.

I must say, for all the bad experiences I have had on US Airways, never have I even overheard, much less been the target of, rudeness like that. I've gotten "we can't do that", sighs, etc., but never rudeness on that scale. That's a category UA has all to itself.

Anybody who has ever read FlyerTalk knows the UA Flight Attendents reputation for surliness is well documented.
I haven't had any more problems with UA FA's compared to US FA's, but then again, believe it or not, behave when I fly. I did see a woman on a LAX transcon order the FA to put her bag in the overhead bin while she sat and read a magazine and he said what do I look like, a porter. I wish he had added yessum, I's do it right now. She was oblivious. Oh, about 20 years ago I was cutoff on a UA flight (the landing gear was down) and the man next to me YELLED at the FA and said he can finish the drink--now get it. I was mortified but I got my drink and downed it.

The stereotypes that usually have an element of company cultural truth are has AA Sky NAAzis and United has prison matrons. I don't know that US has the same uptight and flat-out rude reputation, if anything our negative perception is of being lazy and too laid back as far as rules and procedures. The Galley Show is hilarious because it's spot-on.