TWU Headcount Changes

AA767JET said:
So in order to hire off the street AA would have to exhaust the transfer list correct ???
I am not an expert on this but I would imagine the openings would be filled by transfers first.  But I could not be sure.

OldGuy@AA said:
Go ahead and trivialize the impact on these guys, many of who voted no for the contract.  26% of us in Tulsa voted no.  I would also like to point out that if 100% in JFK, LGA, LAX, ORD or any other line station had voted no the TA would not have passed. So there were yes voters at the line stations also.   It passed by a total of 48 votes system wide.  I voted no and tried to get others to also.  I held a home-made vote no sign on one side of the street while Stock Clerks and Title 2 held vote yes signs printed at the Local 514 sign shop.  Local 514 had my picture on a wanted poster in the union hall for a while.  Don't put us all in one basket.  There are a couple of elitists on this board that think line mechanics are God's gift to us all.  Do you want me to consider all line mechanics to be this way?  Isn't it bad enough that the TWU used crap posted by these morons to convince AMTs not to sign AMFA cards?  Keep up the good work of helping the TWU by continuing the chasm between Line and Overhaul.  I resent being labeled a yes voting, no backbone Tulsa guy.  I'm sure any of you would resent being labeled a holier than thou, elitist, pencil whipping, Pirep deferring, hypocrite.  Losing any $ is bad and if you condone or trivialize it for anyone else you are no better than the TWU stooges who constantly defend the TWU's actions.  I voted no too but I don't feel anything but sympathy for anyone who is going to lose money.  What they do to them today they will try to do to the rest of us tomorrow.  Like it or not we no voters were out voted by the slimmest of margins.  I choose to try to educate the yes voters rather than belittle them.  Some day we may all need eachother to send the company a message.  Your enemy is my enemy too and mine should be yours.  Hating on eachother only serves the company and the alliance pushers.  Just a few thoughts from an OldGuy who has seen Karma bite him in the butt a time or two.  What goes around comes around sooner or later.
Lighten up Francis, TUL has always voted for what is best for themselves, they have always had the numbers, that's just the way it is. Like back in the early 90s when we had a layoff and Tulsa was laid off first, they all went to DFW then AA laid off all the other stations. It's just a fact of life with the TWU. It's just not working in Tulsas favor anymore. Making sure the line guys got nothing extra and Tulsa not losing anything, but the OSM'S Being created is now catching up with OH. Arguably it can be said that the OSM positions saved a lot of jobs at AA, hopefully they're grateful that there is a position for themselves.

Always remember an OSM shouldn't complain because they can work at JFK or ORD as a regular mechanic, we moved our family's they can move theirs, it sucks but this is the airline industry. Nobody gets bumped out of our stations. Just a thought.

bigjets said:
Lighten up Francis, TUL has always voted for what is best for themselves, they have always had the numbers, that's just the way it is. Like back in the early 90s when we had a layoff and Tulsa was laid off first, they all went to DFW then AA laid off all the other stations. It's just a fact of life with the TWU. It's just not working in Tulsas favor anymore. Making sure the line guys got nothing extra and Tulsa not losing anything, but the OSM'S Being created is now catching up with OH. Arguably it can be said that the OSM positions saved a lot of jobs at AA, hopefully they're grateful that there is a position for themselves.

Always remember an OSM shouldn't complain because they can work at JFK or ORD as a regular mechanic, we moved our family's they can move theirs, it sucks but this is the airline industry. Nobody gets bumped out of our stations. Just a thought.
Yes you make a good point.  The lousy TAs keep getting passed and Tulsa does help pass them.  But I do remember the layoffs in the 90s.  I was crew chiefing out in the hangar and lost half my crew.  They went to LAX, JFK, BOS and ORD.  Some did get to go to DFW but most did not.  They had a 5% rule back then and no more than 5% of any station (Except Tulsa of course) could be bumped.  The OSM (SRP at first) was the brain child of the TWU International and was voted in back in the 90s.  This TA was passed by a comfortable margin as I remember so the line voted for it too.  The SRP was a non issue since it didn't have any affect on the line.  So are you saying it's ok for you to disregard something bad for Tulsa since it doesn't affect you? Obviously you feel Tulsa should not vote for anything bad for you.   Look, I understand Tulsa has always been a problem but it is changing.  The last TA passed by 48 votes system wide.  The TA before that failed.  The A scalers who rubber stamped everything are gone, so are the butt wipes who voted yes for the buyout.  Bob Owens has tried to tell you guys that the constant bickering between O/H and Line only hurts all of us.  If you want it to get better you and guys like conehead have to quit the constant whining about Tulsa.  I am from Boston so I know how expensive it is to live in the northeast.  I know the guys there need more money.  This company can well afford to pay you more without paying me less.  I am not willing to take less so you can get more and if that makes me a bad person so be it.  You have certainly made it clear that you couldn't care less about me.  Thankfully the line guys I know do not think like you and realize we need to find common ground.  Yeah I get aggrivated at the guys in Tulsa too but it is changing.  If you can't see that Parker is bringing in more pirates to help him destroy our careers then you haven't been paying attention.  The only hope we have is eachother.  

OldGuy@AA said:
Yes you make a good point.  The lousy TAs keep getting passed and Tulsa does help pass them.  But I do remember the layoffs in the 90s.  I was crew chiefing out in the hangar and lost half my crew.  They went to LAX, JFK, BOS and ORD.  Some did get to go to DFW but most did not.  They had a 5% rule back then and no more than 5% of any station (Except Tulsa of course) could be bumped.  The OSM (SRP at first) was the brain child of the TWU International and was voted in back in the 90s.  This TA was passed by a comfortable margin as I remember so the line voted for it too.  The SRP was a non issue since it didn't have any affect on the line.  So are you saying it's ok for you to disregard something bad for Tulsa since it doesn't affect you? Obviously you feel Tulsa should not vote for anything bad for you.   Look, I understand Tulsa has always been a problem but it is changing.  The last TA passed by 48 votes system wide.  The TA before that failed.  The A scalers who rubber stamped everything are gone, so are the butt wipes who voted yes for the buyout.  Bob Owens has tried to tell you guys that the constant bickering between O/H and Line only hurts all of us.  If you want it to get better you and guys like conehead have to quit the constant whining about Tulsa.  I am from Boston so I know how expensive it is to live in the northeast.  I know the guys there need more money.  This company can well afford to pay you more without paying me less.  I am not willing to take less so you can get more and if that makes me a bad person so be it.  You have certainly made it clear that you couldn't care less about me.  Thankfully the line guys I know do not think like you and realize we need to find common ground.  Yeah I get aggrivated at the guys in Tulsa too but it is changing.  If you can't see that Parker is bringing in more pirates to help him destroy our careers then you haven't been paying attention.  The only hope we have is eachother.  
Hey my friend, ultimately it's about finding a solution. I've come down and met some of the 26 %ers and all the reason for you all to be a proud bunch. Problem is, our efforts to replace our present representation will always live or die by the TUL campaign. That's why your Organizors inability to 'stay in the game' is disappointing. In my mind, and the suggestion was made, you all needed to find a way to grow that group. One idea would be to have buttons worn that say "I'm a proud 26%er, ask me why." and get that discussion going amongst more folks.
No doubt it takes a tremendous display of fortitude. I've heard of some of the aggressions of the local 514 jackals. The challenge is to stay unified. Fortitude, we're seeing it with our present local 591 reps. and that gives reason for us to support their efforts. Issues are being addressed and challenged that many have complained about for years. Yet, time waits for no one. The growth of the MRO industry here in the USA is proof that our time to provide change in the effort to repair the damage done to our profession is not limitless. IF needed, it will require us all to muster up this trait called "fortitude" to stay in the game and get the "showing of interest" mandated for that change to occur.

In the way back machine, the standard was, if you don't like it move to Tulsa. Now that the industry is changing and things aren't working out so well for Tulsa, now we ALL have to stand together. The fact the industry has changed and the only safe stations are the class 1s, and the northern stations are where the open spots are at. I think it would be a mistake for ALL of us to sacrifice to save Tulsa, which we ALL did in 2003. And now we are in 2015 worst contract and Tulsa is a shadow of its former self.

I wish ALL mechanics well, Tulsa guys who will suffer financially, and line mechs in the expensive cities who have been suffering financially since 2003. This is the last I will say about this as we are beating a dead horse and it doesn't matter what we say or what the union says, because it's happening.

OldGuy@AA said:
IIRC the contract that brought us SRPs-later called OSMs passed by less than 100 votes. Sure we can blame Tulsa but just as in the last vote there were enough guys on the line that didnt vote at all where if they had voted NO the deals would have been rejected.

We had YES votes from the line and NO votes in Tulsa, so blame the YES voters and those who didnt vote wherever they are. I believe that most of the YES votes on the line came from people who are no longer with the company or from Title II that are in Fleet Service Locals, some of the YES voters in Tulsa have likely been displaced. What we need to do is get us all on the same page because shortly we will face an influx of coworkers who approved a deal with a company that was making billions in profits that only brought them up to the new bottom of the industry which was our Bankruptcy deal.

The biggest challenge we all face is "Diminished Expectations" , far too many are stuck in a concessionary mindset despite unbelievably huge profits and a shortage of mechanics. The new AA has roughly as many employees as the old AA (less mechanics even with US added in) following the merger with TWA but their revenue is more than double. IIRC it was $17 billion in 2002 and now its over $40 billion. So in other words despite the fact that our productivity as far as revenue per employee has more than doubled we still are stuck in the mindset that we cant expect what UPS gets or more. Guys are worried about 4% when they should be demanding 40%.

JABORD - Your idea for the buttons is great.  I am going to look into that.  Keep you posted.  BigJets- Honestly I can see your side of the issue and we have to get the guys in the high cost areas more money.  The fact is we need people there so why should these guys have to eat cat food?  Bob- I don't remember the vote passing by less than 100.  I do remember the 5 and 5 that got a lot of A scalers to vote yes.  (I think that was the same TA) The great thing about these times is the ability to get the truth out quickly through the internet.  I always pass on the information learned through this blog.  I do what I can to get the truth out there and I will continue.  I am thankful we have this blog to exchange ideas and debate issues.  Keep the ideas coming.  

bigjets said:
In the way back machine, the standard was, if you don't like it move to Tulsa. Now that the industry is changing and things aren't working out so well for Tulsa, now we ALL have to stand together.
Stand Together Now? Where was this sentiment when TUL favored contracts were getting passed or threatened of getting passed using the Roll Call vote time and time again?
The fact the industry has changed and the only safe stations are the class 1s, and the northern stations are where the open spots are at. I think it would be a mistake for ALL of us to sacrifice to save Tulsa, which we ALL did in 2003. And now we are in 2015 worst contract and Tulsa is a shadow of its former self.
I agree....Contract after contract, the line stations were diminished by the wants and needs of TUL....Only to have loss of of work and jobs occur anyway.

I wish ALL mechanics well, Tulsa guys who will suffer financially, and line mechs in the expensive cities who have been suffering financially since 2003. This is the last I will say about this as we are beating a dead horse and it doesn't matter what we say or what the union says, because it's happening.
Yes it does suck to get downgraded or forced to relocate. But as I have said in another post, commuting to a high cost area like NY and being away from family is not worth it. 

OldGuy@AA said:
New york and alliance (AFW) voted against the contract. Another nail in the coffin thanks to Tulsa.

Maybe someday we'll be able to see the final vote count?             Not!

Rogallo said:
Maybe someday we'll be able to see the final vote count?             Not!
It was posted years ago. New York and AFW were the only stations to stand together.

OldGuy@AA said:

OldGuy@AA

The OSM (SRP at first) was the brain child of the TWU International and was
voted in back in the 90s.

In the 90’s, the industry was being destroyed by the effects of Deregulation which triggered Major Carrier Bankruptcies such as Eastern-89, Braniff-89, Continental-90, Pan Am-91, Eastern (2nd)-91, Trans World-92, Trans World (2nd)-95.

As I remember, the SRP position was the 1995 Tulsa Negotiators attempt to save the Support Shop work that was planned to be outsourced, and recall as many of their laid-off AMT’s as possible.

You may not remember the details but it required all Tulsa AMT’s on layoff be recalled before any SRP could be hired (approx 1,000 AMT’s). That’s what triggered the Early Out Program in that Contract. Once recalled, they became job protected as well as any line AMT replacement as a consequence of the recall to Tulsa. Additionally, if a Tulsa AMT had to accept an SRP position as a consequence of a future RIF, while working in that position they were paid their AMT wages and License Premium.

Not surprisingly, Management attempted to assign SRP’s to work they were not qualified to perform which became the immediate subject of a 29D Grievance:  M-1513-96

Excerpt from Arbitrators Decision: The 1995 Contract negotiations took place in an environment in the aviation industry that was one of the most difficult in years, and in which employees of other airlines had taken pay cuts, or exchanged contractual benefits for stock in the Company. To complicate matters, there were some 1,000 Mechanics on layoff at the Tulsa base, and the Company was discussing the outsourcing of some functions. The Union therefore agreed that accommodations would have to be made to reduce costs. The Shop Repairperson (SRP) provision was inserted into the agreement with this intention.

I recall reading a Local 514 Newsletter describing the case and decision

But there was a 5 and 5 in there for the A scalers.  The TWU always took care of them and most times it was at the expense of the rest of us.

Latest posts

Back