Unionization

how long did it take for the IAM to get representation of the ramp/fleet? was it in 92 or just before the gulf war?

how long did it take for the IAM to get representation of the ramp/fleet? was it in 92 or just before the gulf war?
i think it was mid '94. Then it took them like 5 years to finally get a contract. Never did regain the lost jobs and security that workers wanted. That's why the IAM didn't want a vote last month because they knew the IAM wouldn't stand a chance. Anyone who votes in the IAM is just ignorant.

regards,

What a union does for you is provide a voice, and strength in numbers. When you work for a company the size of US Airways individual interests, like a living wage, are secondary to upper management lining their pockets on the backs of the working class.

Unfortunately, in the case of US Airways contracts are only honored when it fits the interests of upper management. If the company doesn't wish to comply with what the company has negotiated they don't. "Grieve it, go to arbitration, we will file bankruptcy and plead poverty to abrogate your contract while collecting retention bonuses for our sleaze bag buddies".

Whether you like unions or not, the actions of US Airways upper management (and no the merger has not made that group any less greedy or self-serving) is a bright shining example of why the working class needs to unite to survive.

The ramp voted to unionize in 1995.

And to timmy, no union can get everything back in a first agreement, but once again I would not expect you to try and take the time to understand that.

The ramp voted to unionize in 1995.

And to timmy, no union can get everything back in a first agreement, but once again I would not expect you to try and take the time to understand that.
and when was the first contract signed ?

Here is the time line as I remember for CWA agents
April 2000
US management reveals they have made a merger deal with Ual that requires government approval. Ual executive honor the CWA contracts (Allegheny-Mohawk seniority protections) had to threat a lawsuit US management puts the airline on “hold†for 15 months
June 2000
CWA contract provides a “parity†pay increase that brings passenger service salaries over $21.00 per hour mark
June 2001
CWA contract provides for parity pay increase that bring our agents pay to $22.00 per hour mark
July 2001 department of justice denies the Ual/US merger US never recover form managements miscalculation and neglect
September 2001
Terrorist attack on New York and Washington airlines are in crisis and losing millions of dollars daily
October 2001
Furloughs and downsizing begin 3000 agents job will be eliminated CWA negotiates voluntary furlough programs and extension of recall and flying benefits
Summer of 2002
US executives demand concessions from each employee group threatening to go into bankruptcy court to make the cuts fit unions do not agree. Union representing the pilots, mechanics flight attendants, and fleet service agree to make concessions CWA holds out and refuses concession outside of bankruptcy.
August 2002 US management declares bankruptcy attempts to force CWA into the contract offer during the summer. CWA resist and eventually negotiate a contract that is ratified by almost 80% of the agents CWA negotiate a “jet for Jobs†agreement that promises jobs for furloughees as the airline transition to RJ flying
April 2003
US emerge from bankruptcy CWA gain seat on the BOD and shares of stock. Still management is unable to turn the employees sacrifices $1.2 BILLON from all employee groups into a successful business plan.
Summer 2003 CWA leads and wins a ‘NO 5% cut†campaign to end the 5% Iraq War pay deferral for all US employees
Summer 2004
Several US executives bail out taking $7 million in severance and benefits with them New executives announce the want more concession form the employees of they will go into bankruptcy again
Summer thought fall 2004
Management demands top pay of $13.09-which is the top at America West CWA battle management in weekly negotiation sessions fighting to save the pay and working condition of the agents CWA again refuse to make concessions outside of bankruptcy
September 2004
US executives again file for bankruptcy the judge grants 21% emergency pay cut and benefits cuts for employees only not for management CWA continues to negotiate while fighting management in court. CWA staff testifies in bankruptcy court to show the past sacrifices made by agents and token sacrifices made by management and executives. MANAGEMENT STICKS TO THEIR AMERICA WEST $13.09 top pay demands
October 2004
CWA CALLS FOR AGENT STRIKE VOTE TO BACK UP THE BARGAINING TEAM AGENT VOTE 90% IN FAVOR OF A STRIKE
This is the first passengers service strike vote at any airline in history IT HAS A STRONG EFFECT
December 2004
The agents strike vote has its effect. Management backs off some of their America West pay demands our pay settlement is $17.00 hr TOS the $18.00 hr TOS eventually then eventually going back to $21.00 is far from the $13.09 America West rate demanded by management. Sill we have sacrificed a lot our standard of living is cut sharply and we are angry none of us have and confidence in management’s ability to run the airline. Agents vote to ratify the contract by 65%. The judge cancels the ramp and mechanic contract forcing those employees to accept a contract
April 2005
Word leaks out that US execs are planning a merger with HP suspicion is that they were talking with HP for over a year that’s why they were demanding our pay to America West levels.
May 2005
Management announces a $55 million plan for executive and management retention bonuses CWA react against it. Over 2,300 employees sign CWA petition in just four days. CWA files
In court petitions attached to oppose the $55 million give-away
June 2005
Management reneges on the “jet for Jobs†agreement by selling MidAtlantic aircraft
June 2005
Management announces they will go back into bankruptcy court to cut the 5-month old employee profit sharing plan again CWA attorneys prepare to fight this in bankruptcy court
July 2005
America West and US Airway exces call for extra seniority treatment to boost AWA employees over US employees during merger integration CWA insists DOH.

I've spent 2 years trying to find a long-term job in Phoenix (IT) but finally decided to try US Airways. I heard they treat employees fairly, and the benefits were great. Plus opportunity to move up in the company.

Opportunity is there to move up. I started as a f/a & had a comp.sci degree and it lead to a couple different positions during my time there at US.

I haven't heard a thing about what this unionization will do for us,

Like anything there are pros and cons with being union or not. Personally, I don't think union have adapted enough to serve the changing times. Too protective of the worst employees that basically brings down everyones pay and benefits & the overall health of the Co. Many labor laws have been enacted that protect workers that weren't around a few decades ago.

Keep in mind these threads always get hijacked by a select few with a vested interest in swaying decisions.
Bankruptcies, fuel prices, mergers etc. can be used as an continual excuse or recognized as the ever changing face of business.

Looking in the mirror?

If I made a mistake I can admit it, I am checking on the certification date.

And I have been nothing but forthright in my posts, can you say the same?

All you are is a hater who cant take responsibility.

There were three agreements reached for fleet, one in 1995 which was not voted, one in 1999 that was rejected and another in 1999 that was ratified.

What a union does for you is provide a voice, and strength in numbers. When you work for a company the size of US Airways individual interests, like a living wage, are secondary to upper management lining their pockets on the backs of the working class.

Unfortunately, in the case of US Airways contracts are only honored when it fits the interests of upper management. If the company doesn't wish to comply with what the company has negotiated they don't. "Grieve it, go to arbitration, we will file bankruptcy and plead poverty to abrogate your contract while collecting retention bonuses for our sleaze bag buddies".

Whether you like unions or not, the actions of US Airways upper management (and no the merger has not made that group any less greedy or self-serving) is a bright shining example of why the working class needs to unite to survive.

"Copy that", Captain.

700 cant be truthful on even the year when the iam was voted in! At least hes consistant. The year was 1994. Then it took (5) five years to even get the first agreement.

and was the pension retro back to 94 ?
giving a F/S agent 12 vested years ?

Back