United Airlines acquiring US airways ?

Given the recent news that DL and NW are close to a deal, and UA and CO are now closer to consolidating as well, I guess this whole thread of a merger with LCC is now moot. If this current merger mania actually gets off the ground, LCC will be on the sidelines fighting it's civil war thanks to a small group of East pilots. ;)

Aww shucks jetz..and here after the Nic thing came out you posted that UAL would just staple us all over here if we merged without Alpa's blessings...as..if. I'd think that the current situation would suit your continually variable fantasies quite well then. :lol: Golly; Who knew that "a small group of East pilots." would be such an utterly awesome force within the boardrooms of corporate America?...umm...yeah...sure...;) It seems that in addition to being a self appointed spokesman for "the majority of pilots", you're also privvy to insider information at the highest corporate levels. I'm impressed :rolleyes:

Given the recent news that DL and NW are close to a deal, and UA and CO are now closer to consolidating as well, I guess this whole thread of a merger with LCC is now moot. If this current merger mania actually gets off the ground, LCC will be on the sidelines fighting it's civil war thanks to a small group of East pilots. ;)
Go stir the pot at UA.....Maybe CO has a big stapler..that would be a good laugh.

It may indeed be all wishful thinking , but IF UAL was interested in any part of US , it would be the east since the west is mostly redundant with DEN,LAX and SFO and PHX and LAS don't produce enough

I see this kind of commentary all the time. Check the numbers; the truth is PHX & LAS dwarf US Airways' "core franchise" airports like PHL & DCA in O & D numbers. Probably what you really mean is PHX & LAS don't produce the number of high-yield routes now needed to cover the bloated cost structure that the west is saddled with now that the "LCC" millstone is around its neck.

In the late 90's Wolf/Gangwal indentified two possible options for USAir, given the realities and limitations of it's cost-structure and route system: Become much smaller, a "boutique" regional serving select point-to-point northeast routes, or, merge into a much large carrier that could use it's worldwide network to (finally) leverage the east coast presence of USAir. A merger is looking less and less likely.