Us Airways And United Airlines News

With US Airways 2007 to 2009 A330, A321, and A320 firm orders positioned to replace its B767/B757s, I have always questioned the wisdom of taking delivery of United's B767/B757s.

Dave Siegel has publicly discussed the need to have one widebody fleet and it makes sense to operate A330s, A320 family, and B737 aircraft, from a cost perspective.

I believe an argument could be made that if RSA owns United B767/B757s, David Bronner would like to prevent an EETC rejection, thus he may have lobbied to have the equipment transferred to US Airways to protect his investment.

However, I believe Siegel now prefers Airbus aircraft and the United B767/B757s could be a cost issue in US Airways' fleet.

Meanwhile, our entire crew was told by a former US Airways senior executive yesterday that the US Airways board met last Thursday and United senior executives attended the meeting.

Regards,

Chip

CWA President Morty Bahr, CWA's US Airways BOD member Magdalena Jacobsen, and CWA staff met with US Airways CEO Dave Siegel and Senior VP for Employee Relations Jerry Glass in Crystal City today.

Merger: CWA'ers questioned whether recent public statements by CEO Dave Siegel about industry consolidation indicated that management is looking to sell or merge the airline. We asked specifically if there were any merger or sale discussions or approaches going on. The answer from the executives was an unequivocal “Noâ€￾.

Chip,

If there was discussion between U/UAL how could Siegel make this statement, considering a member of the BOD was there? Let's not forget that management answers to the BOD as they are the representative body of the shareholder. Management can surely with hold information not required by the SEC from the general public. I find it hard to believe they could outright lie or decieve the BOD though.

AM49AAA:

I understand your point, but there is something going on and it's likely the labor leaders will not be told until the deal is signed, if it happens.

Regardless, like I said, our entire crew was told by a former US Airways senior executive yesterday that the US Airways board (maybe just some certain members like Rono Dutta) met last Thursday and United senior executives attended the meeting.

Regards,

Chip

FlyingHippie said:
Chip, its not often I agree with you but, something is brewing. Richard Branson's Virgin USA is looking at PHL for a base of operations, Southwest is moving into PHL, does not look good. The big question you should be asking is, Is US Airways about to be sold off in pieces or is US Airways about to buy some pieces.
While I am not Chip, I also believe there is something brewing here with Virgin USA.
An article in Aviation Daily about Virgin USA alluded to the fact that they are interested in PHL, but would also consider bases in New York or Washington. Washington (IAD) just happens to be an ACA hub and Virgin USA could be started using ACA. The ACA BOD really can't believe that they can start their own low cost carrier without some outside financial assistance, so I think they are holding out on the Mesa merger proposal because Sir Richard has chatted with them about being Virgin USA. On the other hand, if Virgin chooses PHL, maybe they are talking with Bronner and Company about using MDA or US assets, which would make US the SuperRegional that is often spoken of. Just two ideas that may hold water.

QUOTE (FlyingHippie @ Nov 18 2003, 02:14 AM)
Chip, its not often I agree with you but, something is brewing. Richard Branson's Virgin USA is looking at PHL for a base of operations, Southwest is moving into PHL, does not look good. The big question you should be asking is, Is US Airways about to be sold off in pieces or is US Airways about to buy some pieces.

While I am not Chip, I also believe there is something brewing here with Virgin USA.
An article in Aviation Daily about Virgin USA alluded to the fact that they are interested in PHL, but would also consider bases in New York or Washington. Washington (IAD) just happens to be an ACA hub and Virgin USA could be started using ACA. The ACA BOD really can't believe that they can start their own low cost carrier without some outside financial assistance, so I think they are holding out on the Mesa merger proposal because Sir Richard has chatted with them about being Virgin USA. On the other hand, if Virgin chooses PHL, maybe they are talking with Bronner and Company about using MDA or US assets, which would make US the SuperRegional that is often spoken of. Just two ideas that may hold water.

SpinDoc, BINGO! Branson has been bragging that he wants Virgin USA to start next year. How can he start next year without an operating certificate, doesn't that take a long time to acquire by FAA standards? Seems pretty clear to me if Sir Richard is going to stay on this timeline he needs to find somebody with a spare operating certificate. Air Potomac, MDA, Virgin USA? Interesting.

MDA certificate is NOT a spare. USAirways Mainline is sharing this certificate with MDA. They are both under the same certifiate.

So, your hypothesis would have to imply ALL of U to be sold R. Branson for USA Virgin if he wanted to capture our certificate. And why would he want to do that, when he could just apply for his own.

PitBULL, he wants it running by fall. From what I was told, it can take between 18-24 months to attain an operating certificate. Are you sure MDA is sharing the operating certificate?

PITbull said:
MDA certificate is NOT a spare. USAirways Mainline is sharing this certificate with MDA. They are both under the same certifiate.

So, your hypothesis would have to imply ALL of U to be sold R. Branson for USA Virgin if he wanted to capture our certificate. And why would he want to do that, when he could just apply for his own.
if i'm correct,i believe its the old "potomac airline" certificate left over from piedmont or allegheny days.

FlyingHippie said:
SpinDoc, BINGO! Branson has been bragging that he wants Virgin USA to start next year. How can he start next year without an operating certificate, doesn't that take a long time to acquire by FAA standards? Seems pretty clear to me if Sir Richard is going to stay on this timeline he needs to find somebody with a spare operating certificate. Air Potomac, MDA, Virgin USA? Interesting.
Atlantic Coast (ACA) has signed an MOU to purchase Airbus 319/320 aircraft. IAD would be a very good strategic hub for Virgin USA. It will be interesting to see what Sir Richard's grand plan encompasses, but I would be willing to bet that ACA will become Virgin USA, operating with a codeshare contract similar to ACA's current United Express contract. ACA aircraft will be repainted as Virgin USA and inventory will be managed by Virgin UK. The news about Virgin looking at PHL is just a ruse to throw off competitors and to put more pressure on US Airways.

It seems ACA's new little operation pretty much debunks Sir Richard coming. Read about their Independence Air operations.

I highly doubt Inependence Air will bcome Virgin USA. With the exception on the 340's on Virgin Alanic, all of the other Virgin airlines use Boeing equipment. Virgin Blue used and still may use from time to time some equipment from Virgin Express and the now defunct Virgin Sun.