US/UA Official Merger Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
"......que in the sound of trumpets and flags waving....."

Pan out to the fleet of United aircraft on the tarmac......

"....sound!....que up the UAL soundbite...."...WE ARE ALPA"......

etc...etc....etc.....

yawn.

Not taking sides here, but if experience teaches us anything, all that will happen if US/UA begin capacity reductions is that someone else will fill the gap. When U went backrupt the first two times, they parked a lot of airplanes. Delta and SW grew faster than they could park 'em. JB, VA and others are just waiting for that to happen.
[/quote The problem with this industry is that it is too fragmented. Is there really a need for 6 legacy carriers without pricing power? Imagine the strength with 3 major carriers controlling approximately 75% of the market? Sure SW will continue to grow but when there's only so much real estate to be had... Either that or a few more airlines need to cease operations. Even in that situation, the true lccs will really gain access to growth. With a merger at least you have a stronger network with much more control over the situation.

US is playing politics and so is UAL. Whomever offers the best gets the glory. DP vs. some guy at UAL, who can turn things around.

UAL is twice the size of US w/$500 million loss- US w/$200+ loss. Is the the scale not noticeable?

UA and LCC have their hands full if a merger appears. It is bad enough we cannot even finish with the AWA merger now we throw UA into the mix. I see another 9/11 being pulled this time with this "depression" setting in. Massive layoffs are in the cards and whatever else they can pull this time. Aren't you all just nausiated over the airline industry?

I see another 9/11 being pulled this time with this "depression" setting in. Massive layoffs are in the cards and whatever else they can pull this time. Aren't you all just nausiated over the airline industry?

You are a little ray of sunshine. :unsure:

You are a little ray of sunshine. :unsure:
Before this becomes something it's not, I think the poster might be saying the massive layoffs that could result from the merger will resemble 9/11. I have to agree with him/her there. The only difference is that fuel is the enemy now. We are all hurting and desperate times cause for desperate measures. This merger, if it happens, may be out of desperation.

Before this becomes something it's not, I think the poster might be saying the massive layoffs that could result from the merger will resemble 9/11. I have to agree with him/her there. The only difference is that fuel is the enemy now. We are all hurting and desperate times cause for desperate measures. This merger, if it happens, may be out of desperation.

Possibly in the end, fuel may be the factor that makes this merger NOT happen. The high cost of jet fuel may make the merger not workable. Did I not just read that UAL and LCC are reworking their business plans with updated fuel costs?

Possibly in the end, fuel may be the factor that makes this merger NOT happen. The high cost of jet fuel may make the merger not workable. Did I not just read that UAL and LCC are reworking their business plans with updated fuel costs?

I wonder if they are looking to compensate for the high fuel costs by raising fares to the level that they should be, or simply looking for ways to stick it to the employees yet again.

Given past history of the "talent," I'll bet I know the answer.

One thing that stuck out in what Doug had mentioned is that if they "were" talking and we "were" to merge he'd offer the union groups the highest of either contract. THAT right there will NEVER fly. We all know that even the higher cost contract will NOT guarantee a good deal. With these merger threads going as long as they do I'd say it's pretty safe that we're all just aviation enthusiasts along with with being employees and have absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE as to what is going on behind closed doors. Just because you don't hear anything or Doug goes away for the weekend doesn't mean talks have stalled. There is absolutely NOBODY "in the know" here as far as I can see. The mud slinging is laughable too as IMO both carriers are a JOKE. One a little classier of a JOKE but a joke all the same. WHY do airline employees bash each other when we have no control? Pilots will STOP this merger? They were waiting for fleet to ratify? Give me a break. What will be will be but certainly won't stay as it is now. How about THAT for a revelation. :lol:

Not taking sides here, but if experience teaches us anything, all that will happen if US/UA begin capacity reductions is that someone else will fill the gap. When U went backrupt the first two times, they parked a lot of airplanes. Delta and SW grew faster than they could park 'em. JB, VA and others are just waiting for that to happen.

Have you not been reading the news as of late? Almost all the airlines have said they would either park aircraft or pare down their flying due to the rising fuel costs. Even JB and WN are cutting back. I doubt that there will be a max influx of seats from one airline if others pare back.

The only one I have not see something about in recent weeks is VA. They, however have got to be burning cash just as fast as some of the others.

Have you not been reading the news as of late? Almost all the airlines have said they would either park aircraft or pare down their flying due to the rising fuel costs. Even JB and WN are cutting back. I doubt that there will be a max influx of seats from one airline if others pare back.

The only one I have not see something about in recent weeks is VA. They, however have got to be burning cash just as fast as some of the others.
Sure. Just like after 9/11, when you couldn't give away airline seats. DL and SW grew like crazy into U's abandoned markets. Believe what you want, but history does not agree with you. Some fool with a few bucks will do it. You can count on it.

Sure. Just like after 9/11, when you couldn't give away airline seats. DL and SW grew like crazy into U's abandoned markets. Believe what you want, but history does not agree with you. Some fool with a few bucks will do it. You can count on it.

I can see it now........

Some airline "Fool" as you call it, is going to say to his board of directors.......

Lets pull those airplanes out of the desert, the ones we parked because they were so expensive to operate.

Then place them in service where we generate half the revenue of the cost.

We'll lose our a$$, but at least we'll take market share and we'll force the other airlines to lose money too.

History is just that HISTORY.

I can tell you this....

Anyone who haas been in this industry for any length of time, is glad you are not running the show at their airline.

History will serve as a lesson, not as a blueprint for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back