US/UA Official Merger Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was kinda for this merger but as time passes I hope it doesn't happen. I commute a lot on other airlines and I always end up with United crews and they tend look down their noses at us and say what does US have to offer UAL?
Same self-important attitude, different year. It was the same way in 1995 and again in 2000. Their pilots and FAs would see us in terminals, or on hotel vans or at hotel check-in counters and make nasty comments or sneer and look down their noses at us like we were some kind of scum. I didn't think then and I don't think now that those UA crewmembers had any more say-so in the matter than we did/do. It pi$$ed them off to no end and they behaved as though we were somehow personally involved in the merger decision and had any control over it.

Remember, they do the same job, it just happens to be in a different uniform with a different airline's name on the fuselage. Decisions like mergers happen well over a lowly crewmember's head and there's no need for that kind of smugness, especially on the part of anyone who works for an airline hemorrhaging that much cash. Next time you get treated that way by some snotty UA crewmember, just ignore it and yawn. Don't feed that kind of immature behavior.

Same self-important attitude, different year. It was the same way in 1995 and again in 2000. Their pilots and FAs would see us in terminals, or on hotel vans or at hotel check-in counters and make nasty comments or sneer and look down their noses at us like we were some kind of scum. I didn't think then and I don't think now that those UA crewmembers had any more say-so in the matter than we did/do. It pi$$ed them off to no end and they behaved as though we were somehow personally involved in the merger decision and had any control over it.

Remember, they do the same job, it just happens to be in a different uniform with a different airline's name on the fuselage. Decisions like mergers happen well over a lowly crewmember's head and there's no need for that kind of smugness, especially on the part of anyone who works for an airline hemorrhaging that much cash. Next time you get treated that way by some snotty UA crewmember, just ignore it and yawn. Don't feed that kind of immature behavior.
Well, if that isn't the truth...
well said sir...

that pretty much spells it out there as I see it..

Well done.

Same self-important attitude, different year. It was the same way in 1995 and again in 2000.

What does US have to offer UAL? Not a whole lot. US has a few international destinations (a lot of it seasonal) but really when you break it down USAirways is just a collection of regional airlines that has never seemed to make money as a whole. If you were to dissect this cadaver the only organ of any value is the DCA shuttle operation which would probably go bye-bye if UAL were to acquire US. PHL has nothing over IAD except problems, BOS- no international presence. Maybe LGA. Overall, though, not a whole lot to offer.

What does US have to offer UAL? Not a whole lot. US has a few international destinations (a lot of it seasonal) but really when you break it down USAirways is just a collection of regional airlines that has never seemed to make money as a whole.

Hmm let's see.....for the umteenth time......US has a stronger balance sheet, a larger Carribbean presence, a southern hub (which I might add UAL has not been shy about wanting :rolleyes: ) 21 T/A flights out of PHL alone, a strong hold on the largest NE shuttle markets....I'm sure there's more to offer behind the scenes. IMO, I think Parker needs to publically shun UAL, like CAL did for the mess they really are, and let them fall apart so ALL the other carriers can pick up the pieces left behind! A little harsh, but I'm just tired of everybody picking on US! <_<

What does US have to offer UAL? Not a whole lot. US has a few international destinations (a lot of it seasonal) but really when you break it down USAirways is just a collection of regional airlines that has never seemed to make money as a whole. If you were to dissect this cadaver the only organ of any value is the DCA shuttle operation which would probably go bye-bye if UAL were to acquire US. PHL has nothing over IAD except problems, BOS- no international presence. Maybe LGA. Overall, though, not a whole lot to offer.

let's turn this around, what does UA offer US? yeah some international presence but at what cost? the National Debt ? I hate to bust your UA bubble but most reports I have seen have US as the acquiring airline not the other way around
why not wait and when UA goes belly up then pick through the bones along with AA, CO and DL/NW

let's turn this around, what does UA offer US? yeah some international presence but at what cost? the National Debt ? I hate to bust your UA bubble but most reports I have seen have US as the acquiring airline not the other way around
why not wait and when UA goes belly up then pick through the bones along with AA, CO and DL/NW

Well, maybe so, however... All UAL has to do is sell off MP and they will raise about 3 billion, so I wouldn't look for the ship to sink anytime soon... US on the other hand.... If it was such a disaster Douggie would have already walked away, no doubt... Sometimes, people on this board forget to use logic.

Thanks so much for your insight thus far guys. I'm getting a better idea of the pro's and con's of the merger. I still think it's a bad idea for us to be tied to UAL. They have way too much debt and I think in the end it will be our demise. All the routes they have are great but if we're out of job what good does it do for any of us?

Oh and a lot of them poo poo on CLT saying what would UAL possibly want with CLT? Apparently no one lives there or flies there ever!!! Also PHL...they don't understand why we have so many INTL flights out of there or why we have flights out of there to the begin with.

Folks,

I don't like where this is going. If this becomes another P***ing contest about which is better UA or US, I will close it and give out suspensions liberally. Stay focused on the actual issues, and stop the chest thumping.

There are strengths and weaknesses on both sides, as there are pros and cons on both sides of this issue.

Deal with it and move on.

Last and only warning.

JP Morgan says US is greatest risk of declaring bankruptcy...ahead of NW and UA.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...55_FORTUNE5.htm

J.P. Morgan also listed the airlines it thinks are at Chapter 11 risk, from lowest to highest: Southwest Airlines (LUV), Alaska Air Lines (ALK), Delta Air Lines (DAL), AirTran (AAI), Continental (CAL), JetBlue (JBLU), American Airlines parent AMR Corp. (AMR), United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UAUA), Northwest Airlines (NWA), and U.S. Airways (LCC).

Let's hope the elimination of pretzels from Y will save the day. :blink:

that's an opinion which like other things everybody has one,they could be right but J P Morgan has been out in left field before I disagree with the order myself

Status
Not open for further replies.