Why no Philadelphia Expansion?

where is a source for this?

Someone on another forum who claims to have access to CLT airport planning says that Lufthansa recently asked the airport to model in CAD the new Boeing 747-800 at their current gate to see if it will fit. Currently, they park the A340-600 there which is the longest commercial plane, but the new 747-800 will be longer and I guess they want to see if they can use it to fly to Charlotte.

-atlrvr

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/107-charlotte-douglas-airport-clt-expansion/page__st__2140

I don't know about the long term projection but the Cost per Passenger Enplanement (CPE) is a factor in the recent CLT expansion.

Article dated May 2009

There's no doubt Pittsburgh's fees are high. The cost per enplanement to the airlines operating out of the airport, an industry benchmark, is $15.80, on average. While that will drop to $13.40 in June, it's still higher than the median of $6.24, based on 116 airports rated by Moody's Investors Service.Even at $13.40, Pittsburgh's cost per enplanement rivals that in some larger markets, including San Francisco, New York's LaGuardia, and Boston's Logan, based on 2007 numbers.

It is higher than Denver, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Detroit, Phoenix, Atlanta and Charlotte-Douglas, which, at under $2, is one of the lowest in the country.Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09151/973762-28.stm#ixzz13urbYKK0

Philly.....Article dated October 2010

In fiscal 2009, operating revenues continued to grow reflecting the expansion of the terminal infrastructure and the inclusion of Outside Terminal Area (OTA) revenues available for debt service. In FY 2009, the airport reported debt service coverage of 2.61x and 1.68x, respectively. In FY 2010, coverage is expected to remain strong but will decline to 2.38x and 1.47x, respectively, reflecting the softening of some non-airline revenue cash flows and the generally flat traffic trends. Similarly, the airport's CPE has been inline with previous forecasts ranging from $6.15 in fiscal 2007 to $9.60 in fiscal 2010. With the addition of the airport's CEP and additional terminal infrastructure, the airport's forecasts indicate CPE will increase to the $12-$13 range by 2016 - which is still competitive for an international gateway and hub airport. Under a stress scenario in which connecting traffic is decreased by approximately 30% in fiscal 2012, the airport's CPE climbs to as high as the $16 dollar range. While this represents a 40% increase over previous levels, management has indicated that carriers are on-board with the increase and there is has been no conflict receiving MII approval from carriers. In addition, Fitch believes the CPE is still competitive relative to peer airports with the additional leverage.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/107-charlotte-douglas-airport-clt-expansion/page__st__2140
It's also possible LH has asked all its international destinations if their current gate(s) can handle a 748 just so they can know whether or not it's possible, should they wish to schedule service.

Boeing states that the 747-8 can carry 467 pax in a 3 class config. I don't know what LH plans on putting in theirs, but the 744 seats 330 in their current config. So we can assume it will be more than the 330 pax they can do now. I doubt it will be as many as 467 though.

The LH A346 carries 306 in 3 classes, and the A330-300 flown in the off season to CLT (now) carries 221 in in 3 classes.

Is there really that much demand that would have them increase the capacity by around 50-100%? I would think they'd be using a 744(similar seating capacity to the 346) already if that were the case, and also that they wouldn't be scaling back by 100 seats in the Winter months.

In the longer term, PHL will get more expensive than PIT. While PIT will continue to pay off debt (it has $435 million outstanding), lowering those payments and thus continuing to lower the cost per enplaned passenger, PHL anticipates embarking on it's major overhaul of the terminal and runway layout 2016 which will involve about $5-1/3 billion of spending.

"The airport's long-term capital enhancement program is sizable and requires the issuance of additional bonds. The current CEP is estimated at a total of $5.35 billion for a total period of phased construction from fiscal 2013 through fiscal 2025.

Fitch says, in the same press release used in the Philly article:

"The airport's long-term capital enhancement program is sizable and requires the issuance of additional bonds. The current CEP is estimated at a total of $5.35 billion for a total period of phased construction from fiscal 2013 through fiscal 2025."

That borrowing and attendant debt payments could make PHL one of if not the most expensive airports in the country for cost per enplaned passenger unless traffic volume explodes in the coming decade.

Jim

In the longer term, PHL will get more expensive than PIT. While PIT will continue to pay off debt (it has $435 million outstanding), lowering those payments and thus continuing to lower the cost per enplaned passenger, PHL anticipates embarking on it's major overhaul of the terminal and runway layout 2016 which will involve about $5-1/3 billion of spending.

"The airport's long-term capital enhancement program is sizable and requires the issuance of additional bonds. The current CEP is estimated at a total of $5.35 billion for a total period of phased construction from fiscal 2013 through fiscal 2025.

Fitch says, in the same press release used in the Philly article:

"The airport's long-term capital enhancement program is sizable and requires the issuance of additional bonds. The current CEP is estimated at a total of $5.35 billion for a total period of phased construction from fiscal 2013 through fiscal 2025."

That borrowing and attendant debt payments could make PHL one of if not the most expensive airports in the country for cost per enplaned passenger unless traffic volume explodes in the coming decade.

Jim
I agree Jim. And everyone thinks PHL is a mess now, wait till construction starts. The runways, then the Terminals, Parking. PHL should open up Willow Grove and Wilmington for Reliever traffic, which none is stated in the plan. I would say utilize PNE, but they are land locked as well. Have UPS and the other Cargos use Willow Grove, and Airlines that use RJ's, fly into Wilmington. It is going to be a big cluster**** once they start.

I agree Jim. And everyone thinks PHL is a mess now, wait till construction starts. The runways, then the Terminals, Parking. PHL should open up Willow Grove and Wilmington for Reliever traffic, which none is stated in the plan. I would say utilize PNE, but they are land locked as well. Have UPS and the other Cargos use Willow Grove, and Airlines that use RJ's, fly into Wilmington. It is going to be a big cluster**** once they start.
Temporary reliever airports aren't going to make a difference. The PHL runways will all continue to remain open so current utilization will continue. The terminals and area around the airport will be a mess but that won't affect what's happening airside.

Temporary reliever airports aren't going to make a difference. The PHL runways will all continue to remain open so current utilization will continue. The terminals <...>will be a mess but that won't affect what's happening airside.
Yeaah, just parking planes...won't make a bit of difference... :eek:

I didn't think there was going to be a huge change with the terminals. I know the plan was to move the express terminal to the other side of 17/35 but they will build the new one before doing anything to the old one. What are they doing to the others?

Is there really that much demand that would have them increase the capacity by around 50-100%? I would think they'd be using a 744(similar seating capacity to the 346) already if that were the case, and also that they wouldn't be scaling back by 100 seats in the Winter months.

Except that LH doesn't fly the 744 out of Munich, so technically they are already flying the largest plane they can on the route in the summer months. I have no idea if any 748s will be based in Munich or not, and I doubt there is enough demand for a US 333 and a LH 748 from FRA.

Latest posts