Why no Philadelphia Expansion?

IberiaMAL

Advanced
Dec 30, 2008
Reading through what all US Airways has publicly stated, it seems like Philadelphia is getting ignored these days.

The only thing I have really found regarding any expansion was this excerpt;

In the meantime, US Airways will grow internationally, which currently provides only about 21% of revenue, far below the level of the three other legacy network carriers.

President Scott Kirby said he views the discrepancy as "a unique opportunity for us." He said US Airways has been expanding service to Europe from Charlotte and Philadelphia over the past few years. Additionally, the carrier began flying from Charlotte to Rio de Janeiro last year and will add Charlotte to Sao Paulo, as well as to Dublin and Madrid, next year.

Looking ahead, US Airways will continue to add service from Charlotte to South America "as opportunities [are] there and as rights are there." The carrier will also add service from Charlotte and Phoenix to Europe, Kirby said. Eventually, US Airways could fly to Asia as well. It was awarded a Philadelphia - Beijing route in 2007, but decided not to fly when the economy collapsed. Kirby said Asian service is most likely linked to deliveries of the A350, which could begin around the middle of the decade.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10896028/1/us-airways-eyes-merger-global-growth.html

I feel like US Airways could make Philadelphia much stronger than it is. Could Philadelphia not be a great hub to Asia? Is it the lack of gate space why US Airways is not as agressive as it used to be in PHL? Is US a little angered by that WN/DAL debacle a few years ago? Or would PHL just not be a great Asian hub? Is it the lack of capable aircraft (are A332's not capable?)? i'd like to see Moscow and other destinations added to the US Route map.

Is it the lack of capable aircraft (are A332's not capable?)?

For PHL-Asia, probably. On days with calm winds they could probably operate without a large payload restriction - QF flies A332s at similar ground distances - but on a yearly basis it probably isn't feasible due to the winds on an E/W routing.

Maybe PHL is capped in it's international capacity due to competition with JFK down the road? Hmmmmm ;)

Maybe PHL is capped in it's international capacity due to competition with JFK down the road? Hmmmmm ;)
Actually, it's the other way around, JFK is capped. No such thing at PHL. In fact the airport authority has recently started a marketing push for more service from current and new international carriers.

If AA or UA, or DL for that matter, decided to make PHL their East Coast international hub, instead of JFK/IAD, PHL would easily become a major international hub with its existing Terminal A infrastructure.

It's obvious that Parker has made a decision to not expand internationally at least for the next 2 years, by virtue of the 332 order pushout. Also, as I've said before, my theory is that US is setting itself up for a merger or acquisition with AA, DL or UA and in any of those cases, because of its proximity to existing hubs, PHL is likely not as appealing an asset as CLT (as a connecting hub) - particularly to AA or UA. Additionally, one can imagine the exuberance from UA/CO and to a smaller exent AA, if overnight (due to a merger/acquisition), US no longer flew internationally from PHL. OTOH, there is always the possiblity a current merger plan exists, whereby US is split into pieces - 1 piece includes PHL and the other CLT and CLT is being structured to support the prospective buyers future objectives for a Southeast Hub.

PHL airport is constrained by runways and gate space. More Intl. flights could be added (by any airline), but the timing would have to work so it doesn't congest the late afternoon/evening banks of departures and the mid day intl. arrivals.

Not to worry though, the FAA is going to render the final decision in December as to whether or not go to ahead with the "Alternative A" airport expansion plan which adds a fair amount of capacity over the next 12-15 years.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20100507_Airport_planning__5_2_billion_expansion.html

PHL airport is constrained by runways and gate space. More Intl. flights could be added (by any airline), but the timing would have to work so it doesn't congest the late afternoon/evening banks of departures and the mid day intl. arrivals.

Not to worry though, the FAA is going to render the final decision in December as to whether or not go to ahead with the "Alternative A" airport expansion plan which adds a fair amount of capacity over the next 12-15 years.

That sounds a little long. 2023 - 2026 is when a fair amount of capacity can be added. I wish there was something PHL could do to at least free or create a couple of new international routes. Charlotte is putting 2 A330 capable gates on the Express terminal. I wonder if Philadelphia could do something similar?

Oh well. I guess US has a sufficient amount of destinations in Europe from PHL, mine as well move on to CLT - South America I suppose. How is CLT - GIG doing these days?

Charlotte is putting 2 A330 capable gates on the Express terminal. I wonder if Philadelphia could do something similar?
Talk about putting 5lbs of dooky in a 2 lb bag....I saw the CAD drawing on it and it is close to the east side taxilane...Also, LH has asked the airport to put a 747-800 on the CAD to see if it will work on their gate, talk about conjestion....

12-15 years sounds a little long but 13-16 years is about right?
Jim

:p I was emphasizing the fact that 12-15 years is equivalent to ~2025 (when US could add some more international at PHL.) Perhaps I should have been more clear or used better punctuation.

Charlotte also added a new runway and more flights there means less competition. PHL already has ten pounds in a five pound bag

Talk about putting 5lbs of dooky in a 2 lb bag....I saw the CAD drawing on it and it is close to the east side taxilane...Also, LH has asked the airport to put a 747-800 on the CAD to see if it will work on their gate, talk about conjestion....
Are you referring to charlotte or Phl we saying LH asked the cadding to be put in place for the 748