We all need to wake up

BajaBabe

Veteran
Aug 9, 2005
Dear USAirways Pilots and Friends:

I must here respond to the tone, substance and message of Captain John Prater's recent letter to us, the Pilots of USAirways. I hope you will indulge me, as I (perhaps tediously) respond, paragraph, by paragraph, to the ramblings of Captain Prater (and no question, those of ALPA's Attorneys).

I hope you will print a copy of the attached letter and follow along. I think Captain Prater's letter most instructive, when read in context. (pour a cocktail, number the paragraphs and let's take a look!)

First though, I must say that the entire letter can be summarized thusly: (From the essence of Prater's paragraph four): Twenty-Five years ago, ALPA was at a cross roads, near the start of deregulation. ALPA failed that test, at Continental Airlines.

The debacles of the Frank Lorenzo era, lie squarely at the feet of ALPA....and the leadership at ALPA, has been scrambling, down hill, ever since. Since that time, by sharp contrast, "carrier-specific" unions have enjoyed increasing success, while ALPA carriers, have suffered tumult and strife; as ALPA tries, in futility, to serve its many masters, turning first this way, then that way....like Lucille Ball at that pastry machine.

In one of his key, (#4) paragraphs, Prater makes a leap of logic that has me scratching my head. He says, (of the Continental/Texas Air deal)....."a new MEC consisting of only former Continental pilots, gave Texas Air Corp. management the ability to divide us-and they did."

Captain Prater, just how does the composition of an MEC give any management "leverage"? Unless, that MEC lacks principled, consistent and moral union guidance from ALPA. What I hear you saying is, John; ...Lorenzo, recognized and took advantage of our lust for revenge and greed.....and we took the bait.

I submit that you are exactly correct; ALPA rolled over to the "former Continental pilots", allowed them to rape the Texas Air pilots, (revenge and greed are never useful)... and Frank Lorenzo didn't have to do a bit of the dirty work.

This is the classic example of what happens when a union doesn't stand for union principles. If Continental pilots had grit their teeth, and treated the Texas Air pilots fairly....who knows? The French, after World War One, with the Versailles Treaty sought and succeeded in giving the Germans the ass-kicking that they, the French, were unable to administer on the Field of Honor; very satisfying to the French...for a little while. Twenty-five years later....well you know history.

That union which stands for nothing, will fall for anything. Captain Prater, if you and the Executive Council do not stand up for the self-defining term, "seniority", you have lost the moral authority to represent the pilots of USAirways.

As concerns, "bottom-feeder" rates for pay,(still paragraph #4).....USAirways pilots, (under the stewardship of ALPA) are already enjoying that "benefit". Your other "scary" example from days gone by at Continental: no (virtually) work-rules and no (real) pension, well USAirways pilots have those "going for us", too! So,... what have you done for us, lately, Captain Prater?

Oh, that's right, (paragraph #1) you picketed at PHX and CLT, with your brother pilots. Isn't that your job? And, hey, who would miss a opportunity in front of TV cameras, when you are heading a national union? We should have charged you, for the media exposure.

Within paragraph #2, I find pandering to the USAirways pilots. ..."number-one priority because it was you who had the opportunity to put the 9/11 bankruptcy era, etc, etc."

Well, Captain Prater, I don't feel like your number-one priority any more. You and the Executive Council are behaving like a greasy B-B (no offense, Chris) on a glass-top table.....hard to pin down. The subject of our question happens to be, the single, most fundamental concept in unionism, the self-defining term,(for all other unions at least) of "SENIORITY"....should be easy. However, to better understand your concept of seniority, I'll talk about paragraph #5 later.

Paragraph #3 is more pandering. I am so happy that you are, "proud and impressed" with us. You are correct, at that time, when we were reasonably confident that an arbitrator on ALPA's approved list, wasn't smoking crack, the seniority integration was a minor distraction.

Now that (feeble and vague) ALPA Merger policy has been demonstrably ignored, and YOU won't do the right thing to correct it......the contract is of little import to us.

In fact, the lack of a joint contract is our only, "get out of (right-seat) jail, free card". But you could put this train back on the track with a simple affirmation of what seniority means......couldn't you? Then Westies get their new contract and Easties retain their seniority....what could be simpler?

AH, paragraph #5! Towards the end of #5, (page 2) Captain Prater waxes nostalgic about the bad old days, when deregulation and bad management put Braniff and Eastern out of business. He talks about companies which were, "growing", and those which were "dying". He is getting the pilots of USAirways used to the idea of "pulling gear" for younger pilots, based on the relative success of their employers....weird concept, huh?

Well friend, when USAirways brought over $600,000,000 of exit financing to a MERGER with a partner (AWA), who's ability to even finance their own, looming Chapter 11 filing, was in doubt, (see Project Zanzibar), who was living and who was dying? (AWA was so poor, they could even pay attention.

And more to the point: what in Hell does any of this have to do with union seniority? Captain Prater with his, not so subtle subversion, of the simple idea of seniority, as expressed in para. #5, makes his single most offensive reference, in his disgusting letter! Prater's words are exactly the kind of "management-speak" bullshit that is going to get ALPA relegated to the ash-heap of history.....not just here at USAirways, but in general.

In para.#6, Captain Prater wants us to forget the fact that our seniority might be thrown out the window, not just in this merger, but the next and the one after that, by convincing us of the imperative of us concentrating, immediately, on getting a joint contract! Such crap!!

He would prefer that the pilots of USAirways to also concentrate on building a stable company, using the, .."$85 million Major Contingency Fund for communications and strategic preparedness activities." (whatever those might be?)

Allow me to translate: If you guys at USAirways East,will simply forget that we at ALPA want to give away your one remaining birth-right, your seniority and longevity, we at ALPA will give you thirty pieces of silver; which, by the way, you gave us in the first place.

Fellows and Ladies, if ALPA will take an affirmative stand on seniority, we can get a contract. We don't need $85-million to do it. If they don't take a stand, no sane USAirways pilot is not going to vote away his future, (remember, more mergers coming, and ALPA merger policy remains flaccid), especially,for the sake of two, or so years of marginally increased pay, prior to the next merger. Even Captain Prater acknowledges there will be no contract, within the Nicolau Award.

Later in para #6, Prater makes a veiled reference to this strife putting USAirways out of business. Well, USAirways is the (gold-crapping) cockroach that won't die.

And, speaking frankly, if our brothers out West don't wise up and do the moral thing, it is most likely they who will be voted off this aerial version of American Idol....since the East is the money maker.

Again, this stuff is so far afield, and so insulting that I am embarrassed that a union leader would make these kinds of hollow, written threats....the kind that Mr. Lorenzo might have penned, two decades ago! Shame on you, John Prater!

In para #7 Captain Prater casts this seniority "problem" as one on the scale of the "Gordian Knot", which Alexander The Great, faced in his quest to rule the known World. Bullshit, John......ask your pals at the Teamsters what seniority means; they will tell you in about two sentences. By the way, Alexander didn't spend a week trying to undo the knot, he took the simple solution and cut the knot off with a sword.....crude, but decisive, what a concept!

I have nothing to say about para #8, because para. #8 doesn't say anything.

Now, para #9 is another matter. John Prater says: "I do not believe that there is only one "right" way to proceed." John, is that because you honestly are ambivalent about seniority in general,.... or simply ours? Would you, should you again, (perish the thought), become a line pilot, accept a pilot ahead of you on a seniority list who was an Apprentice Member when you had been a Journeyman for 16 years? No, I don't think you would. Do you think this is conducive to "fraternity"?

Well, I, unlike you, John Prater, think that there is indeed, "one right way to proceed"; and sadly that way is right out of ALPA. Your tortured logic is a "soup-sandwich".
As I re-read para #9 to its end, I must retract my previous statement about para #5....para #9 is now the single most offensive tripe in this letter.

para#10: Yes, yes.....let's take another poll!! We should always stick our wetted finger into the wind to see which way it is blowing, (at least for this particular merger). There is true leadership in action!

Hey, while we're at it, let's ask UAL, NWA, and our old buddies at Delta, what is good for the pilots of USAirways......they have our best interests at heart. We can collate that input with the Wilson Center data, and come up with.........the usual,indecisive, amoral mush. ALPA in (in)action, again, as always.

Paragraph #11 tells us that the greatest challenge facing us is to get a collective bargaining agreement. Really? The East pilots are "good to go" until October, 2009. It is the West pilots who are chomping at the Section 6 bit.

Captain Prater is worried that we will give away our current leverage, if we don't rush to a Single Collective Bargaining agreement, now. In fact, a CBA won't happen..... unless the majority of us are seduced into voting "yes" to a temporary pay raise,and permanent loss of seniority, (see earlier reference to 30 pieces of silver).

Captain Prater says that ...."pilots can best work things out pilot-to-pilot, rather than bringing in the lawyers".....(excuse me for a moment,...okay,I'm back now....... I laughed so hard that I actually vomited). Okay, John, you are "on". Write the pilots of USAirways another letter, telling us how you would react in our situation....period. In that letter, give us your definition of "seniority"; you know, pilot to pilot. You would like to make this a complicated matter......it isn't. If ALPA had stuck to its own principles ten years ago, we would not be in this mess.

In summary: The historical thread of ALPA's pandering to NWA and UAL, (in 1998), over those pilot's anxiety about a possible merger with USAir, leads us straight to the mess we have today. And now, in the height of ALPA arrogance, Prater wants us to compromise our seniority, coming to the table, to negotiate away a bedrock tenet of unionism,..... in order to fix, for them, a problem that ALPA National itself, created. You have to admire the chutzpah; you don't, however, have to participate in the insanity.

To give credit, at least in this letter, Captain Prater did not embarrass himself (again),by dissembling on the subject of overturning the Nicolau award, by the available means of decertification. Electing a new Collective Bargaining Representative (USAirline Pilots Association comes to mind), would likely do the trick, and he knows it.

Captain Prater also knows that legal precedent is worryingly against ALPA on this score. Seniority lives within and is defined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and John knows it, or at least the ALPA attorneys do. Why do you think we have commanded ALPA's full attention, lately, in light of the efforts to decertify?

John, I for one, have seen enough. I will remain in good standing until my fellow pilots at this airline have decided whether or not to remain with your decaying shell of a union. I'm sure you know how I feel and think. Whatever the outcome, I wish ALPA well. My decision is practical one, not an emotional one; although your ill-chosen words do evoke emotions within me.

I don't think the pilots of USAirways, East or West are any longer served by ALPA. You simply have no moral compass, and you serve too many masters. Again, you stand for nothing and therefore will fall for anything.

The guys and gals at Southwest and American Airlines are smart folks....what do they know that we don't? We are just as smart and capable.

Regards:

Great, AAA raised 600 million. Ok, why is the west even here then? I reckon there must be more to that story.

Is that the guy who got himself in a jam at security a few years back?

Great, AAA raised 600 million. Ok, why is the west even here then? I reckon there must be more to that story.

Is that the guy who got himself in a jam at security a few years back?

Not sure if it is, but I do know the guy at security won in the end.

Nicolau told the east the truth
Prater is telling the east the truth
The court will soon be telling the east the truth.

And still, they'll have none of it. They are rapidly running out of people who are willing to feed their fantasy.

Stephan is really being worked to the bone!

Just because the medicine tastes bad doesn't mean that it shouldn't be taken. The east's failure to negotiate reasonably got them in their predicament and that failure should stand as an example to any and all pilot groups who feel they can bully their way through a seniority integration. The next airlines who are forced into a shotgun marriage will remember well the east pilots and their unreasonable stance and where it got them. All pilots at all airlines will be best served if the Nicoalu decision stands and is fully implemented. Anything that undermines it, undermines the rule of law and promotes anarchy.

In the letter he gives credit to the APA for knowing something ALPA doesn't. He also talks about a "bedrock tenet of unionism", and we all know what he is referring to with that one.

Yep, the APA has shown what they think of that particular bedrock tenet.

If you can throw out an arbitrator's ruling, then what's the purpose of an arbitrator?

At least we all agree about Prater. So far, Nicolau has been the only one with the stones to be honest with the East rank and file. The East MEC hasn't done it, Parker hasn't done it, and PRater hasn't done it.

The only entitled people I see here are the west pilots who think their 7 years is worth 20. That''s f##### up. You can dance around it with one old man's decision, but THAT is entitlement at it's best. Now start your binding this and binding that all you want. As far as I'm concerned, you are robbers and thieves.
Thank God the f/a's were smart enough to prevent the same robbery to happen to them. At least there are 5000 employees that won't have to here the entitled bullshhiitt from some 20 year old.

The only entitled people I see here are the west pilots who think their 7 years is worth 20. That''s f##### up. You can dance around it with one old man's decision, but THAT is entitlement at it's best. Now start your binding this and binding that all you want. As far as I'm concerned, you are robbers and thieves.
Thank God the f/a's were smart enough to prevent the same robbery to happen to them. At least there are 5000 employees that won't have to here the entitled bullshhiitt from some 20 year old.
Really? Because entitlement to me is when a furloughed employee thinks they can step over all of the active employees to secure the next left seat block holding position available when they did not even bring a job to the merger.

Really? Because entitlement to me is when a furloughed employee thinks they can step over all of the active employees to secure the next left seat block holding position available when they did not even bring a job to the merger.
Similar to some New Hire West F/O with a few months at merger time, thinking they brought something to the merger. Ohh yeah, one that was working for a broke a$$ airline at that...which by all accounts on it's way to BK2!

Similar to some New Hire West F/O with a few months at merger time, thinking they brought something to the merger. Ohh yeah, one that was working for a broke a$$ airline at that...which by all accounts on it's way to BK2!
Oh boy here we go. I believe the "BK2" thing (West) about as much as the "days away from liquidation" thing (East) that some of these posters throw around on this board. It is too easy for anyone to spin the "what if" scenarios of these two airlines if the merger had not occurred to make their argument look better. In the end we will never know what these two airlines were capable of, good or bad, if we had not tried to combine.

I do believe that even though a new hire FO at AWA was only around for a couple of months they still brought something tangible to the merger that an inactive furloughed pilot at AAA could not. There must be some value in that or there would not have been furloughed AAA pilots already working at AWA when the merger was announced.

Latest posts