What Is Reserve Like At Us Airways?

Optimist

Aug 19, 2005
Since some of us are going to be bumped back on reserve, I am going to try to see the silver lining to this.

Question to the US F/As :

1. What is your schedule like on Reserve?

2. How many days off do you get a month?

3. What is your call out ?

4. How restrictive is it?

5. Do you have a DPU (Drop Pick Up), Trade for Trade system (Days Off and Trips) with other F/As?

6. Do you get TAG after the end of your trip?

7. Do you have a minimum trip guarantee?

I'm sure AFA will integrate our contracts and would like to know what the positive sides are. Thank you.

Optimist said:
Since some of us are going to be bumped back on reserve, I am going to try to see the silver lining to this.

Question to the US F/As :

1. What is your schedule like on Reserve?

2. How many days off do you get a month?

3. What is your call out ?

4. How restrictive is it?

5. Do you have a DPU (Drop Pick Up), Trade for Trade system (Days Off and Trips) with other F/As?

6. Do you get TAG after the end of your trip?

7. Do you have a minimum trip guarantee?

I'm sure AFA will integrate our contracts and would like to know what the positive sides are. Thank you.
[post="294669"][/post]​
This comes from a "lifer" on the US Airways reserve system, who more than any other F/A's have been treated like dirt. We are the stepchild of US Airways. Believe it or not, we still get alot of blockhunters who look at you as though you have the plague, and most of those actually spent only a few months or possibly a year on reserve status. Also, the system that most of the senior folks had, doesn't come close to comparing to what we have now. Now, on to your questions,

1. We are only guaranteed 11 days off each month. The days off vary widely,as we are given about 90 different combination of days off to choose from.

2. See above.

3. Crew Sched. calls reserve F/A's when a trip becomes available. If a trip opens up after 2100 EST. They leave it for the Schedulers in the morning. They start calling Reserves at 0500.( Even if the trip departs at 2100 that night.). Reserves get quick called if the departure is 90 minutes or less. Those calls are in reverse seniority.

4. Not sure what you mean here.

5. We have the ETB/FLICA, just like HP. We have it so Blochunters can drop trips to get to the 55 hour levels, as they have eliminated are options. Luckily, my union negotiated so that I can give up my days off and pick up these trips allowing blockhunters to drop the time. Anytime picked up on days off goes above a reserves min. guarantee. US wants all F/A's to fly 85-95 hours per month. We have this pathetic LTO(Least Time Order) system, thanks to AFA giving up our seniority. How it works is: If a senior reserve takes a trip, he/she drops to the back of bottom of the list, basically until everyone gets to that pecentage, then they can take another trip and do it over. If you pick-up a 4 day trip on the first, usually, yu are off until the 14th or 15th of the month.

6. Explain TAG, Please.

7. Normally, our trip min. guarantee is 20 hours(5 hour avg per day),BUT that goes away if their is a DH flight built into the trip. We get half pay, no credit for DH's. However, if you are a RESERVE The half pay is above our 71 hour min guarantee.

I hope this helps you, let me know if you have any more reserve questions. At over 16 years on it, I would say that I am an authoity on the subject. Lata.

Tag is when you are a reserve, get back to base at the end of a trip, call to be released, and find out you are being sent somewhere else rather then home.

hp_fa said:
Tag is when you are a reserve, get back to base at the end of a trip, call to be released, and find out you are being sent somewhere else rather then home.
[post="294697"][/post]​
That acan happen, but it is very rare. In 16years, they may have called me on the jetway twice, after my trip. Very rare.

N109UW said:
That acan happen, but it is very rare. In 16years, they may have called me on the jetway twice, after my trip. Very rare.
[post="294704"][/post]​

HP reserves need to call to be released and tagging is frequent.

hp_fa said:
HP reserves need to call to be released and tagging is frequent.
[post="294705"][/post]​
We are overstaffed enough not to have to worry about it. Only in extreme circumstances. US has always used their reserves as a flying position, instead of using them as reserves. Senior folks need to have a bid sheet to improve their trips with. That means less blocks for the folks who deserve them. Our Union protects the Blockhunters and pretty much sacrifices the reserves, It's pretty sad. Hope you, at HP, never have to go through want a reserve at US has had to. The only good thing about it, is that we are probably the best out here. Where else do you get people complaining that the want to work. Our union should have let some folks go, and I don't mean junior F/A's, instead of changing the reserve system. But our LEC didn't want to deal with it, as it didn't affect msot of his people. People are money to a union, but it sometimes is just not worth the hassle. Bummer. Oh well, we just adjust accordingly.

Just as one shouldn't group all reserves as one way or another, not all blockholders are "bad". I'll leave it at that.

kobe1 said:
Just as one shouldn't group all reserves as one way or another, not all blockholders are "bad". I'll leave it at that.
[post="294716"][/post]​
I agree with you, Kobe. I wasn't trying to imply that at all. I know lots of BH's. Most are great. I'm just saying, sometimes, we need to address the real problems here at US. Why should you have to change the whole reserve system to MAKE people go back to work. They didn't solve the problem at all. Now, reserves try to fly on their days off, and avoid flying on company days on. That's pathetic.

Optimist said:
Since some of us are going to be bumped back on reserve...

Hello Optimist,

I appreciate your name and positive attitude, but I am curious why you think that some of you are going to be bumbed back on reserve.

The only way the merger can effect your line holder/reserve status is if PHX is either downsized or PHX grows substantially and former U f/as enter the base. Even then, should there be a need for a signifant influx of former U f/as, there will be much more trips to bid on so unless you a very close to being a reserve right now, you should not loose your line.

I'm just wondering, since HP f/as have only the PHX base, if you all understand that bases are seniority specific. In other words, if there are no openings for U f/as to enter PHX, you will notice no change to your seniority status. And even if former U f/as can transfer into PHX, it would take a heck of a lot of incoming f/as to have a noticible effect on your bidding potential.

N109UW said:
3. Crew Sched. calls reserve F/A's when a trip becomes available. If a trip opens up after 2100 EST. They leave it for the Schedulers in the morning. They start calling Reserves at 0500.( Even if the trip departs at 2100 that night.). Reserves get quick called if the departure is 90 minutes or less. Those calls are in reverse seniority.

[post="294684"][/post]​
Actually after 2100 EST, crew scheduling will only cover trips for the next day that depart between 0500-0900 EST. Daily crew scheduling will cover all other trips.
In regards to "quick call", reserves will be called if the departure is 120 minutes or less. You still have the 90 minutes to report to the gate. With alot of RSVs sitting in some bases, many volunteer to go on quick call, so there is a good chance the junior people wont be assigned these sometimes awful trips.

:down: Reserve at U.S.Airways has to be the worst in the system.Do not allow the likes of M.M. to have there hand in inventing a plan that is unbearable

The reserve system at US is absolutely horrible. Ya wanna talk about your seniority not being honored. It's about as bad as you can get. Ya can sit OPR (On Premise Reserve) while a more junior person got called the day before with LGW just for example. The OPR positions may be all thats left. It really stinks. That took alot to get over if any of us really have.

I am not on reserve, and never really have been, except for when I was CMH based, and that was a whole different ball-game, and pre-union, besides.

But, I don't believe seniority plays much of a part in our reserve system at HP, as far as who will fly, and what assignments they get (trips vs hot reserve vs standby).
I believe they try to rotate thru the list and try to keep everyone averaging similar credit.

desertgal said:
I am not on reserve, and never really have been, except for when I was CMH based, and that was a whole different ball-game, and pre-union, besides.

But, I don't believe seniority plays much of a part in our reserve system at HP, as far as who will fly, and what assignments they get (trips vs hot reserve vs standby).
I believe they try to rotate thru the list and try to keep everyone averaging similar credit.
[post="294757"][/post]​
We actually have a "class" system here at US. Reserves are treat like " Do I need to put anything here". F/A supervisors and crew sched. treat us differently than blockholders. Scheduling sometimes feels as though you work for them, as they call you to either give or assign you a trip. You can't pass anymore, unless it's for your days off. Again, it is very sad the way RSV's have been sacrificed here.

At US you are released at the end of your trip and do not have to call scheduling at all. You are not required to answer the jetway phone and if you do then shame on you. If the company wants you bad enough they will reach you from the flight deck and then of course you would have to call them back. If they page you or call your cell you are not required to call them back.