What Is Reserve Like At Us Airways?

phl/yyz said:
it;s not that bad...just went back on RSV first time in years...had 4 legs today they CNX the turn 2ed and 3rd leg...now I am sitting at home checkin out the computer going to do my yard work and fly my last leg tonight...systems even offer me a day room...I like getting paid by the company to do my yard work and sit at home...it's all what you make of it...the glass is half full...at least I am not in MSY
[post="295096"][/post]​

Just wait----I felt that way when I went back on RSV for the first time in 19 years a few months ago. I got my secondary back just for August and had to fly weekends but it was so nice to know what I was doing.

Going back on RSV for September and probably for the rest of my life if I stay in PIT. I am dreading it.....not knowing what will happen in your life or if C/S will try to screw you is on my nerves. You continuosly have to watch the computer because C/S will skip people or call out of turn just to get a body on an airplane---they don't care.

I tried to have a positive attitude but when you get quick called to cover PHL trips because everyone over there is calling in sick cuz they can't get to work or don't want to, you'll start to really resent the system.

It's no fun when you are in the middle of yard work and your phone rings----your off on a 4 day trip with dirt under your finger nails and the hope that you remebered to pack clean undies !!!!

If you live in base our reserve system isn't all that bad.

On average I work 8-10 days a month. It's all about having catcrew (you can log onto the company computer) and knowing how to work the system.

If you want to work you can always put yourself on quick call and pick up a trip. (like Forest said "life is a box of chocolates...)

When your number comes up in LTO (least time order) then you pick a trip from what's available. Sometimes that could be just OPR or it could be LGW. Even if you are good for a 4 day, but prefer a 2 day and it's available it's yours.

If you want to make more money you can go on the ETB (electronic trade board) and pick up a trip. In the last couple months some people have been getting 100-150 hr. paychecks (ETB trips pay above and beyond gurantee).

It's all about making it work for you. Sometimes it's very inconvenient and other times it can be great.

tahitigirl said:
If you live in base our reserve system isn't all that bad.

On average I work 8-10 days a month. It's all about having catcrew (you can log onto the company computer) and knowing how to work the system.

If you want to work you can always put yourself on quick call and pick up a trip. (like Forest said "life is a box of chocolates...)

When your number comes up in LTO (least time order) then you pick a trip from what's available. Sometimes that could be just OPR or it could be LGW. Even if you are good for a 4 day, but prefer a 2 day and it's available it's yours.

If you want to make more money you can go on the ETB (electronic trade board) and pick up a trip. In the last couple months some people have been getting 100-150 hr. paychecks (ETB trips pay above and beyond gurantee).

It's all about making it work for you. Sometimes it's very inconvenient and other times it can be great.
[post="295821"][/post]​
Just an addition to this. You can jsut go to the ETB and pick up trips, but for a RSV thatis only on your days off. That means you are giving them up. That means you sit on your days on duty. Also, if you pickup a trip on the ETB(lets say a 3day) on your days off and then you are on duty for 4 days. You may end up flying 7 days in a row because by taking the ETB trip, you gave up the 24 in 7 restriction. If you don't want to work, this is a great system, but if you don't want to work, why are you even here.

airlinedivalish said:
I don't know what LTO means, so I can't comment. But it sounds like your reserve system is much better than HP. I hope they keep this system. I think it is wonderful. Reserves at HP needs a major overhaul and you are required to call scheduling and get tag etc. (Tagging means they can add a trip to your trip once you get back to your base) Some of the Schedulers at HP are vicious and they own your ass! You don't get to pick your trips and they give you bad trips if you turn it down or complain. They can also manipulate your days off and move them around. It's crazy! (I don't know why AFA agreed to this.) This has to go otherwise, you'll see more people quitting if we stay in this system forever. You don't get a life.
I like the reserve system at US better. I say, get rid of the bad things that no longer works in both AWA and US Contracts and keep the good ones. I would much rather have the flexibility.
[post="295127"][/post]​
AFA agreed to this becasue there are more blockholders than reserves, they are only interested in protecting their blocks. Wouldn't it be great if we had a rotating reserve then everyone could feel the humilation?

They never came up with the ETB to help RSV's. It was brought about as a way for blockholders to drop down to 50-60 hours, since all of the flying options were eliminated with our new contract. What will be great, is when US starts actually flying their RSV's during their "on-duty" days. Most won't go get time on the ETB,they won't have to. Guess who is going to be flying 85-90 hours. Can you say "Blockholder".

a320av8r said:
..."becasue there are more blockholders than reserves, they are only interested in protecting their blocks"...

Or maybe the majority???
[post="296641"][/post]​

My point exactly. Why should you care if it is not happening to you. However, now that reserve is at 17-20-21 years, some of the high and mighty have fallen and get to see how the "have nots" live.

skd said:
My point exactly. Why should you care if it is not happening to you. However, now that reserve is at 17-20-21 years, some of the high and mighty have fallen and get to see how the "have nots" live.
[post="296754"][/post]​
Maybe they should just finish what they started, by implementing Pref. Bid. The union didn't want that either, because blockholders would pretty much have to fly their blocks. They would not be able to drop trips due to vacation,as they would have to bid around vacation days. It would also allow for more blocks to be built, allowing for more blockholders. Then US could use their RSV's in a way a reserve was meant to be utilized. Just curious SKD, do you happen to be a RSV at US? As to your comment of " Why should you care if it is not happening to you." That is the exact reason our former LEC in CLT didn't get reelected. No RSV F/A voted for the guy and he didn't garner enough BH votes to offset it. And the reason I would care is because I would not want anyone behind me to suffer as much as myself in the last 16 years. I look forward to seeing this place as a positive work envirionment. Hey, I can dream, can't I. Don't get me wrong, I am not digruntled about being a reserve F/A, but giving up our seniority was pretty sad. Hope you are having a great day. Later.